Learn How To Become a Successful Indie Game Developer

A place to plan OGRE-related meetings and events.
roop452
Gnoblar

Learn How To Become a Successful Indie Game Developer

Post by roop452 »

India Game Developer Summit 2010 – First, Independent Event on Game Programming, Business and Careers

Bangalore, February 15, 2010: Game development is heavily bound by huge capital investments by the game publisher. The term 'Indie' is commonly used in the game industry to represent a small team or an individual who independently develops a commercial-quality video game. Indie developers cannot match the resources or might of the large producers. So where does that leave a developers who is solely relying on his programming skills and self-determination to create games outside this restrictive relationship? At India's first and independent annual summit for the game development ecosystem - India Game Developer Summit (http://www.gamedevelopersummit.com/) Karthik Subramaniam aims to help independent game developers succeed in the competitive game industry. Few young and energetic entrepreneurs/students choose the indie route rather than joining a professional game studio to unleash their creative freedom. Indies have challenges in all aspects of game development such as funding, developing, publishing, marketing and selling their games. It becomes increasingly difficult to have access to expensive state-of-the-art tooling for creating game content.

Karthik's talk covers all aspects of Indie game development ranging from the choice of gaming platform - PC/Mobile/Console to pros & cons of self publishing and digital distribution. Since indie teams have budget constraints, they don't have access to modern 2D and 3D content creation tools that professional game studios use. To address this specific problem, the session shows how high-quality open source content creation tools could be used as a viable alternative to their commercial counterparts. This presentation introduces a set of free, production-quality open source software such as Blender, GIMP, MyPaint, etc with a brief overview of their capabilities. Depending on the type/genre of game, indies can benefit from open source game engines to drastically reduce time to market. The session concludes with the presentation of a cost-effective marketing strategy and few successful indie case studies.

Karthik keeps a day job with an IT software services company, but spends his free time evaluating open source game development tools and understanding the latest trends in game development. A hobbyist, he closely follows the global game industry with specific focus on challenges and business models of independent game development. The free 2D action game 'Indian Commander' Karthik developed has been published in several websites such as CNET's download.com and recorded more than 20,000 downloads.

Featuring top-notch keynotes from luminaries, visionaries and gaming gurus IGDS has announced the line-up of speakers and stellar sessions covering everything from GPU Computing for games, open source for your game development, bootstrapping for mobile game development, high fidelity dynamics in games, leveraging flash for your games, lessons from the trenches on becoming an Indie game developer to much more.

Attend IGDS to get inspired, learn from the gurus who have gamed their way to success, and join a club that seeks competence to grab a share in the $43 billion global gaming development pie. View complete details of experts and topics covered at IGDS here: http://www.gamedevelopersummit.com/speakers.html.

About India Game Developer Summit

The highly individualistic nature of the Indian Software Developer, coupled with their tolerance for divergent personalities make them a natural fit into the Game Development culture. With the mission to build a robust community, advance the careers and enhance the lives of game developers, IGDS 2010 (Lite Ed) is being organized with the mission to pump the blood of Indian Game Developers and re-invigorate the ecosystem at large. The summit will cover industry leading methodologies in game development, design, production, programming, visual arts and writing.

India GDS (IGDS) is the quintessential Indian game industry event focused on inspiring, connecting and educating the Indian game developer ecosystem. Featuring top-notch keynotes from luminaries, visionaries and gaming gurus on various subjects from mobile and indie games to MMOs and AAA games, IGDS will also provide a hub for business and networking opportunities in the Indian industry.

With support from the International Game Developer Association (IGDA), the gaming industry at large and academia, the summit's intent is to build a robust community, advance the careers and enhance the lives of game developers. IGDS will see participation from Adobe, NVIDIA, Microsoft, Ubisoft and Playdom among several others. For complete details visit: http://www.gamedevelopersummit.com.

A Saltmarch Media Press Release
E: info@saltmarch.com
Ph: +91 80 4005 1000
xadhoom
Minaton

Re: Learn How To Become a Successful Indie Game Developer

Post by xadhoom »

-> Events & Meetings ? :)
roop452
Gnoblar

Post by roop452 »

yeah!!
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

I moved this thread to the "Events & Meetings" forum.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

I guess it depends by what you mean by "game developer".
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

NewSoftware wrote:I am a software developer. I wonder how long it would take me to become a game developer?
Thanks John
With about 10 years experience in a variety of development in different environments and on different types of software, it took me about two years in my spare time to acquire a portion of a game-specific clue, at which time I started sending out resumes, interviewed around and started with a small studio.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Well, get involved with OGRE, donate code, write in the forum, create nice demos - this can be your first step.
If someone knows the internals of OGRE or OSG - I consider it a big bonus for any resume I get.
StanleyHamlet

Post by StanleyHamlet »

I am very sorry if I missed the related thread, but will there be any similar event in India or China this year? I'm eventually going to visit both, and want to attend such kind of event if it possible.

Thanks in advance,
Stan.
sampei
Gnoblar

Post by sampei »

was this a one off or is it organized every year? I would love to attend