SoC for newcomers?

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
manvsmachine
Gnoblar

SoC for newcomers?

Post by manvsmachine »

This may have been asked before, but after searching the forums I haven't been able to get a clear answer: do SoC applications from newcomers realistically stand a chance of being accepted? I don't mean to infer anything; I have just noticed that all the suggested proposals have been from people with a significant amount of experience with OGRE, and I wasn't sure if there was a specific baseline level that had to be met for an application to be considered.

I ask this because I am interested in taking on one of the tasks from the "Help Requested" list, specifically 1.11 ("High Speed Particles"), but am new to OGRE. I've pulled down and built the code, read the manual, and am starting to work through the tutorials in order to familiarize myself with the platform. If there is a specific level of OGRE proficiency that you are looking for, I'd appreciate suggestions. Conversely, if I'd just be wasting everyone's time by applying, please let me know.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: SoC for newcomers?

Post by Noman »

Hello!

First of all, if you want to apply and think that you can get the job done, apply. Nobody will hate you for it. The worst case is that you won't get selected, and that's OK.
You should think about the application not just as pitching an idea to the team, but pitching YOURSELF to the team. Why do you think you can make it work? If you have none-Ogre based 3D experience, it's also a plus.

Generally, I think its very possible to judge a person's knowledge by the level of their application. If your application is well researched, organized and thought out, the team will see it and you will have a decent chance. On the other hand, copy-pasting from the "Help Requested" list will probably not get you far (I'm not saying that you did that by taking an idea from the help requested list, but about the application that you will submit). There is still time until the submission deadline (when is it by the way?), and you can do a lot until then. Read up on the subject, get familiar with Ogre, and show the team (and the community) that you know what you are about to do and can do it. A small demo of something related can help too, but it is in no way mandatory.

Good luck!

(I am not a team member and the team may think differently from me, but I think that I'm not far off)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: SoC for newcomers?

Post by sinbad »

That's a fair summary, but it's also fair to say that as a newcomer, you obviously have a little extra to 'prove' to us regarding your application. I'd reinforce what Noman said about it being about you pitching yourself to us, not just the project idea - in fact that's what it's mostly about. Even if there's an idea we absolutely love, if we're not sure about the person pitching it, it won't get accepted.

Obviously someone who has been in the community for a while and has pitched in with code and discussion already has an advantage in proving that they have what it takes to complete the project, but that doesn't mean those who are new are not considered. Several accepted students in the past have been new to Ogre, but it does mean that you need to have some background in the field that you're pitching the idea for, and show something concrete of your experience in it (code, academic papers, etc). If you have no background in either Ogre or the subject matter (or graphics coding in general), then it's less likely that your application will be accepted.

I hope that clarifies the situation!