[SoC 2009 - Accepted] Unified Samples Framework & Browser

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Re: [SoC 2009 - Accepted] Unified Samples Framework & Browser

Post by omniter »

The description's never really that long (most of them don't even need to be scrolled), and the problem with the old one is you couldn't really see many thumbnails at once, couldn't browse by category, couldn't select by name, etc. If you're worried about not being able to fit verbose stuff into the description, there's always the in-game help panel. Also, my options for the layout were kind of limited due to the use of trays. To be honest, I really don't plan to make any more changes to the browser appearance in the near future. My hands are full with conversion and soon, documentation. If enough people find the layout to pose any real problems later on, then I might change it. If it helps though, for now, I will make the description box a bit taller. :)

xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

I recognized that the whole menu is somehow "stuffed on one side" if you choose a high resolution. I fear its not easily possible to make the button/boxes size resolution independent, right?

xad

omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Yeah, it's actually quite impossible, since the whole widget system uses pixel metrics. If you choose a high enough resolution, the menu will actually unstick itself from the left side and go to the center tray instead, to avoid being too far from the carousel.

omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

I've converted 5 more samples: Smoke, TextureFX, Grass, CubeMapping and RenderToTexture. Well, actually, I merged RenderToTexture into CubeMapping. Planar reflection render-to-texture is already demonstrated by the Fresnel demo, so I basically made the CubeMapping demonstrate dynamic cubemapped reflections. I used one camera to render the scene at 6 different angles to 6 faces of a cubemap texture. The sample shows a fish swimming around an ogre head. The ogre head reflects the fish, the floor, and the animated skydome. I also renamed EnvMapping to SphereMapping, as environment mapping encompasses both sphere mapping and cube mapping, and the EnvMapping sample only demonstrates sphere mapping. The Smoke sample just shows an ogre head running around because its head is on fire. I've also changed the ogre head in the icy DynTex sample to a penguin I made a few years back. I thought it might fit the theme better. Hope you guys don't mind. :) It looks around and wags its tail and stuff.

So that's it for the samples. I will move on to making the documentation and tutorials now (and making the loading bar widget). :) I leave you guys with some screenies:

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

:D
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

It looks great! Congrats!

P.S. Love the avatar :P

xadhoom
Minaton

Post by xadhoom »

Looks nice! Have you forgotten to add a thumbnail for the spheremapping sample? I cannot find one in the media folder and it does not show up. The same applies for the penguin material.

Its a bit confusing that the fish reflects itself at the top of the Ogre head to some degree, which looks odd.
Maybe altering the camera position a bit would do the trick.

The new samples show very clear how much attention to the details you payed to most of them, especially compared to the old ones! :D

xad

omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Thanks, guys. :)

xadhoom, the thumbnails are in there. I don't know why you don't have them. Try updating to the latest revision. The source code, media.cfg and the media folder all need to be up to date in order for it to show up right. As for the fish reflection, it's just the way cube mapping works. Whatever object has the cubemap applied to it effectively has its entire surface reflecting whatever's seen from the mapping camera's point of view. Therefore, the top of the head reflects what is seen from the middle of the head (which is where the mapping camera is). And of course, since the middle of the head sees much more of the fish, the top of the head sees much more of the fish than it should. To fix this, I guess I could move the fish further away, thus decreasing the angle between lines-of-sight from the fish to any point on the head. Alternatively I could also make the head smaller. Either way, I'll get it fixed. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :)

Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

Nice Penguin. Should keep the linux people happy ;)
In fact I'd be all for replacing the ogre head where possible. It's not a very good model really. Not to mention the ninja and robot need to die :)

Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Vectrex wrote:Not to mention the ninja and robot need to die :)
What about this free robot model.
ATTENTION: This model is not for commercial use. It's intended for educational purposes. (Don't want Matt Groening to sue me :)
This zipped folder contains 1 x .cdr texture; 4 x .jpg textures & 3 x MAX 5.0 files, of BENDER from Futurama. BenderRAW is completed Bender file from 0 position (best start for your animation), BenderWALK & BenderDRINK are animated exemplary files and they are not finished in some aspects.
Attachments
bender.jpg
bender.jpg (12.62 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.

boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

This looks very nice,congrats,and can wait to give a look on your progress bar,maybe you can make usage on BSP demo like Ogre Loading bar,instead of your loading bar!
That would be great!

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Vectrex wrote:In fact I'd be all for replacing the ogre head where possible. It's not a very good model really.
That would be a very, very wrong move. :)
The Ogre head is recognised far beyond the borders of this small community, it spells 'Ogre used'.
If you see a tool with the Ogre head in it, you know that they support the Ogre mesh format in one way or another.
No no - let's keep that. Maybe an improved mesh, but definitely the Ogre head.
It's the Ogre equivalent of the Standford Bunny and the Utah Teepot. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

jacmoe wrote:No no - let's keep that.
Definetly second that. The Ogre head is just THE recognition symbol. Never try to get rid of it!
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...

Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Well, you don't have to have it in every single demo; This isn't the case even now. As long as it is part of 4-5 demos – I think you can switch to some other models like the penguin or anything else you think looks good. We can easily switch back later if needed to the Ogre model.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.

omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

I also think the ogre head should stay. Not only because it's a recognized icon though, but also because it's actually really good for samples. It's fairly round and not too stretched in any axis (easy to fit on camera and rotate), got lots of round surfaces (good for demonstrating all kinds of materials), and is just generally a convenient prop. That having been said, we also don't want to litter the SDK with tons of models. Having models of characters from shows/movies and stuff is also not such a good idea (we need original models). If anything needs to be replaced, I would vote on the spaceships and the space skybox (which looks more like the insides of a large intestine). The skybox sample is simply an eyesore.
boyamer wrote:This looks very nice,congrats,and can wait to give a look on your progress bar,maybe you can make usage on BSP demo like Ogre Loading bar,instead of your loading bar!
That would be great!
Thank you. :) But I'm kind of confused by that last part. I'm going to go ahead and assume you meant I should replace the loading bar on the BSP sample with my new one. In which case, no problem. That was the idea. :) I also intend to use it for a couple of other samples that take a few seconds to load, and also for the browser itself.

P.S. I still have that mascot character model coming. :)

boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

you're the best,you should become part of ogre and provide an example every one month,so ogre will become bigger!!
:)

Vectrex
Ogre Magi

Post by Vectrex »

I didn't mean get rid of the ogre head :) Classic overreaction :roll: I meant it doesn't need to be in every demo. Plus it's not a great model, in art style, technical quality and originality (it was from something else). So a better quality ogre head would be most welcome eventually. There's been a few attempts and so far omniter's is the best I think.

boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

I would like if you add Orhographic camera support to you sample browser and maybe Chase camera support :)

DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

boyamer wrote:Orhographic camera support
testOrtho() in PlayPen.
boyamer wrote:Chase camera support
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47850

boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Thanks for links,i know that,but have them into the Sample browser would be cool! :)

omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

boyamer, by this, do you mean adding a Chase Camera sample and an Orthographic sample?

DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

I disagree. Ogre is a 3D engine, and a chase camera is game-specific.

spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

DanielSefton wrote:I disagree. Ogre is a 3D engine, and a chase camera is game-specific.
I agree with the disagreement ;) . Concentrate on the big points / features. A chase camera is not a key fact / scenario of / for Ogre that needs to be shown in the samples.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...

omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Exactly. So adding orthographic "support" or chase cam "support" to the browser doesn't really make much sense. Adding an orthographic sample might make sense, to demonstrate the engine's ability to render 2D graphics, but chase cam should at most only be featured in a sample about something else.

boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Well then,maybe an ortho demo would be nice :) if all here agree of course!