Getting involved in Ogre (although I did not make)

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
Magdy.W
Gnoblar

Getting involved in Ogre (although I did not make)

Post by Magdy.W »

Hello,

I did not make it this year & I am the blamed person, harder work & better luck next year. :)

I am interested in getting started in Open Source, super enthusiastic about the idea of involved in big open source projects…
Moreover, after I have read this post http://groups.google.com/group/google-s ... bb78?hl=en
I am now so interested to have internship in Ogre this summer, but I am new in open source thing, I do not know how/from where to start, what I have to do, the sort of needed stuff.

So please, I need advices here… Am I really can have the opportunity to get involved in Ogre this summer? & work on one of its projects!!

I know it probably will be unpaid, but this is okay for me, definitely, I accept that, & the experience I will get it really enough for me. :)

Thanks. ^^
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Start by downloading the latest code from the CVS head, then compile it, the go the Help Requested page, select a subject and implement it.

Also - you can look at the Feature Requests forum and find a topic to implement.

Start simple and move up.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
Magdy.W
Gnoblar

Post by Magdy.W »

Great... will do that, but what's next?!!

I mean, will there be a mentor, and when I pick a subject I am interested in implementing it, should I mention that somewhere here!

Is anyone allowed editing the source code after get it from CVS, should I have first an account or something like that?

Should I make an official plan/proposal (for the ppl @ Ogre)?

& here is another important thing; can I consider the involved in an open source project during my vacation as an internship?

^^
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Is anyone allowed editing the source code after get it from CVS, should I have first an account or something like that?
If you mean editing your local copy, you can do as much of that as you like. Any changes can be submitted as patches for review. But there's only about 4 people who have permission to change the source code of Ogre.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

If you find an area that interests you and want to develop it you can start a thead in the development section. We are all sort of mentors to each other. Lots of peer review goes on here. When you've got a change coded up the best thing is to submit it as a patch to the sourceforge page.
Magdy.W
Gnoblar

Post by Magdy.W »

Well, that's sounds great...
So, here we go; Ogre is my target during this summer, thanks for these advices.

Congratulations & best of luck for the successful students in gsoc 2008. :)