What game are you playing now?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
tod
Troll

Re: What game are you playing now?

Post by tod »

Do I feel a faint smell of self advertising? :roll:
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

You smelled a spammer. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Might as well put the thread to use...

I'm up to the last boss fight (as far as I'm aware) in Witcher 2, but it's annoying me so yesterday I started playing Civilisation V. I've never really played any of the previous ones. All the claims of it being a massive time sink are true, I tried to have a quick play for maybe 30 minutes before breakfast, at 2 in the afternoon I realised I had forgotten breakfast, but I'd also kicked rome's ass so it was worth it. :)
(Nothing against the real rome, it's just that the virtual rome started building too close to my border and had several troops squatting on land around my border, so went for a preemptive strike).
Now Japan has denounced me for attacking Seoul (I was asked to by another city), so I'm taking a food/dvd break.

Witcher 2 is the either the best bad game or worst great game, it's hard to say. There's so many things they did wrong (such as I have to run it in a window, because fullscreen fails to start on most ati gfx cards!), but it still rocks. I couldn't stop playing it, even when it was pissing me off.

After these, I should go back and start/finish all the excess stuff I've bought on sales from GOG and Steam. :)
tod
Troll

Post by tod »

I'm also playing some Civ5 from time to time but I find it worse than IV, and the turns take a lot of time to finish.
I'm also playing Jagged Alliance 2 and Shadowman just to complete the picture.
I'm waiting for Duke Nukem and Risen 2 to switch to something more modern.
Also, I'm old. :roll:
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I am actually playing Oblivion - and while I hated it for not being Morrowind when it got out - I actually think it's a very good game, actually better than it's predecessor.. :)

I also play CIV 4 - don't want to shell out for 5 - and it's really a 'just one more turn...' game.
The game itself coined that term.
Really a time-sink.. :wink:

I am generally bored by most games, and my system is sort of meek anyway..
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Minecraft mostly. I bought Terraria but for some reason it gives me a headache when I play it, and I never get headaches.

I'd like to get back into Fallout New Vegas again, and play the new two DLCs, but I don't have enough hours in the day.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I just saw that Setller is 50% off on Steam today and I always planned on getting it, mainly because it is so different from the previous ones. And I read a really good review of Just Cause 2. So I might get that as well...

Basically my only constant in gaming is currently TeamFortress2 :) .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Just Cause 2 is tons of fun, until you realise that it's really tons of the same fun over and over. You'll get all the weapons and vehicles but only have done a small part of the world, then it's just more of the same. That's when I started playing with mods (like the unbreakable cable or multi-cable) instead of trying to finish it.
I still got a ton of hours of fun from it, but I can't be bothered going back to finish the game.

I haven't played Jagged Alliance 2 yet. I'm a huge turn based combat fan though. I really wish some online store would put Silent Storm and Sentinels on, I avoided them when they came out because of starforce copy protection, but the demos were great. I'm a UFO/XCOM fan. Pocket UFO was the only game I ever installed on my Dell Axim pda, it was an improved version of UFO/XCOM with better graphics than the pc version. :)

I should go back to oblivion. With mods of course, some of the mods are awesome (like OOO).

I got back into minecraft for a bit to play with the Finite Liquid mod. Lots of fun, until I accidently flooded my mine with finite ocean blocks which can't be pumped out. :(

Hmm, Terraria looks cool. I hadn't heard of it until now. Looks like a Cortex Command with non crap movement. :)

Arma 3 has been announced and looks pretty good, and has replaced the aging physics engine with PhysX.

I'm also waiting for X-Plane 10 (flight sim) and X Rebirth (space sim).

I was surprised but happy to see that Civ 5 supports the colour lcd on my Space Pilot Pro. I noticed that my Logitech G13 was showing a black and white little panel of city stats, so I glanced over at the Space Pilot Pro. It had Civilization V on the screen. I pressed the ok button, and a colour table of all my cities and their resources appeared. Cool! This is the first game I've noticed to have colour lcd support (it uses the same sdk as the G13/G15's monochrome lcd, but it's a different resolution, aspect ratio and pixel format).
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

spacegaier wrote:I just saw that Setller is 50% off on Steam today
I am such an idiot...that was the Tuesday deal which was still valid some hours ago...now it is over and I did not buy it yet :( .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Kojack wrote:I got back into minecraft for a bit to play with the Finite Liquid mod. Lots of fun, until I accidently flooded my mine with finite ocean blocks which can't be pumped out. :(
The next update apparently solves this now.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Oh yeah, I forgot Batman Arkham City. That should be cool.
I'm not really a batman fan (used to like the adam west tv version when I was a kid, never been a comic book fan), but Arkham Asylum was a great game. Still one of the few games that runs great on triple monitor eyefinity.
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Post by SomeFusion »

I have finished Crysis 2 a few weeks ago and now I'm going to finally finish Uncharted 2.

Aaaand most important:
http://chrome.angrybirds.com/

:-)
Summoning Wars is an open source role-playing game, featuring both a single-player and a multiplayer mode for about 2 to 8 players.
http://www.sumwars.org
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I forgot to mention Assassins Creed Brotherhood and the upcoming sequel. Really enjoyed part one and two. First game where I really felt free to move around. Those slick animations when you climbed up, whatever you wanted to, are awesome.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I've been buying a few budget Steam games recently, old stuff on sale cheap, usually under $10. For someone who spends all his spare time trying to program a game, I wasn't actually playing very many, so it was time to rectify this.

Played the first Kane and Lynch game. It's a 5.5 to 6 out of ten in terms of fun, it's either a crap game saved by some really good mechanics and maps or a great game ruined by some really bad mechanics and maps. Got Dog Days too but haven't touched it yet.

I played Batman Arkham Asylum. That was pretty good. However like all modern PC games it's an obvious console port. The thing that bugs me about ports is the mechanic of having to repeat sections over and over without progress, until you get it right. I liked it better when you could save at any instant, like on old PC games.

Was excited about Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, but it didn't run properly on my old video drivers, half the screen didn't draw, so I had to ditch that one.

I replayed Dead Space 2, one of the few games I paid full price for. Ahhh... I love that game.

And I picked up Borderlands and its DLC the other day for about $12. Finding that very addictive. A number of game mechanics I like, for instance if you die you don't have to repeat the whole section, the enemies you've killed will still be dead but the ones you injured will be back to full health. Good idea. I like exploring. Took on some missions that were too difficult, but eventually it paid off. Several of the simpler mechanics in Borderlands have given me ideas for my own work.

I got Sniper the other day for $5, I'll probably try that after.

In between I do Team Fortress 2, but I got a little tired of making so little skill progress and just dying every 20 seconds. Spawn, run to front, die, wait, spawn, run to front, die, wait, spawn...
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

jacmoe wrote:I am actually playing Oblivion - and while I hated it for not being Morrowind when it got out - I actually think it's a very good game, actually better than it's predecessor.. :)
I was considering starting that again the other day been ages since I played it. But I decided to replay Final Fantasy 9 instead :) also playing the world of warcraft expansion with some m8s
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

I'm playing a bit of MineCraft, a lot of Dead Space. Finished Portal 2 some weeks ago.

I also have a 40+ hours game of Demon's Soul (PS3), but I'm having a hard time continuing. I'm at maybe 40% of the full game.

I play Folklore (PS3) when I have time.
nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

i'm playing on family farm :D
i'm a noob until proven otherwise :D
used in my project ;) and thanks to everyone :D
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC
CCS
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

my game :lol:
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Klaim wrote:
I also have a 40+ hours game of Demon's Soul (PS3),
I just bought this sounded like a nice challenge :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Oh yeah. It's only a big pack of consecutive challenges. Excellent to learn perseverance :D

By the way, in few months Dark Souls should be out. Same principle but... unified world, more monsters, more traps, more difficulty.

Yes, more difficulty.

And I still feel it will be even more epic and enjoyable :twisted:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I'm up to around 1970 in Civ V in my first go at it, and I'm already bored. The early game was fun, but the mid game was boring. Once I realised the tech tree had no real choices (everything has to be researched at some point) it all seemed a bit pointless. Right now I've got the largest empire, every other empire is denouncing me but do nothing, and all I do it click next turn until it's time to pick another research option.

Red Faction Armageddon comes out next week. Looks kind of cool.
I can download it from steam for $65, or get a boxed copy shipped from england (Zavvi) for $42.
Yeah...
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Klaim wrote: By the way, in few months Dark Souls should be out. Same principle but... unified world, more monsters, more traps, more difficulty.
Yes, more difficulty.

Yeah I spotted there was a new one coming out I should get the first today :)
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Zonder wrote:
Klaim wrote: By the way, in few months Dark Souls should be out. Same principle but... unified world, more monsters, more traps, more difficulty.
Yes, more difficulty.

Yeah I spotted there was a new one coming out I should get the first today :)
I agree its definatly a challenge killed the phlanx easy enough but that big boss in full body armour is not going down :S
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

Still playing SC2, arrghh! :lol:
lingfors
Hobgoblin

Post by lingfors »

Minecraft
Just Cause 2
Starcraft 2 (although I watch more videos than I play games)