What game are you playing now?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: What game are you playing now?

Post by Kojack »

Bad news: seems the Steam Controller sdk is actually just Steam Works and it is very badly documented (from what I've read, I don't have SteamWorks access).
Good news: I found a github repo with a third party sdk for it that sounds like it supports all the features (haptics, IMU sensor, etc).

Damn it Valve, do you want nobody to use this thing? Imagine if Microsoft made the Xbox 360 or One controllers only run with games launched by the MS store.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Saw that Doom had been released, reviews looked good so I bought it on Steam. Took 15 hours to download the 44 gigs, just as well I started at 9ish in the morning. I figured I'd either get to play by midnight, or I'd suddenly hit my download limit in which case it could be days. As luck would have it, all went well, and I got to play at 12am.

Done about 4 hours, just finished the Foundry. Initially I liked it, but it took a little while to fully get into the gameplay style. But the more I play, the more I'm liking it, especially now that more types of monsters are appearing. As all the reviews say, it's fast and you can't afford to stop moving, there's no sneaking about here. The mechanics encourage you to get right into the thick of it, since killing enemies up close yields the most health. The closer you are to death, the better off you are charging right up to the demons and physically tearing them to shreds with melee attacks, having weakened them with gunfire. The combat is fluid and the mechanics well thought out. The finishing Glory Kills could have been annoying but are fast and satisfying. The combat is far from mindless even if it's fast, because ammo can be scarce sometimes so you have to think quick about which weapon to use, switching all the time mid battle.

It's not all carnage either. The maps are large and often quite non-linear, so you get to explore a lot. Often it's quiet and I'm just wandering around looking for those keycards. The maps are so big and interesting I'm really enjoying the exploration. I'm doing a terrible job of finding the secret areas, I seem to miss 90% of them.

And then there's the graphics. Super slick, super fast. On my GTX 970 I've been playing on the high quality setting, one below Ultra, and it rarely dips below 100 fps, often up around 115-120 if there aren't too many demons about. I think I noticed it dropped to 90 once, it might do it more often in battle and I just don't notice. Everything looks very crisp and real. I'll give Ultra a go tomorrow, although it's hard to see how it could be much better. If there's negligible difference I may stick with just the high setting, depending on the framerate drop.

So a thumbs up from me so far. Does a great job of capturing the feel of the original Doom/Doom2 games, while being very modern, and stands out against other first person shooters.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

Awesome, I'll have to pick that one up.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Finally finished the single player campaign. Took me about 26 hours, which is embarrassingly bad consider they suggest it should take 13-16 hours.

I played the Ultra Violence difficulty, so that's my excuse. I never know what difficulty to play a new game, different studios have wildly different ideas of what the easy, normal and hard games should be, and I've had more than one game ruined by choosing a setting that turns out too easy or too hard (I hate changing difficulty mid game on principle). Ultra Violence on Doom felt just about right, though the end of the game became very difficult, I had to repeat most the maps many, many times before completing them. Perhaps the normal difficulty would have been better for a first run through, especially if you don't like having to repeat sections over and over. Then again, there's also the chance I just suck.

At any rate, it was a lot of fun and I intend to play through again pretty soon, maybe give Nightmare mode a shot. The hectic barrage of the big fights is intense. Also need to have a look at Snap Map, the built in level editor which is supposed to be pretty cool. Hopefully there'll be a tonne of cool custom maps soon.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Just finished a replay of Doom on Nightmare difficulty. Took me much longer, sometimes took me over an hour just to complete some of the tougher rooms. Probably took me 30 or 40 tries to succeed on them.

I think I'll give the new Ultra Nightmare difficulty a miss for now. Ultra Nightmare is as difficult as Nightmare but the catch is you only get one life. Soon as you die, it's straight back to the beginning of the entire game. When I saw that, I laughed and figured no one would ever do it, but of course within days of it being released someone did it in under 5 hours and posted the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6J352J_RG8

There are now Doom Nightmare and Ultra Nightmare speed runs of about 1 hour 15 mins. These involve a bit of "cheating," finding spots in the geometry where the player can get outside the intended path and skip large parts of the game.

Here's one done in 47 minutes. Uses the Gauss gun to jump all over the maps, skipping virtually everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hIfk07-aXk
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

LOL! That speed run is ridiculous.

Just got a 4K TV for my PC and I'm having lots of fun with it. Even old games like Mirror's Edge take on new life in 4K. Thinking of going back and playing Half-Life 2. I think the last time I played that beginning to end was on a CRT monitor, ha!
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I miss CRT monitors. No, actually I don't, god damn things weighed a ton. I remember I had a huge one long after LCD monitors were popular, because 3DVision didn't exist yet and you could only do stereo gaming on a CRT.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

My last CRT died the other week, just had it attached to a server so was never on really. I actually think it must have been 16 years old :S
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

That's sad. :( Still, at least it died on the job, and not thrown to the curb while still fully functional like so many other poor CRTs, including my own.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I never throw something away if it still works, always try to give it away / repurpose. I wonder how many CRT's were binned when they still worked.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

When CRTs stopped being sold but I still needed them for 3D, I used to pick up spares off the side of the road in case my main ones broke. The ones I picked up always worked. You'd have a pretty hard time giving away a CRT now, the person you offered it to would probably slap you.
shadowfeign
Goblin

Post by shadowfeign »

One of my neighbors just moved and the left their CRT out by the trash with a free sign on it. It was actually gone a day or two later, I was surprised someone took it.
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

Last CRT I owned was a 27" Sony I used as a PC monitor for some of college, and then as a TV for console gaming (PS2 era and older). Lost it in a poker game, lol!
BigMan
Gnoblar

Post by BigMan »

Just completed FTL on 'normal' difficulty, which is REALLY hard. Took me ages. Great game though. I like the depth of strategy in what is essentially a pretty simple game. Great work.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Just started Wolfenstein The New Order. Good so far.
Arkiruthis
Gremlin

Post by Arkiruthis »

Still playing an awful lot of Elite:Dangerous. I was originally a backer on Kickstarter and the game has got better and better.

It still suffers a bit from that "several miles wide but several inches deep" problem that comes with procedural sandbox games, every system and collection of ships feels procedural, every faction just feels like an RNG name-change. But it's still one of the best procedural universes I've come across so far.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Been playing Diablo 3 recently on PS4 with other half. Tried torment 5 last night going to go for 7 over weekend to try and get more of a challenge. Started a new char on Torment 1 as well playing through again got to lvl 60 by act 2 :)

I have noticed my char going 11 - 40m crits not sure why my dmg is only 400k guess need to check my stats :)
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

Just beat Far Cry 3. OMG, what an ending! On the new Deus Ex now. Game looks great at 4K ultra-wide.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Arkiruthis wrote:Still playing an awful lot of Elite:Dangerous. I was originally a backer on Kickstarter and the game has got better and better.

It still suffers a bit from that "several miles wide but several inches deep" problem that comes with procedural sandbox games, every system and collection of ships feels procedural, every faction just feels like an RNG name-change. But it's still one of the best procedural universes I've come across so far.
I've been playing a ton of Elite lately.

I played it for a while when I first got it, but didn't do much. The missions and trading bored me, only the combat seemed ok. Great in VR though. I didn't get very far back then. (Although I'm a life long Elite fan since the C64 days, I found X3 was a better modern space game in many ways). When they stopped updating the Oculus support (went with SteamVR instead) I stopped playing.

After the Oculus support came back I bought Horizons. I landed on a planet, got bored. I went back to bounty hunting and earned enough to buy an Asp Explorer. Used that a bit, then got distracted and stopped playing. (My hotas warthog is inconvenient on my desk and I was binging on Dark Souls 3 which fails to run if joysticks are plugged in).

Just a few weeks ago I came back to the game and discovered the community goal system. I started grinding away at goals and bounty hunting (crap, the AI is way better at circle strafing me now) to afford a Python.
Woah, it's like a new game now! I'm addicted to it now more than I was since I bought it 2 years ago.

Currently I'm based in 64 Arietis. Weyn dock is a space station that's just 2LS from a haz res zone! Great for bounty hunting. The station is now offering me multiple 1,000,000+ credit delivery missions (all to places about 12 jumps away but near each other) plus heaps of cheap data boom missions to an adjacent system (I can easily get 15+ missions to the same outpost, good for building faction rep).

Of course it absolutely MUST be played in VR. I even bought a geforce 1080 (to replace my 980) mainly so I could increase the pixel sampling quality in VR Elite.
Only 10 hours until the next week of community goals is released!
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Finished Wolfenstein The New Order. It was good. Probably the biggest surprise was how much effort they put into the NPC characterization, despite it being a very straight-forward shooter.

Have had a few shots at Doom Ultra Nightmare, which is joke considering any number of rooms took me 30-40 attempts on Nightmare. Basically my odds of ever, ever doing the entire campaign without dying are zero. I never even completed the first map before giving up, it was always just an exercise in absurdity. I still recorded the games though... it would be funny to suddenly fluke it and have no proof.

Edit: Let's see, ball park figure. I guess there are probably about 5 sections where I did really badly and probably took about 30 tries to get through. Let's say there's also about 10 sections that took me 10 shots to get through, and ignore all the other multiple deaths. That puts my odds of completing Ultra Nightmare at less than 1 in 10,024,300,000.
Arkiruthis
Gremlin

Post by Arkiruthis »

Kojack wrote: After the Oculus support came back I bought Horizons. I landed on a planet, got bored. I went back to bounty hunting and earned enough to buy an Asp Explorer. Used that a bit, then got distracted and stopped playing. (My hotas warthog is inconvenient on my desk and I was binging on Dark Souls 3 which fails to run if joysticks are plugged in).

Just a few weeks ago I came back to the game and discovered the community goal system. I started grinding away at goals and bounty hunting (crap, the AI is way better at circle strafing me now) to afford a Python.
Woah, it's like a new game now! I'm addicted to it now more than I was since I bought it 2 years ago.
Yep, this sounds almost identical to my experience with the game! I've been sticking with the Asp Explorer for a while but only just got hold of an Anaconda and the Fighter Bay is fun to use. I'm told it's possible to get one of these up to 40LY with upgrades. I'd like to make it out to Colonia (on the other side of the galaxy).

Unfortunately, the "Mission Board" is totally broken for me.

The server times out and then I get booted. Only happens with the Mission Board. Their servers are not great atm.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Oh my god. Been so busy programming that I failed to notice that Dead Rising 4 is coming out any day. Dead Rising 2 and 3 are some of my absolute favourite games, so I'll probably grab it ASAP. I hear they removed the time limits though. That'll be odd, since the race against time was a key component of the old games and added a lot to the tension.

Reviews say it's pretty much more of the same, which happens to be EXACTLY what I want from a Dead Rising game, so here's hoping it's cool.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Meh, just saw it's a Windows 10/XBox exclusive for now. I'm using Windows 7, so I guess I'll have to wait.
Not liking the sound of how easy it is. No time limit, psychopath battles are optional, massive inventory space. One reviewer said he played the entire thing without dying. This is the exact opposite of the other DR games, which were a race against time with limited resources and a lot of intensely dangerous psychopath battles. You died a lot.
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

Been playing on my PS4 Pro and a 4K TV I recently got. Beat The Last of Us Remastered (finally) and now playing Ratchet & Clank, which looks awesome on an HDR 4K set.

Have my Touch controllers coming later this week, so I'll probably switch to that soon. Lots of cool games just released.
Folas
Gnoblar

Post by Folas »

need for speed forever!!!