What game are you playing now?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Re: What game are you playing now?

Post by cybereality »

Been playing Mad Max on Linux Vulkan. Game is awesome!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Aww, only 2 posts in here for 2017. :(

Over the last couple of weeks I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2. I've put in 96 hours so far and I'm only level 12. :)
I like the voice acting for the animals, they actually try to make them sound at least a bit like the animal in question, rather than the hollywood style of a famous actor using their normal voice as an animal (Madagascar, etc).

I bought but haven't downloaded Dishonored 2 Death Of The Outsider yet. Too busy with Divinity.

Arktika.1 comes out tomorrow! It's a VR game by 4A Games (Metro 2033 series). I'm a massive fan of 4A Games, so this is a certain purchase for me.
[youtube]7Ml2Miskj84[/youtube]

Let's see... what else have I been playing...
I got Wizardry 8. Ancient rpg, very primitive gfx and interface, but pretty cool.

I tried playing The Surge. I got 4 hours in and gave up, it's just not fun. I really liked their previous game: Lords Of The Fallen.

I got into Dragon's Dogma (pc version) for a bit (51 hours worth). Not bad. The whole Pawn mechanic is interesting.

Also I've put many hours into Roborecall, the greatest VR game ever made. It's just insanely fun.
[youtube]g48yzSY2lgg[/youtube]
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I didn't get as into Arktika.1 as I thought I would. First time playing it was late at night so I didn't play for long, but there was no save progress during missions so I had to restart.
Second time I made it back to the mad robot (still first mission) but the game glitched and the robot became indestructible. I spent about 10min fighting the damn thing without the correct mechanics, then I killed the game. I haven't played it since.

One annoyance was that I had two guns, but they reload in different ways. One gun reloads by placing it near your leg. The other reloads by flicking it sideways. Luckily the flicking one also reloads if you put it by your leg, but only my right leg worked, so I couldn't have it in my left hand.

I'll come back to it, but I much prefer Roborecall.

I'm now on Wolfenstein 2.
It took over 4-5 hours to get the game. About 40min of that was downloading (it came down at 96Mb/s), the rest was steam getting confused, spending an hour trying to download at 0Kb/s while at 100% complete and unpacking (that alone was around 3 hours). Damn steam.

Great game so far.

Reading the Steam forums for Wolfenstein 2 is depressing though.

Elex is out. It's a new RPG from Piranha Bytes (Gothic series, Risen series).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTicsIK5umw
It sounds pretty good (except for crap ai). I haven't bought it yet.

Eagle Dynamics have opened preorders for the early access release of DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL.
WTF is that? Well, in less technical detail it's a flight simulator of the Harrier Jump Jet! Hell yeah!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMc3c4JqoyM
techyguy
Gnoblar

Post by techyguy »

I am playing some of Android match 3 games. its fun to play and best for brain.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I've been giving black desert online a go recently. I have to say the controls are whackey!! generally it seems ok only lvl 15 though so time will tell! :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I've never heard of black desert online.
*Looks at the home page*...
I can be some form of combat chef? My interest has been piqued!
hyyou
Gremlin

Post by hyyou »

Hi.
Kojack wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:13 pm I've been playing Divinity Original Sin 2.
After a few turns of Divinity 1, I feel that it is too sluggish.
Is it much better than Div 1? I would love to try. :-)
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I grabbed System Shock 1 Enhanced Edition from Gog.
It's been a LONG time since I played SS1. The enhanced edition is an upgraded version by Night Dive (they do a heap of old game releases). They added proper mouse look, directx and opengl rendering, 4k resolution and other stuff, making it far more playable than the old dos game it used to be.
Of course the sprites and textures are still low quality, so 4K just makes the wall edges sharper. :)

Despite it being so old (24 years), it's damn enjoyable. And scary. Those damn mutants sneaking up on me!

Night Dive is the same team that is remaking System Shock in Unreal, but got a bit lost in feature creep. it's currently scheduled for 2020. In the mean time, System Shock Enhanced Edition is great.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I like this trend of enhancing and re-releasing old games. I sometimes used to think it was kinda sad that these entire game worlds, with all their geometry, monsters and stories, would just have a brief flash of existence and then disappear forever.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

mkultra333 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:42 pm I like this trend of enhancing and re-releasing old games. I sometimes used to think it was kinda sad that these entire game worlds, with all their geometry, monsters and stories, would just have a brief flash of existence and then disappear forever.
So true.
I often go back to old games and just can't get into them because of things like user interface and controls. That's the most important improvement in games over the years: usability. I doubt I could have replayed SS1 if they didn't redo the controls to be more modern (such as mouse look).

Of course enhanced gfx and stuff is great too in a rerelease or remake, but a bad (relative to today) user interface makes it hard.

I'm eagerly awaiting Pathologic 2 by Ice Pick Lodge. The original (2005) seemed great in concept, but didn't seem a very friendly experience (for example it apparently had a poor english translation). They made a HD edition in 2015 with a new translation. But Pathologic 2 is kind of a full remake, not a sequel. But it's also different.

Lately I've been playing Starpoint Gemini 2. I can't even remember buying it (on Gog), but apparently I have it in my library. I had no idea what it was like when I installed it. Actually it's pretty good. I'd prefer a first person cockpit view (with VR) space sim, but it's quite fun so far.

Ural_4320
Gnoblar

Post by Ural_4320 »

I actually haven't been playing anything for a couple days now... If not weeks. I've been working a lot on my exams (the joys of being a MBA student: I've been binge-reading articles like about the real estate market and its trends because we'll have a case analysis) and it's been quite demanding, and when I want to relax... I fire up Ogre and work on my little RTS game project. I actually have fun designing models and trying to make them do more or less what I want, let's say I'm playing the pre-pre-prealpha of the damn thing :lol:
disi
Gnoblar

Post by disi »

I play Kenshi for 2 months now (since release) and learned a lot about Ogre by doing so. :)

Thank you for this cool engine. I finally registered.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Moved house, and the game I've been working on for ten years is about to release. So I'm relaxing a bit in the calm before the storm.

On mobile broadband at the moment, so can't try anything new, but I've been relaxing late at night with a bit of Team Fortress 2. I used to play it all the time, though my skills never improved beyond mediocre. It's been a long time, and I'm glad there are still full servers at 2am after I've had a few shots of port.

I kinda wished I'd had time to get into Fortnite, since that's what all the cool kids are playing, but I never had the time. If game sales give me a financial breather I'd like to look into it.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Kojack wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:10 pm I'm eagerly awaiting Pathologic 2 by Ice Pick Lodge. The original (2005) seemed great in concept, but didn't seem a very friendly experience (for example it apparently had a poor english translation). They made a HD edition in 2015 with a new translation. But Pathologic 2 is kind of a full remake, not a sequel. But it's also different.
So Pathologic 2 came out.
I bought it.
I started playing.
I haven't gone back yet.

The movement controls are glitchy. You'd think that at this point in game dev something like pressing two orthogonal movement keys (such as forward and right) would be a solved problem. But in pathologic 2 if you press both too close together the strafe gets locked out and you just move forwards until you release and re-press the strafe key. The player collision volume seemed way too big too, I was bumping into stuff that I felt I shouldn't have.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Trying to play Alien Isolation in VR on the vive. I didn't get into the game when I played it on desktop, I found hiding in shafts all the time really boring, but I figured it might be more fun in VR.

On the positive side, it looks great and runs smooth on my GTX 970. I had high hopes.

On the negative, the controls are terrible. Movement is okay, but everything else is really confusing. I often find myself in situations where I need to do something, and I try pressing every conceivable button and pad area I can think of, and still nothing happens. For instance, if I log into a computer terminal, I have no idea how to get off it again, I end up stuck. Sometimes random pad mashing works, but I can't seem to find exactly what the procedure is.

Also can't seem to activate the radial item selection menu. A blank screen pops up but there's nothing on it even though I've collected items. I know I'm supposedly pressing the right button (centre right pad) since the MotherVR options tell me that's what I need to press.

The controls on the menus are horrible too, I never know if a pad press is going to back me out of a menu or start causing option changes I don't want.

So it's disappointing, it looked like it was going to be really fun at first, but now it looks like the controls are borked or insane so there's not much point in continuing.

I've also been trying Doom 3 BFG vr. Took ages to work out how to set it up, the instructions said to use the included installer, which didn't exist. I finally got it working though and it was really fun. Then I tried to get clever and install a hi res texture mod, and that broke it. So now I'm reinstalling it and hoping my game progress wasn't lost.
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

lonewolff wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:01 am Still playing SC2, arrghh! :lol:
Damn! Eight years on and still playing SC2. :shock:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

After watching the movies Iron Sky 2 and Overlord, I was in an over the top nazi fighting mood, so I've been replaying the newer Wolfenstein series. I did Old Blood and New Order last week, now I'm on New Colossus.
I should dig out my Return To Castle Wolfenstein cd and see how that holds up.
I never tried that 2009 Wolfenstein that came between RTCW and New Order. It disappeared from sale. But apparently it sucked, so no loss I guess.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

It's fun to go back to old games like that, but you have to prepare mentally if you haven't seen them in a while. Last time I replayed RTCW, I was shocked at how primitive it looked, even though when it first came out I was amazed. It was even worse when I replayed Soldier Of Fortune. I think they get frozen in memory as "best graphics ever" and so looking at them again for the first time in 15-20 years is a bit of a shock.

I don't really notice when I replay old Doom or Quake though, because I'm so used to them.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Regarding the 2009 Wolfenstein, I played it and it was okay. Had some bits I really liked, some of the enemies were cool, and the graphics for the time were quite good. But something about it didn't quite feel right, so it didn't rate as a "must play." At least that's my recollection.
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

I have it in my pile of shame.

It would be possible for me to make the time for all the games in my library but I have a game to finish :lol:

And right now I'm not even making any progress there, just messing around with blender2ogre.
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

I'm playing Elden Ring right now.

What an amazing game, I'm constantly thinking how the heck did they do this.

So much content and so much artistry and creativity, really impressive.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I'm about 270 hours in to Elden Ring, I haven't finished it yet, I'm trying to complete all possible side quests.

sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

Wow 270 hours, I'm just 180 hs in...

Just going through the snowy area getting beaten up by most creatures LoL.

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I got a non legit copy of elden ring as I wasn't convinced I'd like it was correct :D

So saved my self some cash there yes I would have bought it if I did like it just there was no demo.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

357 hours into Elden Ring and still doing side quests. :)
But now I've moved on to Borderlands 3 (since it was free on Epic last week).