looking for Pro OGRE 3D Programming 2nd ed. (Expert's Voice in Open Source )

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
paul424
Gnome

looking for Pro OGRE 3D Programming 2nd ed. (Expert's Voice in Open Source )

Post by paul424 »

Does anyone have that book to sell it to me second hand ?
New one too expensive for me , sorry for unneccessery spam if you don't owe one ...
BTW: Is there a huge diffrence between 1st and 2nd edition of the book ?
A piety someone is publishing a new book on the topic ( 2016 ) and that forum doesn''t say a word on - I learned about it just a week ago.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: looking for Pro OGRE 3D Programming 2nd ed. (Expert's Voice in Open Source )

Post by EricB »

I'm not seeing a second edition listed anywhere, not even on the publisher's site. Got a link?

1st edition is on Amazon, used, for $13. It's a 2006 book and not a 2016 book though. Everything in it will be a bit outdated. Ogre 1.7 book would translate well up to about 1.10 though.
paul424
Gnome

Re: looking for Pro OGRE 3D Programming 2nd ed. (Expert's Voice in Open Source )

Post by paul424 »

https://www.ebay.com/p/13038373281?iid=401967413662
wait :
Copyright Date
Publication Year
So is it just a reprint of a 2006 book without a change ? :oops:
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Looks like a reprint of the old one to me. Maybe someone who owns it can say how it compares now to 1.1x (obviously 2.x its going to have major differences)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

Zonder wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:45 pm Looks like a reprint of the old one to me. Maybe someone who owns it can say how it compares now to 1.1x (obviously 2.x its going to have major differences)
I don't own either books mentioned here. But I do have a code base that went from 1.6 to 1.7 to 1.11, and I've been peaking at 1.12 stuff now and then.

A bit has changed, but many of the fundamental concepts/api remain the same.

A lot of things are slowly being depreciated and replaced though, so I would not recommend these books for beginners to Ogre. As I mentioned earlier the Ogre 1.7 books (which are the newest ones that I know of) would work OK up till about 1.10. After Paroj took over for 1.11, things started changing too much that I wouldn't recommend using the old books.

2006 is even older, we had a DX7 renderer in those days if I recall... yeah...

Of course, none of it would be applicable to Ogre 2.

Doubt an Ogre book would sell well enough to write these days...
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

I think that using these OGRE books like (for example) the book:
Ogre 3D 1.7 - Beginner's Guide (Create real-time 3D applications using Ogre 3D from scratch) [Felix Kerger]

Are still relevant because it is true that some details have changed since OGRE 1.7, from the books you learn some concepts that have not changed between 1.x versions and the pacing is pretty good. I have learned with that book and I am now using OGRE 1.11, planning on switching to 1.12.

Even the book mentioned in the topic is still relevant after having some practice with the engine.

Of course the value of these books is not great nowadays so it is reasonable to buy them if they are cheap.
Otherwise stick to the wiki and the manual which are free :D

Also it is true that for OGRE 2.x, very little applies so that has to be taken into account as well.

First, take a look here: https://www.ogre3d.org/about/what-version-to-choose