Questions about Ogre

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
kenhty
Gnoblar

Questions about Ogre

Post by kenhty »

Hello, I'm a student interested in Google SoC and am very enthusiastic in making games especially MMO. Therefore, I'ld like to contribute to the Ogre engine in the summer. Here's the questions I'ld like to know:

1. Is there any coding standard I need to follow?

2. Can I use C++ library such as Boost?

3. Can I use exception and rtti in my code?

Thanks in advance.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Exceptions are used quite a bit in Ogre and RTTI is on by default now I believe. For coding standards, I suggest you grab the Ogre source and have a look at the way the code is written now -- follow that and you'll be fine.

Ogre does not use Boost, and it would probably be unwise to use it in a SoC project because it introduces an enormously large and heavy dependency that really isn't needed.

BTW you would need to get a proposal together soon I think -- what did you have in mind?
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
buddy
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by buddy »

xavier wrote:Ogre does not use Boost, and it would probably be unwise to use it in a SoC project because it introduces an enormously large and heavy dependency that really isn't needed.
Hey, I did that last Summer! =) For the tool which is distinct from the "core" codebase the question of dependencies is not as critical (binaries are to be provided for most of users and those who want to compile it, well, they should already know what they are getting into ;)). There are also tools like bcp which let you "cut" the chunk of boost (although for me in most cases it meant that all of boost::mpl headers were copied ;), but once or twice the effect was impressive (just a few kilobytes of required boost sources which could be just copied into your "vendor" directory and carried along or whatever). Just watch out what you use from boost - if it relies on mpl to do the internals - then you are out of luck, if it is reasonably standalone, then ok.
kenhty
Gnoblar

Post by kenhty »

I think I'll give up this year. I've looked through the project idea on the wiki and it's look hard to me. I'm still a 2nd year undergraduate maths student and I didn't do anything like graphics programming or somthing like IK system, but I'm still interested in contributing to Ogre, maybe not in SoC.