GUI Idea

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

GUI Idea

Post by KungFooMasta » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Is this a place where I can throw out an idea?

What about something like BetaGUI, a GUI made out of OGRE's Overlay system?

BetaGUI has a great base to work with, but there is still a lot that could be added to make it more similar to other GUI libs, like CEGUI, while having the benefits of using OGRE as its native renderer, and using Ogre materials for easy skinning.

I'm not really proposing this idea myself, but wanting to see if maybe others would step up, or if this is even a feasible project.

Some things that could be worked on:
-overlay creation and maintenance, to allow for multiple GUI screens at different game states
-more input injections - mouse and keyboard. For mouse, there is only one inject function, which takes x, y, and if left mouse button is down. This could be extended to match the inject functions similar to CEGUI.
-more widgets

Maybe this list isn't big enough for a SoC project.. but it can be added to. Just want to see if anybody else thinks this would be a good idea, and if it could be somehow made into a feasible project. :twisted:

KungFooMasta
0 x

Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:34 pm

I was under the impression betjaen was in the process of extending and connecting betagui and betacairo into one GUI system. It seems like a fairly full-featured project, but still a little more light-weight than CEGUI. I'm not sure one its status, though. Perhaps betajaen needs to jump in and set us (or just me) straight.
0 x

KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:49 pm

Wow, there is actually a lot of people that really want a GUI lib implementation made via Overlays, including me! :D

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30106

KungFooMasta
0 x

betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:18 pm

Praetor wrote:I was under the impression betjaen was in the process of extending and connecting betagui and betacairo into one GUI system.
I am. Sinbad has kindly given me some space on the OgreAddons. Which I plan to expand it to support an effect system (based on Bullet BetaGUI that Tuan Kuranes modified) and a CSS type system for styles - which already works. BetaGUI and BetaCairo would be lovely, but it would be dependency hell; unless I can squish them all together into a nice shiny DLL.

Sadly, I've been very distracted with NxOgre 0.9 and university studies so I haven't had any chance to work on it for the last month or so.

But for now, use the Bullet Version - it is awesome :D

Infact you can try out the copy I was working on last. It's very incomplete, the GUI system doesn't work. But it's quite fun.
0 x