What game are you playing now?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
amihan23
Deactivated User

Re: What game are you playing now?

Post by amihan23 »

Right now I am playing Call of Duty: Zombies, but soon be Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii! :D
dwmitch
Gnoblar

Post by dwmitch »

Am I the only one still playing the old ones? Lately I've been playing Age of Mythology, though I'm getting bored with it. If I can find the disc I may start back into Supreme Ruler 2020, Sim City 4, or Sim City Societies.
JaJDoo
Gnome

Post by JaJDoo »

Kojack wrote:Red Faction Armageddon comes out next week. Looks kind of cool.
reminded me, in the aftermath of Armageddon's failure, THQ said they "do not intend to carry forward with that franchise in any meaningful way";
instead, volition is making another gta clone. too bad they haven't put some effort rf:g's modding tools, it could have saved it.. who makes an open world game with a destruction engine without any modding tools!?

wow.. by the time i wrote this a spammer managed to comment and get banned
some post from somewhere:
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Currently I'm playing Metro 2033, Tomb Raider Underworld (it was on special), The Pandora Directive (yay for Tex Murphy!) and Arcanum Of Steamworks And Magic Obscura.

Once those are finished (or I'm bored of them) I've got a bunch of rpgs on GOG to play (Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Fallout Tactics, Jagged Alliance 2.
Those should keep me busy until Batman Arkham City and Skyrim come out on PC.

I liked RF Armageddon. Not the best game, but it was fun. It also showed that Volition can do pc games ok (unlike the team they hired to do the PC port of Saints Row 2), so I'm looking forward to Saints Row 3.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Finished the two Portal games about a week ago, and I haven't played anything since.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

I'm playing Drak Souls! :shock:
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

The last DLC of Fallout: New Vegas.

I'm also watching people play Dwarf Fortress, I'm trying to learn how to play it. Without actually playing it.

Also; Waiting for Skyrim on the 11th. I haven't read any reviews, watched any clips or movies about it. I want it to be a suprise! ;)
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

betajaen wrote: Also; Waiting for Skyrim on the 11th. I haven't read any reviews, watched any clips or movies about it. I want it to be a suprise! ;)
Yeah whatever the reviews say, they can't judge a game that's not even out yet. ;)

But the release date on that thing is kinda funny 11.11.11 :D

I'm not as patient as you though, I already watched the gameplay trailer, and it looks really, really amazing, that thing is going to be epic, I'm not going to tell you anymore, avoiding spoiling your surprise, but you're going to be surprised when you play it though.

I just hope you have the system it required, it's far more than Crysis ever required, I hope my PC won't die while I'm playing that. :D

Their new engine looks absolutely stunning, so expect graphics rivaling (IMO better than) those of Crysis.
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Mind Calamity wrote:I'm not as patient as you though, I already watched the gameplay trailer, and it looks really, really amazing, that thing is going to be epic, I'm not going to tell you anymore, avoiding spoiling your surprise, but you're going to be surprised when you play it though.
I did the same thing for New Vegas. I even waited (for some reason) for two weeks after it was released to play, I hear there was some bugs or issues in that time, so I missed it all. But I can say that New Vegas is probably in my top 5 favourites of all PC games.

As for graphics, I've played Crysis on my computer, and typically Bethesda games are quite generously with the specs - so hopefully it should run.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I'm halfway through the original Far Cry, I got 1 and 2 as a steam deal. It's ancient but the jungles still look pretty good. It annoys the hell out of me though, I just wanted to casually stroll though it so I set it on easy, but it's still really difficult and it's a checkpoint game, so I have to keep repeating the hard bits over and over. I've more or less gotten bored so I think I might try the second one. I hate it when they don't make the "Easy" setting easy. Shadows of Chernobyl was like that too.

Mainly I still just play TF2. I like that they keep adding stuff, even if it destroys the game's purity it does keep it fresh. It's so old Valve have nothing to lose by experimenting with it.

Speaking of Bethesda and new release games, I've been interested to following the reaction to the PC release of Id's Rage. I'm admittedly a bit of an Id fanboy, but the hate for the buggy PC version actually makes me a little happy. I'd been worried that when Rage came out and set a new standard in FPS graphics, it'd just make my indie attempts look all the weaker. But it sounds like the PC tech is not as awesome as people expected, the mega-texture system has lots of "texture-popping," and that's if people can get the game running at all (AMD cards in particular are having problems).

Its problems will probably be sorted with a few more driver updates and patches, and my jealous schadenfreude will collapse once again into despair, but for the time being it's nice to know there may be hope for the indie FPS yet.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
JaJDoo
Gnome

Post by JaJDoo »

first of:
SPACECHEM
if you playing it past mission 5, you're most likely a programmer.
mkultra333 wrote: But it sounds like the PC tech is not as awesome as people expected, the mega-texture system has lots of "texture-popping"
the technical issue will pass, afaik its drivers- i think it was inevitable with the decline of OpenGL- less developers using it -> less effort on the cg cards companies to make it run smoothly (try running DOOM3 on new ATI drivers, see what happens)
i accuse iD on these issues- "it worked fine on OUR machines" is just lazy for a multimillion dollar product; that's why you beta test on a large scale.
i see another type of incompetence on iD's side regarding the complaint about texture quality and mega-textures: they said that originally the game weighted at ~150GB. really..? you didn't think that this will pose a problem on release day? when it reach 50GB, you didn't think that you might need to cut down on the resources?

i dunno- it seems to me that, gameplay-wise, iD have been lagging one generation behind the rest of the industry since after Quake 2 (arguably, Q3)..
some post from somewhere:
"So you basically want to make a car without a steering wheel because you don't know how to drive. I'd say learn how to use pointers"
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I like that Id have gone for something new as far as tech goes. It's a 25 gig download from steam though. That worries me a bit if every second game starts thinking it should be that big. The engine seems just a little ahead of it's time.

Since Id's real goal is to license the tech to other developers, I wonder if those developers will be put off by the time and effort it seems to require to create the assets. The media requirements for games were already getting so heavy, this seems to multiply it by 10.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Well, now that JaJDoo reminded me of Quake, I was last playing Quake III Arena yesterday, it was pretty awesome considering it's age. And I must say it's (IMO) far better than Quake 4.
(Another + is that we have the awesome opensource alternative OpenArena, which we have at school, because it was in the Edubuntu repositories :twisted: ).
- xavier
---------------------
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I still give Q3A a run now and then, against a couple of bots on one of the 1500 or so custom maps I've downloaded. Mainly to look at the maps.

Gave FarCry 2 a shot the other day. Looked ok, but to be honest the African setting is kind of drab, all brown and olive. Still don't like the vehicle control. Story is straight up realistic warfare/mercenary, no sci-fi. Pity, I prefer scifi. Seems to be more or less open world, I prefer a linear story, I don't like thinking when I play games and just want to move from battle to battle with minimum fuss. Shadows looked a bit rough, and there were some culling issues where it would cull stuff it shouldn't, leading to the occasional room beyond a doorway disappearing.

Be ok if you want a more realistic open world merc game, but I uninstalled it after about an hour. I downloaded Grid the other day from steam for $4, it's a racing game. Haven't played it yet.
Borkako
Deactivated User

Post by Borkako »

I am Playing Action , Racing and Thriller of War Games.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Well might as well bump the topic. The last few days I thought I'd give CoD: Black Ops and the new Battlefield a spin, Black Ops was good, but Battlefield 3 killed my PC, I ran it on lowest possible settings, 1024x768, and even though I had a framerate of about 20 FPS it still had heavy input lag, is the Frostbite 2 engine asynchronous (at least on slower machines) or what...

With this result, I hope I can run Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 when they come out. :(
- xavier
---------------------
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Post by SomeFusion »

At the moment I play BF3 a little but this will change as soon as Uncharted 3 arrives, wich should be tomorrow (hopefully) :!:
Summoning Wars is an open source role-playing game, featuring both a single-player and a multiplayer mode for about 2 to 8 players.
http://www.sumwars.org
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Klaim wrote:I'm playing Drak Souls! :shock:
I'm still playing Demon Souls....

As to oldies I have just recently purchased the discworld series for the PS1 as the first time round I missed some :)

one recently I remembered playing a demo of pepperami the game http://www.adventurepoint.co.uk/#/animal/4524501702

Did anyone ever play that one?
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Thoran
Halfling

Post by Thoran »

Currently playing "Orcs must die" available on Steam, a really fun tower defense game and other than that Assassins Creed 1 and my game of course, as far as it is playable.

Thoran
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Zonder wrote:
Klaim wrote:I'm playing Drak Souls! :shock:
I'm still playing Demon Souls....
I managed to finish Demon Souls some day after having bought Dark Souls. I was stuck at the last boss for some weeks without knowing it was the last one. His level drain attack was just making him incredibly hardcore. But it looks like I missed some parts of the game...

Dark Souls is incredible.
zarlox
Halfling

Post by zarlox »

Currently playing Sengoku Rance.

Very nice strategy game, kinda like the Risk board game but with great characters and storyline, humor, lots of strategy and a bit of hentai :wink:
Caphalor
Greenskin

Post by Caphalor »

Skyrim!
It's awesome! :)
Generated with vBaum - voxel based procedural geometry generator with python interface.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I'm playing Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods, because my copy of Skyrim will take another week or more to arrive. (Steam is $89.99us, Zavvi is $44.77us. I'd rather wait a week or two for shipping and pay half price)

Hopefully by then the mod community will fix the inventory interface, which currently looks like the worst feature of Skyrim. The Oblivion inventory screen isn't that great, but it allowed us to see a table of items with columns for rating, value and weight. It was easy to find heavy items to drop, or the best rated piece of armor, etc. In Skyrim, you have to look at every item individually to see their stats. :(
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Caphalor wrote:Skyrim!
It's awesome! :)
It stole my weekend and the hours of sleep that I could have had with it. :D

I played id's Rage too, but it still wasn't as impressive as Skyrim, the game is a legend, and like it's predecessors it's more immersive than ever.

(also buggier than ever) :D
- xavier
---------------------
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

The Mahjongg that comes with Gnome. It's awesome. I can't even beat my own records anymore. I'm barely getting on the high-score list. I have outplayed myself. Maybe I need to reset the list so I can have the satisfaction of getting on the list again.