Real time editor?

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
micdareall
Gnoblar

Real time editor?

Post by micdareall »

What do you guys think of an editor similar to that of the one built into the Torque engine. Allowing terrain sculpting and texturing in game as well as allowing drag and drop editing of the world and set up of scenes during the running of the simulation.
bibiteinfo
Gremlin

Post by bibiteinfo »

This is what GOOF is ... GOOF is still a work in progress, but it's the main goal of the program...

You may search a bit before asking questions.

Wiki :
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Ga ... _Framework
Forum
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2addons/viewforum.php?f=2
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

I believe GOOF is actually intended as an external editor. It is now running within wxWidgets. However, it is also intended that you plug in game-specific modules to allow engine-specific edits. I'm not sure if this is really an important difference or not.

The problem I see with these general editors is making one truly engine-agnostic will be too large of a project for SoC or it will be too specific for a good portion of the community to use. Maybe refine your idea a bit to give us a clearer picture.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Yes, the GOOF editor I'm working on is actually an editor framework with plugins. One of the plugins, called the World Editor Plugin allows you to do realtime editing using the GOOF engine.

The editor itself can be used for any engine and tool that uses Ogre (for example, terrain editing, resource editing and mesh viewing, tree generation, or whatever), but is pretty much just a shell for loading plugins. It has some helpful functionality, such as easily allowing you to add toolbars, docking windows, etc. and some helpful classes like the AxisManipulators that allow you to easily show move, rotate and scale handles like its done in 3ds max, stuff like that. A property grid helper class for automatically populating and handling properties. But as Praetor suggested, there's still most of the work going on inside the World Editor plugin itself. It's generic enough that it's a useful framework, but you couldn't just throw an engine in there and expect it to work easily - you'll have to make it do what you want.
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Falagard,

Honestly, when do you think GOOF Editor/Framework can reach beta stage? I am starting to think if that it may end up as a dead project. GOOF Editor/Framework is wonderful by its features alone, but if it is not completed then it is as good as nothing.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

syedhs,

My new website is http://www.goofvaporware.com

Seriously though, all I can tell you is that I'm working very hard on it and it's a lot of work to put together a plugin based engine.

I will complete it, and it will be good. Unfortunately I can only work on it in my spare time. It's definitely taking me longer than I wanted it to.
pekar
Halfling

Post by pekar »

Falagard, do you have an idea what GOOF will look like around june? I've been breaking my head on procedural generation these past days, and the GOOF seems like the best choice for a GUI.
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

Best choice for a GUI? What does that mean?

KungFooMasta
pekar
Halfling

Post by pekar »

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I've been poking around for SoC, and I was looking into GOOF as an editor (for procedural terrain/textures). It think it would be a good idea to use GOOF as a framework/editor for terrain, as it has a terrain editor plugin for PLSM. Any thoughts on that?
bibiteinfo
Gremlin

Post by bibiteinfo »

The link you give Falagard is not working, the web site is down or it's just a typo error?
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

:lol:
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

The link you give Falagard is not working, the web site is down or it's just a typo error?
The website link was a bit of a joke ;-)

Vaporware = software that's never released, hence goofvaporware.com
bibiteinfo
Gremlin

Post by bibiteinfo »

Haha ok I've been catch by my lack of english vocabulary :D
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

Haha ok I've been catch by my lack of english vocabulary
if only i could blame it on that too :P
Lioric
Google Summer of Code Mentor
Google Summer of Code Mentor

Post by Lioric »

Could you provide a better/detailed description of your project? How do you intended to provide the terrain editing features, will it be SceneManager specific?