[SoC 2009 - Accepted] Unified Samples Framework & Browser

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: [SoC 2009 - Accepted] Unified Samples Framework & Browser

Post by Kencho »

Vectrex wrote:Woah! for the love of jebus just use Navi! :)
Time to speak about Ogre being multiplatform ;)
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

I'm fully behind omniter on this one. As long as he is confident that the timeline is intact then this is as good a solution as any other, and better than most. Requiring anything outside of Ogre to compile and run the samples would need to be very compelling. I never liked the CEGUI requirement for the samples, and I'd say the same for any other external systems. I'd never give up my flash-based GUIs for my projects, but it's unnecessary to require such a thing for the sample system.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Re: [SoC 2009 - Accepted] Unified Samples Framework & Browse

Post by omniter »

A bit too busy and too tired to make a full update, but here's a quick video (very short, with no sound) showing what I have so far. The basic browser functionality is there now, but the interface layout is temporary, so don't worry if it looks a little weird right now. At the end, I run a sample that demonstrates the use of the new tray system. Hope you guys like it! :)

Video:
[vimeo]5519320[/vimeo]

And some screenshots (Though the screenshots don't do the main menu's animated backdrop justice. Watch the video!):

Last edited by omniter on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Well, whatever my concerns about wheel reinvention, those are some very nice wheels :) Good work, it's looking very slick.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Omniter, I can't but second Sinbad's comment :D Great job! Regardless of the GUI, the sample dynamic switching functionality seems to be done (or almost done). Kudos!
Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

Kencho wrote:
Vectrex wrote:Woah! for the love of jebus just use Navi! :)
Time to speak about Ogre being multiplatform ;)
Navi is multiplatform :D
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

I remember hearing it was Windows-only, but maybe that was just Awesomium :?
trnrez
Greenskin

Post by trnrez »

Looking very slick! Keep at it.
Image Image
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Another week, another video.
(There's a mistake in the video. At 8:49, I meant "lower resolutions", not "higher resolutions".)

I've basically finished all the main widgets for the tray system. This does not include the loading bar widget, which I will add later. Lots of cool features, everything's really easy to use, and I've made a new OGRE stats panel out of 2 widgets. This comes default with SdkSample. All it does is call mTrayMgr->showStats(TL_BOTTOMLEFT) and mTrayMgr->showLogo(TL_BOTTOMRIGHT).

Total requirements: ~2400 line header file + 173KB of resources.

No screenshots this time. Watch the video! :D

Next week I will finish all the browser features. Cheers.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Great work. I may have been skeptical about the approach of writing another GUI, but the results speak for themselves; this will be ideal for fast sample creation.

If I had a minor request, it would be to make naming the widgets optional, since that's a direction we hope to go with other elements eventually. But, it's not that important if you need to move onto other things.
omniter wrote:(There's a mistake in the video. At 8:49, I meant "lower resolutions", not "higher resolutions".)
I was confused by that, so that clears it up :)
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

omniter wrote:Another week, another video.
(There's a mistake in the video. At 8:49, I meant "lower resolutions", not "higher resolutions".)

I've basically finished all the main widgets for the tray system. This does not include the loading bar widget, which I will add later. Lots of cool features, everything's really easy to use, and I've made a new OGRE stats panel out of 2 widgets. This comes default with SdkSample. All it does is call mTrayMgr->showStats(TL_BOTTOMLEFT) and mTrayMgr->showLogo(TL_BOTTOMRIGHT).

Total requirements: ~2400 line header file + 173KB of resources.

No screenshots this time. Watch the video! :D

Next week I will finish all the browser features. Cheers.
Best placeholder words selection ever :lol:

"Pokemon: Bulbasaur"
"OMGLULZ"
"Hello OMG"

Very cool indeed, demo showcases are always the thing where i spend most of the time when i download a new SDK, and i can't avoid being disappointed when i find no fancy examples... so i'm wanting to play with this :D

PS: also the Sinbad Ogre will be released with the new demos?
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I am thoroughly impressed :)
Not only are you reinventing some very desirable wheels, and judging by the video it's going to be enjoyable and productive in use, but you are presenting it in a very informative way.
Two thumbs up! :D
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Duuuude, that's awesome!
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

I'm glad everyone likes it. :)
sinbad wrote:If I had a minor request, it would be to make naming the widgets optional, since that's a direction we hope to go with other elements eventually. But, it's not that important if you need to move onto other things.
Makes sense. I will definitely add that feature later on (gonna have some questions though). :)
_tommo_ wrote:PS: also the Sinbad Ogre will be released with the new demos?
This will depend on A: when the model is finished (texturing + animation, etc.), B: when the new demos come out, and C: whether the model is approved for the new samples. Best answer I can give is "I hope so." :)
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

It looks really excellent. The widgets seem to cover more cases than I expected at first. Plenty there to handle everything we would want to do with the samples. The browser is looking very slick now. I can;t wait to see it with all the samples loaded in.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
trnrez
Greenskin

Post by trnrez »

Just watched your tray manager video. :shock: The system looks top notch!!!
Image Image
progmars
Halfling

Post by progmars »

sinbad wrote: In my experience, people don't make these kinds of distinctions. They assume that if something is in OGRE when they get it, that it's the 'recommended' solution for everything.
:oops: yeah, it was pretty the same with me when I just started with OGRE. But as I am using OGRE for some experiments and quick-and-dirty demos, I really support the idea of this new and simple GUI for SDK Sample browser. It also will be great for people who do not want to spend much time and create astonishing complicated GUIs but instead concentrate more on application logic and use GUI just for basic controls.

And it looks really great and efficient, good work!

BTW, I have some experience with Adobe Flex/AIR. I think it is not worth to use it for Samples Framework. Too complicated. A year ago Flex/AIR was a bit buggy and crashed often without any obvious reasons and had many "underwater stones" for novice developers. Although I do not know how godd or bad is it now and without that all AIR thing.
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Yes I'm still alive. Sorry about the lateness guys, but I'll follow up with an update sometime later today, promise!
progmars
Halfling

Post by progmars »

Don't worry, take your time. I guess we can be patient for some weeks till the end of GSoC. But after that get ready for our questions, congrats and so on! :D
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Alrighty. Sorry to keep you waiting. Here's yet another video. :)

EDIT: WOA! Okay, the audio is off by like a whole darn minute in that video. It's fine on my computer, but Vimeo somehow messed it up. Please bear with me while I try to get a better version up. Sorry guys!

This week I made the main browser interface (there's a new thumbnail carousel), reloading functionality, and a new dialog system. There's a whole bunch of other error reporting dialogs in the browser not mentioned in the video. Also not mentioned is the fact that the dialogs are just combinations of a text box, buttons, and a second shaded backdrop layer. The configuration screen is in place, but some back-end bugs are giving me problems. In the coming week, I'll definitely finish the configuration screen and go on to the SdkCameraMan. :)

Here's some screenies:

Last edited by omniter on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Duuude, you're my hero :D

Looks very professional and slick! (I love the vignette)
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Woah. Extremely intriguing and well-done GUI design. Seems like there's no manual widget placement going on at all, correct? Just add it to a tray? Intriguing!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Nicely done! I like the look of the sample browser.

Maybe we should have an 'advanced' button on the config screen to fit all the extra params in, like sRGB, sync interval, NVPerfHUD etc? Probably don't want them confusing people or cluttering up the view but I use them quite a lot :)
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Glad you guys like it. :)

sinbad, I could just use an all-dropdown approach like the current config dialog. That way I won't have to treat options differently, and I can probably fit them all in one page.

Update: I fixed the configuration bug (and a few other small ones)! You can now change settings while running a sample, and the browser will reset and recover the sample, and attempt to restore it to the state you left it in (given that you implement saveState and restoreState for your sample). This all happens in 3 seconds on my notebook computer. This also means that there's probably no need to treat resolution change specially (which involves a lot of string manipulation that is totally dependent on a naming format that could always change), since the original reason for that was speed. The most important thing is that the current sample isn't lost.

And by the way (I forgot to mention last time), the tray manager now provides the screenToScene and sceneToScreen static functions to convert a 2D screen coordinate to a 3D ray, and from a 3D point in the scene to a 2D screen coordinate. It also has a non-static member getCursorRay, which uses screenToScene to return the 3D ray under the cursor. These will prove very convenient for mouse-picking and object-labeling.
trnrez
Greenskin

Post by trnrez »

Quick question about the tray manager. When adding a widget to a tray are they always sorted vertically? or is there a way to sort the widgets in a tray horizontally?
Image Image