spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

[GSoC 2013] Information / Guide / Links

Post by spacegaier »

GSoC_2013_banner.jpg
GSoC_2013_banner.jpg (16.81 KiB) Viewed 19748 times
What is Google Summer of Code?
It's an initiative by google to encourage contributions & involvement of students in open source communities. Read more about it here. Or google it ;) .

How do I sign up?
Formal registration isn't open yet. This is the page containing the full timeline of the project. The important dates for students are:
  • April 22: Students begin submitting their proposals on the GSoC site.
  • May 3: Student application deadline.
What do I do until then?
Discuss and suggest. This forum is for talking about potential ideas. Pretty much all of the projects that we chose have had preceding discussions in this forum. Its a good idea to get in-depth before submitting the proposal. Consider looking at previous years GSoC project threads to see how they worked.

Where can I find ideas?
See links below...

What should my application look like?
The application template page is the basic reference. Remember that in the application you are pitching both your idea (as a good idea for Ogre) and yourself (as a good candidate for the project). Don't underplay either one.
If you want to see how a finished application might look like, you can see the Ogre GSoC wiki page and browse the projects that were accepted over the years.

How do I submit my proposal to Google?
See this GSoC 2013 FAQ chapter: http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/docu ... dent_apply Before sending it to Google, it is best to discuss in here in the forums first!

Main organizer from the Ogre3D Team
Noman (PM)

Sources of inspiration:
Main Source:
Topic Proposals from Ogre3D Dev Team

Secondary Sources:
GSoC Project ideas
GSoC 2012 Community ideas (last year's ideas can still serve as inspiration)
Help Requested wiki page
Ogre GSoC forum section (look for previous projects ideas that did not make it in the last years, but might now)

Useful links:
Ogre GSoC 2013 wiki section
Ogre GSoC Application Template
Official GSoC 2013 timeline
Official GSoC FAQs
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...