[GSoC 2011] Nextgenify (as in 'go nextgen')

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
so0os
Bugbear

[GSoC 2011] Nextgenify (as in 'go nextgen')

Post by so0os » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:01 am

Since GSoC ideas started poppin up, maybe I add my two cents.

My idea is to commit a bundle of changes that will update Ogre with latest graphics rendering tech support, so it can be used to produce AAA looking games and visualisations. I may be missing a few facts, but that's what comes to my mind so far:

- Finish Direct3D 11 RenderSystem
- Provide an easy deferred shading solution, that can be enabled as easily as changing a scheme for a viewport. It's not that bad, but I guess providing DS support straight of the bat is essential for this task.

So.... is the idea worth anything?
0 x
Sos Sosowski :)
http://www.sos.gd

DavlexDesign
Gnome

Re: [GSoC 2011] Nextgenify (as in 'go nextgen')

Post by DavlexDesign » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 pm

G'day so0s,
Wait for the next incarnation of this demo, I think you might be pleasantly surprised, and hopefully some of this stuff could end up in the mainstream and help the guys get just that (NextGen).

Alex
0 x

spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 pm

DavlexDesign wrote:Wait for the next incarnation of this demo
Which demo? Am I missing something?
0 x
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...

DavlexDesign
Gnome

Post by DavlexDesign » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 am

G'day spacegaier,
spacegaier wrote:Which demo? Am I missing something?
The OGRE ROAM planet engine demo

Alex
0 x

so0os
Bugbear

Post by so0os » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 am

Cool ;) But what about the idea? Is it even a good one? Also, isn't it too much?
0 x
Sos Sosowski :)
http://www.sos.gd

Deathgunner
Gnoblar

Post by Deathgunner » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:18 pm

With a completed directx11 implementation, Solid wireframe could be implemented :)

link: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/wh ... eframe.pdf
0 x

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:35 am

Moving toward DX11 sounds like a very good idea. Essential, even. While DX9 might still be big, I don't think programmers will be able to get away with it for that much longer. With so much emphasis being given to hardware tesselation, it becomes an obvious Ogre blindspot. (Ogre doesn't support hardware tesselation atm, does it?)

Although that's probably too big for a GSoC project. I don't know, depends how much leverage you get from the existing DX work.

Deferred shading I'm not so excited about, because you can already set it up yourself. I use my own version of it and think it's better when you customize it to your exact needs. Not that it would hurt to have it simplified, but it wouldn't seem like the engine was being pushed forward that much.
0 x
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.

spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Well, Assaf is already working on some DX11 parts: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... ad#p418676

Those things are on his plate:
1. multi-GPU support for GL and D3d11.
2. Tessellation shaders.
3. Texture array support.
4. Samples compatibility with D3D11.

But I guess parts of it or other things in that area could be perfect GSoC projects (if the size matches the time).
0 x
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...

DavlexDesign
Gnome

Post by DavlexDesign » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:19 pm

so0os wrote:Cool But what about the idea? Is it even a good one? Also, isn't it too much?
Of course it's a good idea, differed rendering also, as I think it is the way to go for inside environments, if you want believable lighting, then you need it I think.
As for the rest of the stuff, well, anything that improves efficiency and performance has to be a good thing, don't you think.

Alex
0 x

madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Provide an easy deferred shading solution, that can be enabled as easily as changing a scheme for a viewport.
Concerning Deferred shading (I will write 'DS'), there was already a soc on the subject, and it went correctly and the student is now member of the team (Noman).

I think that the real world problem for DS is to create all the different shaders (ex: if you have a material with 1normal map, 1 env map, 1 lightmap on coordtex 2, 1 diffuse, 1 projected shadow, then you need another one if you have only 1 map that differs, or if there is transparency etc...). And after the shaders, you need to create the pipeline for the content (<=> exporters that use the new pipeline). Each DS project has different needs (motion blur? specular? hardware skinning? refraction?), so writing the shaders and exporters become the limiting factor IMHO.

IMO, the RTSS system is a good thing to correct this (even if I never used it myself).
0 x
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0

Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:18 pm

I think the two ideas are both good, but each one of them is big enough to be a SoC project.
Finishing a rendersystem is a lot of work, especially since many 'minor' features need to be also tested.
As for deferred shading, I agree that the correct thing to do is to adapt the RTSS to work in the deferred pipeline. This is an interesting project, but is also big enough to be independent.
0 x

al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:41 pm

I agree with Noman, I think adapting the RTSS to work in a deferred pipeline is a great idea, infact I have been looking at it myself. However it is quite a large task and dont have much time to play :( !
0 x

fzh
Gnoblar

Post by fzh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Having been using Ogre and in the forum (lurking - as could be seen from post counts...) for a little over 4 years, from the perspective of an user, D3D 11 support, especially hardware tessellation support is something I would really love to see included in Ogre. In fact, I wanted a free open source D3D 11 3D engine so bad it's the cause for my first attempt at a 3D engine directly from d3d api, which didn't go too well considering how much work it takes to have an engine as good as Ogre. Will be participating in this year's GSoC as well, hope to have a chance to work on this great engine.
0 x

jonim8or
Goblin

Post by jonim8or » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:45 pm

Maybe implementing a Deferred version of PSSM would be part of the NextGenification...
Deferred PSSM: I thought it might be interesting to render the frustra of PSSM shadow cameras as render shapes, similar to spot lights. In this way the shadow texture can be re-used
0 x