[SoC 2008] Ogre Material Editor

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
Hudson
Halfling

[SoC 2008] Ogre Material Editor

Post by Hudson »

The goal of this project is to continue the development of the Ogre Material Editor. The Ogre Material Editor was started during Google Summer of Code 2007.

In its current state the Ogre Material Editor supports syntax coloring of Ogre Material Scripts, provides a tree/hierarchical view of an Ogre Material Script, and allows the editing of Material/Technique/Pass/Texture properties via a properties panels.

This project will enhance the integration between text editing and the property panel editing of Material/Technique/Pass/Texture properties, increase the functionality of the material preview view, and most importantly integrate the editor with the new script compilers that are being developed.

The entire proposal may be viewed here:
http://www.hudsonb.com/GSoC/08/ogre_material_editor.pdf
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

Were the GSoC 2007 Material Editor project deliverables met? I'm not familiar with the schedule for that project, but I was expecting some sort of executable, even if it wasn't a fully featured application. There were several requests for additional information after the project ended, and as far as I know nobody really knew(knows) the status of the material editor that you worked on. Sorry if my post sounds harsh, I just want to help make sure this year's GSoC projects produce something that will be useful tp a lot of Ogre users in some way.
Creator of QuickGUI!
Hudson
Halfling

Post by Hudson »

as far as I know nobody really knew(knows) the status of the material editor that you worked on
Agreed, apart from a few who have contacted me with questions, most of whom were looking at the source code as a basis for their own applications, the state of the Ogre Material Editor is relatively unknown. The OGRE Material Editor wiki page remains the best source of information on which features are currently supported, and what issues exist.

This is one of the major motivators in continuing this work. A lot of the ground work has been laid, and with the work Praetor has done on the new script compilers, I believe integrating them into the application will be a big benefit (as well as helping resolve one of the biggest issues with the Material Editor which is the displayed script becoming out of sync when material properties are modified via the property panels).
Sorry if my post sounds harsh, I just want to help make sure this year's GSoC projects produce something that will be useful tp a lot of Ogre users in some way.
Not at all. We'd both like to see something of use come as a result of GSoC 2008.
Evak
Orc Shaman

Post by Evak »

I'm not familiar with the schedule for that project, but I was expecting some sort of executable, even if it wasn't a fully featured application.
I could never find a binary version, if it does get continued development it would be nice to get a version that artists can use without installing C++ and learning how to set that up.

I imagine 90% of people that use it will be artists without much clue regarding compiling.
Tenttu
Halfling

Post by Tenttu »

I don't think the new script system has any support for serialization yet, if ever.
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

Hi,

many links are dead in the wiki page www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/MaterialEditor
Hudson, can you correct this problem, please?

For screenshots/pictures it would be better to upload and link them. If you have problems with it (like positioning) I can help. I also could do uploading and including, if you want.

Beauty
FrameFever
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by FrameFever »

@Hudson
This project is not accepted to the GSoC'08, so what's up now?
Is this dead?
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Seems so.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

It's a shame, we'd really like students to carry on working on their projects after the summer is over, but that didn't happen with this one. The code is there for anyone to pick up should they want to.