What visual studio should you get?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
raindisemo21
Gnoblar

What visual studio should you get?

Post by raindisemo21 »

I was wondering what visual studio program i have to get (more inportantly, can i get the visual studio 2008 standerd adition :D ) Sorry if i seem thick, but i seem to be getting the impression that theres other visual studio programs other than microsoft vs. I'm extremly confused about what i should get and what would be the best to get. Help would be extreemly apreciated.
nullsquared
Old One

Re: What visual studio should you get?

Post by nullsquared »

If you can, get MSVC 2008 Professional (for example, some schools give students free access via Microsoft's Dreamspark program). Otherwise, get the Express Edition.
raindisemo21
Gnoblar

Post by raindisemo21 »

What would i gain with the pro that i wodn't get with just the express other than the benifits that come with the package? dose ogre run better/faster?
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

dose ogre run better/faster?
No.
raindisemo21 wrote:What would i gain with the pro that i wodn't get with just the express other than the benifits that come with the package?
Several things, of which one is plugin support so you can use things like VAX. Check Microsoft's site on a list of the differences.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

And the ability to create .msi installers (using Deployment Project type) inside Visual Studio. Not critical, except that it's far easier with an .msi in Visual Studio (compared to WiX or NSIS, for example) to distribute an installer for an app that relies on the VC runtime DLLs. Which is not to say that the Deployment Project does not have other limitations or headaches that can make it more difficult, depending on circumstances...
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

bluueyee wrote:Which would be the best to learn on?
Which of what? The versions? The latest version works good, I'd suggest that.

If you didn't have any license, the 'Express' editions would be free.