What game are you playing now?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
lingfors
Hobgoblin

Re: What game are you playing now?

Post by lingfors »

Meanwhile, in Skyrim...

Just finished maxing Alchemy, Enchanting and Smithing. Went on to create the ultimate smithing and enchanting gear (by "ping-ponging" between creating better enchanting potions by using the best fortify alchemy enchanted gear, and creating better fortify alchemy gear by drinking the best fortify enchanting potion). Then I crafted dragonplate armor and improved it to legendary with fortify smithing gear + fortify smithing potions. Then I did the same with daedric weaponry.

Now I have 1300+ armor, and dual-wielded swords that do some 130+ damage each.

The game is not very fun any more... :(

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Still playing Just Cause 2. Man, this game is huge. Funny how the island is almost square and exactly 32768 by 32768 meters, who knew geography could be so convenient for binary arithmetic. So many different stories and side missions. So many different things to blow up. Jumping from one helicopter to another and another for a quick hijack. Very amusing game. I started blowing away cowering civilians for a bit of fun, afterall it says collateral damage is acceptable, but I feel weirdly guilty when I do. Strange because when I go crazy down the street with an armoured car, launching rockets at every passing car and blowing them to smithereens, I don't feel the same guilt at all. I like how utterly immoral the game is, even when you follow the missions you're doing despicable things like kidnapping good politicians and saving illegal drug labs. God bless the CIA.

Can't believe I got this game for $5. Can only hope the movie is half as sociopathic. Still, the "hunt down all items to complete the base" part is a pain, as I said before. If they make a third, I hope they change that. Make needed items show up on the radar or something.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.

lingfors
Hobgoblin

Post by lingfors »

mkultra333 wrote:Still, the "hunt down all items to complete the base" part is a pain, as I said before. If they make a third, I hope they change that. Make needed items show up on the radar or something.
I think they do... But you have to be fairly close, and you don't get the direction, only how close you are.

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

@mkultra333

Sounds a bit like infamous. I used to get tied of the civilians getting in the way so used to shockwave blastem into the sea or somthing :)

Was just cause any good? I'm sticking 2 on my list of things to play but always try and play the earlier ones as well :)

@lingfors

I've gone the mage route I have decided so light armour only makes it more challenging especially those giants and mammoths. Started a fight with 1 last night and 4 of his mates turned up with mammoths no idea where they came from I just about survived lol. 1 hit takes 1/4 to half my HP.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

lingfors wrote:I think they do... But you have to be fairly close, and you don't get the direction, only how close you are.
Yeah, if you're within about 10 metres a location pointer comes up on the screen, but the bases are so huge it isn't a huge help when you're hunting down that last 3% to complete the base. It takes way too long to wander around on foot, I find the only effective method is to hover around the base in a helicopter to try to locate missing boxes. But sometimes they hide them under bridges or such. It's my one gripe with the game, such a time-wasting pace-killer.

Oh, and a crappy save system, but that seems to be universal with games these days. The golden age of Doom "save everything at any moment you like" days are long gone. Writing a game myself, I can sort of see how difficult it can be to correctly capture the entire state of the game at any instant, and the relative ease of checkpoints is just too tempting.

Zonder, I have no idea what the first one was like. It doesn't seem to be needed to follow the second.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Anyone played FF XIII-2 yet? I downloaded the demo but not had chance to actually try it. I got a feeling it's going to be crap the XIII one was a huge dissapointment
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I've never played an FF game, but XIII-2 reminds me of X3 Terran Conflict (sequel/expansion/whatever to X3 Reunion), and I'll take any chance to mention how cool the X series is. :)

Hmm, other than sports games (all those "Famous Name / Sport name, Year++" series), has any other game reached XIII-2 level of sequeldom?

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Kojack wrote:I've never played an FF game, but XIII-2 reminds me of X3 Terran Conflict (sequel/expansion/whatever to X3 Reunion), and I'll take any chance to mention how cool the X series is. :)
Just read about X3 sounds alreight so it's now on my wish list :)

Waruck
Goblin

Post by Waruck »

Kojack wrote:... has any other game reached XIII-2 level of sequeldom?
Mega Man has 10 games in it's original series, 5 games for the classic gameboy and 9 games in the x-series, which have all more in common with the original series then any given final fantasy ;)
Also the Castlevania series has reached it's 25th game.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

25 Castlevania games?
Damn

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Did they make more like 2 simons quest that one was good. Not played any now since the N64 I think

Waruck
Goblin

Post by Waruck »

All the hand-held titles were 2D plattformers like the early titles. However they stepped back from using towns because most player didn't like that about simon's quest. Now you just run around in one castle, collect equipment and level up. They all have different magic and ability systems. If you like 2D plattformers and the whip-lashing you should definitly try some of them.
The last title I played was Circle of the Moon which has a nice magick system, you have to combine one of 10 ability cards with 10 element cards to generate one of 100 different abilities. Unfortunatly most of them aren't very useful and the cards have a very low drop-rate.. if you don't know where they drop you'll miss most of them.

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I liked to town part I must be in the minority lol :)

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I played the demo of FF XIII-2 last night it's very similar in play style to FF XIII it left me thinking not sure

In the FF main series there is 14 games but they have also released other series which are still like FF a good example is FF Crusyal Cronicle: Ring of Fates that one reminded me of the older games.

Check this page there are loads http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fi ... ideo_games

merlinblack
Goblin

Post by merlinblack »

Skyrim's Creation kit is an interesting insight on the way they have designed various systems. However I kept thinking of the editor itself - "This is a slightly polished version of what they used??? Those poor people!"

At any rate it looks like I'll be playing Skyrim for a long long time.
"He'd never realized that, deep down inside, what he really wanted to do was make things go splat."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I haven't tried the skyrim kit yet. But I've used the morrowind and oblivion kits.
For stuff like item stats, npcs details, etc it's awesome. But I fully agree with the "Those poor people!" for the devs trying to place objects and build the world.

Jusas
Halfling

Post by Jusas »

Skyrim skyrim... been playing that for a long time now and I'm starting to get tired of it ;) Time to move on.

There's a nice little indie game that hasn't been mentioned yet: Star Ruler (http://starruler.blind-mind.com/). It's a 4X game (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) and quite an excellent game. The graphics aren't astonishing but the gameplay is very nice and the AI is challenging. You can design your ships from scratch and build them as small or as huge as you like. Bought it myself from Steam and it was definitely money well spent. I really have to recommend this one, it's been made by a small dev team and it's quite an addicting game :)

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Giving Just Cause 2 a rest and started Bioshock 2 the other day, since it was on sale on Steam 75% off. I liked the first, and the second seems to be more of the same so far, no complaints. Left wing social psychiatry comes in for critique this time on top of right wing libertarianism. I really like these games, mostly for the very unique environment. A disintegrating 1930s city under the sea where genetic superpowers can be purchased from vending machines and little girls use huge syringes to suck energy out of the corpses that lay scattered about. It's so bizarre yet so natural.

They've added 3DVision stereoscopic support, I probably wouldn't have played otherwise. They've done a fair job. Had to turn off dynamic shadows, they don't work in stereo, and that's normally a deal breaker for me, but the rest of the light mapped environment is so unique and pretty that the game still looks great without them. Some issues with halos in the fog, but only occasionally and nothing unbearable if the depth and convergence are set right. So a pretty good stereoscopic experience.

Also played a little of the free-to-play 8-bit-ish "Realm of the Mad God." Its a fun way to kill five minutes until you get perma-killed and have to start again, though I can't really bare more than a few minutes every few days, maybe while waiting for a TV show to start or something.

merlinblack
Goblin

Post by merlinblack »

Yeah, I nabbed Bioshock 2 from the Steam sale too. And Bioshock as well. :D
"He'd never realized that, deep down inside, what he really wanted to do was make things go splat."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Bioshock 2 was great. Finished a while ago.

Been playing a bit of Deus Ex Human Revolution, bought it on special. It got heaps of good reviews. But I'm finding it really boring.

Way too many cut scenes where you have to click through conversations that go on and on and on. I've finished the first terrorist mission and since then it's just been talk, talk, talk and walking through buildings. Ended up with mission indicators all over my screen, find myself wandering pointlessly through alleys unable to get into buildings I need. Haven't shot anything in half an hour. Game forces stealth on me, I mostly hate stealth. I'm an augmented superman yet can't climb a fence, jump a decent distance or survive a ten foot drop.

And they botched the stereo 3D conversion, it works but they nerfed the depth controls so it may as well be 2D it looks so flat, worst stereo I've seen. I know everyone loves this game, but I'm finding it tedious and disappointing and don't know if I can be bothered finishing it.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I'm back in skyrim again, I thought I should finish it off. But I'm determined to do every side quest available before finishing the main plot.

Plus I felt like getting into modding once I heard that it uses a new event driver object oriented scripting language called papyrus.
But it turns out papyrus sucks almost as much as the last one. There's still no way to get a list of an object's (or player's) inventory. You can ask if they have a specific item by id number, you can add or remove items by id number, but you can't iterate through an inventory. So if you wanted a script that made the player drop all items that weighed over 5 units (no idea what the unit of weight in skyrim is), you'd need to hard code a list of every item id in the game (and of cause items added by mods would be missing from that) and ask the player if each one is in their inventory. That's so much more painful and broken (with respect to mods) than a for loop that gets each inventory item and asks for it's weight.

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I am waiting for Skyrim to go on sale. :P

If it's like Oblivion, only with better graphics, then I really can't be bothered shelling out 50 Euros for it.

Been playing Fallout 3 now for a while.
Am on my 3rd rump through it - and already have the Tenpenny muzak on my brain :(
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I got bored of morrowind and didn't finish it. I got bored of oblivion and didn't finish it. I installed 2GB of mods on oblivion and became interested again, but then got bored again and didn't finish it.
But I'm now over 160 hours into skyrim and still not bored. There's something about it that makes it hold my attention longer, even though when I try to objectively compare it to the previous elder scroll games it comes up short.
Kind of like how Gothic 3 was a broken game with some horrible combat mechanics, but I just enjoyed the world so much more than oblivion.

Games I'm looking forward to (in the immediate future): Legend Of Grimrock (a hybrid of skyrim graphics with amiga Dungeon Master gameplay (first person rpg with 90 degree turning and grid based movement)) comes out tomorrow, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is out next week and Risen 2 (which hopefully won't be banned in australia like Risen 1) is out in 2 weeks.

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I'm really tempted to get Skyrim. I'm not normally into your dragonny elfish games, but it's very popular and rates well for stereo. But it's pretty expensive, like Jacmoe I'm waiting for a sale.

Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Dark Souls killed any willing to play Skyrim for me, but Ive finished it for months and I dont have a PS3 here so I might start a game of Skyrim soon... when I find time to have a second life....