Some other ideas

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Some other ideas

Post by tuan kuranes »

Dead line application approaching, if Official Ideas doesn't fit you, here's some new (unofficial) ones:

- Depth based compositor and compositor framework extension to allow advanced screen space techniques implementing "Accelerating Real-Time Shading with Reverse Reprojection Caching". Sample implementation test can be motion blur, depth of field, screen space crysis shadows, ssao, god rays...

- Template Based Material+shader library for ogre using latest script capabilities, and replace therefore all ogre samples material with only template inherited templates, along with a sample showing switch between multiple types (basic, basic + additive shadow, basic + integrated, etc... even depth render, deffered, cell-shaded)

- Implement "Fast Triangle Reordering for Vertex Locality and Reduced Overdraw" in ogre along with some vertex cache size 'guesser' to optimize mesh at real-time just before sending to GPU (appliable on mesh, renderable, static geometry, manual object, offline, etc...)

- Now that two core is standard and latest is four cores... do an OpenMP pass on all Ogre code, trying to take advantages of multiple core whenever possible (skeletal animation, culling, radix sort, particles update, etc.)

More generally have a look at GDC, I3D, siggraph, gpu gems, shader X, game programming gems papers/demo that are the most profitable to ogre core and gsoc timeline fitting...
steven
Gnoll

Post by steven »

A remainder: the deadline for Students is the 31 March...
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/ ... 1_timeline

So be quick ;)
Petya2164
Gnoblar

Post by Petya2164 »

Hi everyone!

I would like to ask you if any of these ideas are interesting for you regarding GSoC 2008.

-Cloud mesh
There's an interesting paper about real-time clouds at
http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Publications/2008/BNMBC08/

-Ocean mesh
Implement an Ocean-like mesh. An interesting paper:
http://www.presagis.com/files/whitepape ... deling.pdf

To tell you the truth, I just found those ideas on the Crystal Space site, but I think OGRE could benefit more if anyone implements them.
(And I would really wanna try it this summer.)

Please take a look at those, and share your thoughts.
If your answer is positive, then I will write my application fast.

Yours,
Peter
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

They're a bit far from Ogre core enhancements focus, that's for sure.

And 30-60fps at most on sea waves on a 7800gtx, 10fps for clouds on latest hardware... are they really production ready ?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

FYI Student application deadline has been extended to 7th April...