[GSoC 2011] Students knowledge

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
hilnius
Gnoblar

[GSoC 2011] Students knowledge

Post by hilnius »

Hello,

I just tried Ogre3D last year, and I really enjoy its feature.
This year, I will be 18 so I decided to apply to GSoC 2011, and I just saw that Ogre is applying to GSoC.
As it seems to be a really hard job, I was wondering : what does students have to know about C++ or graphic APIs or general graphics ?
Basically, I worked on many little projects where I was the only developer, but nothing was really hard.

Thanks
Hilnius
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [GSoC 2011] Students knowledge

Post by spacegaier »

Well, I'd say you need at least advanced C++ skills and a good knowledge of Ogre and its internals which automatically means that you have some basic knowledge about 3D graphics.

But it is rather hard to specifiy. You need to know enough to get the job done basically ;) .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
icepick
Gnoblar

Post by icepick »

Are there any bug/cleanup tasks that are beginner friendly? I saw the requested features list and am just planning on digging in there (hopefully this week) and starting something if there's nothing more geared towards us ogre noobs.

Thanks!
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Have a look at our bug tracker. The ones marked as [papercut] are probably perfect for starters to get into the patch process and then later there are more serious ones to cover. More on how to can be found on http://www.ogre3d.org.

http://www.ogre3d.org/mantis/my_view_page.php
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
hilnius
Gnoblar

Post by hilnius »

Do you mean I can apply to GSoC for ogre only by correcting papercuts ? or should I now correct these errors in order to work more on Ogre ?
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

No, bug fixing is surely not a GSoC project! I only meant them as a possible entry point to get into the internals of the Ogre archtitecture. These insights are needed to have a chance with a GSoC project...