Siggraph 2006 - anyone else going?

A place to plan OGRE-related meetings and events.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Siggraph 2006 - anyone else going?

Post by sinbad »

Hey folks,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm expecting to be at Siggraph 2006 this year (for those who don't read my blog). :D

As well as attending the conference proper, I'm hoping to get a Birds of a Feather session set up for OGRE too, to do a bit of OGRE publicity and generally meet people whilst at the conference. And of course, I'll be there all week anyway and will be glad to meet any OGRE users who happen to be there.

So, who's planning on attending this year? :)
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

I'm hoping to attend, but since it's so soon from now I don't know if it'll materialize. It's actually not looking good, but maybe things will pan out for me. I did go to E3 on an almost zero budget. :)

Question, is "Conference Select" really that preferrable over "Exhibits Plus" (Full Conference being totally out of the question for me)? I don't see much it offers that's worth three times the price.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Panels, special sessions, a few others: http://www.siggraph.org/s2006/main.php? ... categories

I'm still pondering the pass too, I think it's going to be conference select even though there's a good few paper sessions I'd like to go to. I hear from friends who have been before that it's not too hard to blag your way into a couple though so that might be an option :)
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

My roommate is from boston and we want to go sooo bad. Sucks that it's during the week cause there's no way I can get off work (already taking a week this summer).

Hope Ogre has a good showing. How could there be any birds of a feather? After all Ogre is the only thing in it's category: Best Free 3D Engine.
Lioric
Google Summer of Code Mentor

Post by Lioric »

To get a visa to USA, the application should be made from 3 to 6 months before the trip date, and you need to pass all of the paranoia of the US custom's agents, so i dont have any plans to travel to USA in the near time

It would be great to help promoting Ogre there, best of luck Sinbad

What about Eurographics? is this a similar event? if Ogre will be there, i will be there too for sure
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

It might be similar but I'd say that Siggraph is in a league of its own. There really is nothing "like" it anywhere.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Lioric wrote:To get a visa to USA, the application should be made from 3 to 6 months before the trip date, and you need to pass all of the paranoia of the US custom's agents, so i dont have any plans to travel to USA in the near time
Ouch. Thank God for the Visa Waiver Programme us Brit's get to use :)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Lioric wrote:To get a visa to USA, the application should be made from 3 to 6 months before the trip date, and you need to pass all of the paranoia of the US custom's agents, so i dont have any plans to travel to USA in the near time
Ouch. Thank God for the Visa Waiver Programme us Brit's get to use :) I went to the US last in 2003 and although the queues were long, it wasn't that bad.

Is your country not in this list then? http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp/w ... 990.html#2
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

i would go, but im too young
Lioric

Post by Lioric »

My actual country is not part of the Visa Waiver Program (in fact 99% of this continent is not, except, of course, USA)

The last time i went to USA (and that was before the 9/11), i had to be in the queue from 4am to process the visa in the local office, and the interview was like talking to a military guy, in fact, they put a microphone a few centimeters away so your words are forwarded to the 200 persons in the wait queue outside to try to make you nervous or some, and a security guard is right next to you

That day, if i remeber, there were about 500 persons that applied for a visa, and they just approved visas for a girl and myself

They charged 50 dollars (now is more) per person, visa approved or not, a non-refoundable deposit to have the honor of be interviewed by some paranoic guy, so they did 25000 dollars that day, not a correct or ethic bussiness
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

wtf :shock:
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Yeah. that is freaking crazy.. And you know, us US citizens are not any safer for it :/ Stupid politics and right wing conservative nutjobs :(
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

I'd go if it were in California like GDC and E3. ;)
Lodes
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Lodes »

Next year it is in San Diego! :)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Looks like my OGRE BOF might be a little bare then ;) I guess I could still run it anyway and see who turns up, you never know...

@Lioric: wow, that sucks.
joshcryer
Gnome

Post by joshcryer »

Don't be discouraged sinbad, I'm sure people will show! :D
Bloodypriest
Goblin

Post by Bloodypriest »

Heh thanks god I live in Canada. We just need a valid passport to enter the USA.

One thing I've found weird last time I've went to the US is the shoe screening. Those guys are really weird wanting to smell our shoes' odor. Seriously, if someone was hiding a blade in his shoes, he wouldn't pass the metal detector so what's the need for it? Talk about paranoia.
bisco
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by bisco »

Hey, I'll be there too.
Sinbad, if you accomplish setting up anything for OGRE just tell, I'll be glad to pass by and get to meet some of you guys from the OGRE team ;)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

bisco wrote:Hey, I'll be there too.
Sinbad, if you accomplish setting up anything for OGRE just tell, I'll be glad to pass by and get to meet some of you guys from the OGRE team ;)
Woohoo! :)

I've requested space for a 1 hour BOF get-together on the Thursday, I'll let you know if it gets approved.
bisco
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by bisco »

great!
I'll definitely be there :mrgreen:
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

It's been confirmed :)

BOF: OGRE Community Meet Up
Date: Thursday 3rd August 2006
Time: 2:00-3:00pm

I'll post a news item to officially announce it once the session is showing on their website.
sjcomp
Gnome

Post by sjcomp »

It looks like I have no choice but to come :) Hope to see you there.
Regards, Alexander. http://sjcomp.com
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Bloodypriest wrote:Heh thanks god I live in Canada. We just need a valid passport to enter the USA.

One thing I've found weird last time I've went to the US is the shoe screening. Those guys are really weird wanting to smell our shoes' odor. Seriously, if someone was hiding a blade in his shoes, he wouldn't pass the metal detector so what's the need for it? Talk about paranoia.
It's not the blade, it's the possibility of explosives after the "shoe bomber" incident" some years ago -- it's also airline only; they don't actually screen you coming across the border on the ground now do they?
Bloodypriest
Goblin

Post by Bloodypriest »

Ah. I was too young to care about such things some years ago. I've only started reading the newspaper this year and wanting to travel too. Guess it's a mid-twenty thing wanting to do more than sit on your ass or maybe it just took me a bit longer to grow up.
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

Who's gonna set up a webcam?!

or at least take pictures (with captions) :)
phear hingo

My Webpage