[GSoC 2011] Ogre procedural scene generation - buildings

Post by cezza » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:15 pm

Personal Details

• Name: Nicole Steiner
• Email: nicole_steiner@gmx.net
• OGRE Forum username: cezza
• GTalk or Skype ID (for IM and voice chats): N_cezza9

Project Proposal

We are a team of five students of computer sciences at the University of Vienna. As a project we would like to realize the idea of procedural game-scene generation in OGRE. Playing levels that look the same every time again and again gets annoying shortly after. Therefore it is our aim to develop an application that allows the developers the procedural creation and designing of cities depending on his/her preferences and individual prospects. This enables the developer to create sceneries that change for every game turn. The features will be afforded by means of some input parameters.
In detail our application allows the procedural generation of different category groups. First, it will feature the generation of a suitable city layout with different special areas (like rivers, places). It will also allow the creation of buildings that differ in looks, height and size, what can be defined by the user. In addition the city will be endowed with various details (park benches, lamps, trees, etc.) that can be chosen by the developer and animated with pedestrians and cars that move around in the streets. By means of these offered options it will be possible that every version of a game turn differs from a previous one.

As mentioned above, we are working in a group of five people. Therefore we have divided the project into several subtasks. My job will be the procedural generation of the buildings. Thus, I am responsible for the implementation of the building creation and of placing the buildings only in those areas where it is admissible in accordance with the layout specifications (what is another subtask of our project). It must be possible for the user to choose from various textures for the buildings and to configure the size, height and type of it.

For the graphics and animations of our project we will use the OGRE-engine, but the whole project itself will rather be a plug-in than in the core scope of OGRE. Nevertheless ORGE users and also other developers can benefit from our application because it will be a big advantage and facilitation for the generation of games and game scenes. Given that we are a project team of five students and that we need some results of this project for our bachelor work too, it will be possible to realize our intention for the most parts over a summer.

Schedule

31. March – 7. April
• Research on the topic “procedural scene generation”
• Getting to know OGRE
• Establish development environment
• Run „Hello World“ Example
• Extend „Hello World“ Example for building a square

7. April – 14. April
• Research on “procedural building creation”
• Determine related implementation examples
• Create first draft of a class-diagram

14. April – 5. May
• Implement classes so that the program can be run for first testing
• Refine and improve class-diagram
Result:
• Generation of squares of a certain height within the specified coordinates

5. May – 2. June
• Refine and improve the implementation
• Extend the implementation and add missing features
Result:
• Creating different building textures
• Adding texture to the square
• Generation of a building of a certain height within the specified coordinates

2. June – 30. June
• Testing and Debugging
• Refine and improve the implementation
• Add missing functionality or features
Result:
• Generation of different building types (with different details) of a certain height and size within the specified coordinates

30. June – 4. August
• Testing and debugging
• Clean up code

4. August – 25. August
• Final testing and correction of the code
• Write documentation

After GSoC the project could be extended in many ways. It would be possible to add more textures for the streets and buildings or to additionally create new areas, vehicles and detail objects for the city.

Why I Am The Person For This Project
I am a student of computer sciences and communication, which most of the people think is a rather unusual combination, but therefore I can exhibit both that is required for this project, technical and communication skills. During my studies I have gained a lot of programming experience, especially in Java and C++. I am also comfortable with programming web applications in PHP.
Through many projects that I did for school and university, I learned how to work in teams and in the meantime I would describe myself as a brilliant organizer. In my previous job as Help Desk Support Engineer at the software development company Thales I had to arrange between users that had technical troubles and the software engineers, what improved my communication skills a lot. I am a communicative person and enjoy working with other people.

In fact I have not been using OGRE for a long time, I just started working with it since the idea of taking part in this project came into existence. There are students that have much more experience with graphic systems for sure, but I am very interested in the concept of OGRE and eager to learn more about it because the possibilities it offers are fascinating for me. I like challenges and this project would be a sophisticated one. I would learn everything that I have to know about OGRE for realizing this project successfully because I would like to prove myself – and also to some other people - that I can manage it. As I am a very determined person, I always work hard and give my best to reach the goal that I have set myself. For me, it would be a privilege to be accepted in Google Summer of Code and becoming a part of OGRE. Especially because I am not a “typical computer scientist” and not (yet) a perfect programmer it would make me very proud and also happy to earn professional respect through this project for my occupational future.

Why OGRE?
Although I am new to OGRE and do not have much experience with it yet, I think that the concept behind it is great. As an open source graphical engine, it is a big opportunity for independent talented developers to easily create ambitious interactive 3D apps. Our team chose to apply for the OGRE project because we are interested in procedural scene generation and OGRE seems to be the best possibility for us to realize our idea. It is easy to use und offers many possibilities for the development of 3D applications. As I ran OGRE for the first time I was amazed by its various sophisticated features and simultaneous usability. It will be very interesting for me to work with and I would be proud if our project would become a part of OGRE.
0 x

spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [GSoC 2011] Ogre procedural scene generation - buildings

Post by spacegaier » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:09 pm

I fear that you are a bit too late, since the deadline from google until they accept proposals is in some hours: 8. April 2011, 19:00:00 UTC

Hard to refine your proposal until then, but that is basically up to Noman. Probably best if you go through the other GSoC threads here to see what they did and try to provide as much information as possible until the soon deadline.
0 x
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...