What game are you playing now?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Re: What game are you playing now?

Post by lonewolff »

Sadly, I am still playing SC2 :roll:

Over 1200 wins now though :wink:

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Hard Reset is an awesome game.
I finished the game then started game+ at the next difficulty, damn it's hard, even with all the weapons unlocked!

The steam sales have pushed me back even further in the list of games I need to play.

Skyrim is annoying me now that there's a dark brotherhood mission I have chosen to refuse to do on moral grounds, but I can't rebel and kill the brotherhood off because they are all using god mode cheats. :(
Oh well, at 120+ hours and getting the game for half the normal australian price by ordering from england, I think I've got my money's worth even if it's now annoying me.
(I could just ignore the mission and not progress in the brotherhood, but I hate leaving side quests unfinished)

I started playing From Dust (it was a christmas gift from a co-worker). Water effects are awesome. Controls are horrible.

Wow, Chronicles Of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena is only $4.99 on steam today! That's a great game on it's own, plus it comes with the HD remake of Escape From Butcher Bay. So a digital vin diesel murdering his way through two full length games for only $4.99? I bought it for $80 and I almost want to buy it again!
This is one of the few games I've played which supports analog joystick movement without a 360 controller. So I can use my Logitech G13's joystick in analog mode instead of digital like in 99.999% of other games.
Anybody else looking forward to the 3rd Riddick movie that's being made? Well, 4th if you count Dark Fury.

abhay
Gnoblar

Post by abhay »

Completed Dead Space 2 - better in terms of Game play,Levels than its predecessor. Rest all is pretty much the same.

Currently playing L.A Noire & Witcher 1. L.A. Noire has probably the best facial expressions/movements of NPC i have ever seen in any game.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I started playing Splinter Cell Conviction (it was on sale). I'm a fan of the Splinter Cell series, and I know one of the designers, so I thought I'd finally give Conviction a chance.
I could list all the things they got wrong (no mouse wheel speed control??????!!!!!!), but instead it's the drm that's pissed me off more. I went to play some more tonight but the ubisoft servers couldn't be reached. Oh yay, I can't play a single player game because it can't chat with ubisoft's server while I play.
I just checked, the server is back. But now when I start the game my progress is wiped and my PEC challenge points are back at 0. I have to start from the beginning again.
Come on Ubi, it's hard enough to enjoy this without messing with my save game.
:(

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Jeez, that sux. And I thought Windows Live was a pain.

Playing Batman Arkham City. Only just started, but I really like that you get to play as Catwoman too.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Damn, it even wiped my key bindings, those are stored on the ubisoft server too???
I'm back on mission 2, grinding pec points.

Arkham City was cool. While I prefer Batman for the general open environment gameplay, Catwoman is much more fun in the combat challenge maps. She's so damn fast, do a few of the really crazy challenge fights then play as batman, it feels like he's in slow motion. :)

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Got skyrim at christmas so playing that now.

Got to say though it's a bit of a dissapointment nothing really has changed just a new world with new quests, should of been an expansion imo.

Not saying I won't play it all though ;)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I finished Conviction. Now I've started X3 Albion Prelude.
And X-Plane 10, but I haven't tried any serious flying yet.

gamedboy
Gremlin

Post by gamedboy »

Skyrim ftw! ...after 15 hours of playing, I am only level 9, the road ahead seem so long :(

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

It can be a long road alright, I'm at 132 hours. I really should get back to finishing the main story. :)

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I'm currently @ 52 hours played and only lvl 32..... But I just got smithing to 100 :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Kojack wrote:It can be a long road alright, I'm at 132 hours. I really should get back to finishing the main story. :)
I always got bored with the main story in the middle of it in all previous Elder Scrolls, and get attracted to big "well thought" quests like the vampire quests and the thief quests in oblivion.

I should start Skyrim in few weeks... and I just remembered that I have an entry for the Diablo 3 beta test that I didn't even downloaded yet :mrgreen:

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Klaim wrote:
Kojack wrote: and I just remembered that I have an entry for the Diablo 3 beta test that I didn't even downloaded yet :mrgreen:
git :evil:

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Those quotes are a little mixed up, Klaim talked about Diablo 3, not me. :)
The only beta I've been accepted in recently is Microsoft Flight.

I've never finished an elder scrolls main story.
I never got out of the first dungeon in daggerfall.
I got bored of morrowind when I hit level 14 and had an enchanted sword which did so much contact and area effect damage that I could kill anything I found with one hit.
I got bored of oblivion, then restarted it with 2GB of mods such as OOO, which made it insanely difficult (I think it took around 2 days of playing to reach level 2 with those mods on). I played that quite a bit, but the oblivion gate missions were way too hard then.
Skyrim has kept my interest longer than any of them. It has a lot of problems, but I like it more. Except the UI. I want to punch whoever designed it. I also want to punch whoever designed the camera controls in the elder scrolls construction kit. I use it as a case study in my level editor lectures to show how not to control a camera.
I wish there were more fps rpg developers though. Arkane Studios made one of the best: Arx Fatalis. Awesome game, a true spiritual sequel to Ultima Underworld. Then they went rpg-light with Dark Messiah, then went off to work on multiplayer stuff. I want Arx Fatalis 2!
(Arkane may be releasing Dishonoured soon, if wikipedia's due date is right. It sounds cool.)

merlinblack
Goblin

Post by merlinblack »

Kojack wrote:Except the UI. I want to punch whoever designed it.
Me too :evil:. Quite besides it's bugs, it's a great example of how not to do it. Too much bling vs function and inconsistent. That and they can't decide if you should be using a mouse or the keyboard! Don't know how often I've selected the wrong bit of dialog.
"He'd never realized that, deep down inside, what he really wanted to do was make things go splat."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

On the other hand, I really like the interface of X3. It combines joystick, mouse and keyboard, and even has different contexts for each depending on what you are doing, but it just seems to work. Most people probably hate it though.
For example, while I've got the stock market display open and I'm trading stock using macros on my logitech g13, I can be flying my ship using joystick/throttle at the same time (the stock market window is slightly transparent and a bit smaller than the screen). I also love the fact that they expose a scripting language which lets you write your own turret ai and ship enhancements, and even take the most popular user scripts and build them into the next updates of the game.

I still hate that I can't use 3 joystick devices at once in X3 (it can detect them all, but only one can be bound to), but Egosoft have managed to survive for many years making a series of niche games. Well done to them.

(I still dream of an Independence War 3 and Freespace 3. Of course I never expected to see Deus Ex 3, so maybe there's still hope)
I'm currently @ 52 hours played and only lvl 32..... But I just got smithing to 100
Hehe, smithing is the only skill I've got at 100. :)
(Sneaking and archery are getting close though)

lingfors
Hobgoblin

Post by lingfors »

Kojack wrote:Hehe, smithing is the only skill I've got at 100. :)
(Sneaking and archery are getting close though)
Damn thiefs... Real men use heavy armor and dual-wielded swords.

;)

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

not sure what happened with the quotes there :roll:

yeah so far skyrim has been more insteresting. morrowwind I got to about lvl 15 the just put cheats on and nuked everything then never played it again :) oblivion was better played that for about 120 hours I think but then got bored as I got that crusader armour and never needed anything else again which spoilt it.

the interface isn't too bad but i'm playing it on the PS3 so I don't think it will have the same interface (If it does I completely get why you hate it :))

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

the interface isn't too bad but i'm playing it on the PS3 so I don't think it will have the same interface (If it does I completely get why you hate it :))
It is the same interface. The game even disables the mouse cursor if it detects a 360 controller plugged in, even if I don't intend to use it. That's just idiotic.

For a console the ui and controls are probably fine, but for a pc it's just wrong. I don't mind console controls for certain games (prototype, arkham city, darksiders, etc), but for a first person rpg it should follow different design decisions.

Luckily I've got mods which fix some of it. Having sortable columns of item stats instead of one at a time is much better. But the mods are glitchy.

Damn thiefs... Real men use heavy armor and dual-wielded swords.
I hide in the shadows, you hide behind armour.

Actually I've been less inclined to steal stuff in this game. I've seen valuable stuff in people's houses and I ignore it, because I feel sorry for them. That's odd, I'm normally the kind of guy who would be pulling the nails from the walls to sell as scrap metal.

If radiant ai was fully ramped up it would make things interesting. Imagine if npcs actually needed to use their money to buy food and pay rent. If you steal from them, they end up starving and homeless. Or they could blame the wrong person for it, an innocent person could be jailed or executed. In most rpgs there's no moral implications to stealing.
morrowwind I got to about lvl 15 the just put cheats on
I think I did too, it's called learning enchanting. :)

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Kojack wrote:I hide in the shadows, you hide behind armour.

Actually I've been less inclined to steal stuff in this game. I've seen valuable stuff in people's houses and I ignore it, because I feel sorry for them. That's odd, I'm normally the kind of guy who would be pulling the nails from the walls to sell as scrap metal.

If radiant ai was fully ramped up it would make things interesting. Imagine if npcs actually needed to use their money to buy food and pay rent. If you steal from them, they end up starving and homeless. Or they could blame the wrong person for it, an innocent person could be jailed or executed. In most rpgs there's no moral implications to stealing.
yeah it certainly would. I don't think current gen consoles could handle it. If they released PC/Mac only they would have alot more ram available to hold the stats needed.

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Finished the Batman part of Arkham City so giving it a rest before more of the Catwoman part.

Playing Just Cause 2, got it for $5 during the steam sales. Looks good in stereo. Basically an open world terrorist game, you go around a small island causing "Chaos" like hijacking military helicopters, blowing stuff up left, right and centre, and killing lots of soldiers in between crushing civilian cars underneath your stolen armoured vehicle. But you work for the CIA, they're supposedly corrupt foreigners, and the games got "Just Cause" in the title, so it's all ethically ok.

It's quite fun. I find open world games a bit daunting, I never know what to do, and I'm constantly side tracked. I'm deliberately attacking some outposts just so they'll send a helicopter I can hijack with my grapple and fly to my real objective. Completing missions can be annoying because it tells you a % complete but not what you have to find/destroy next. So it can be a fun 5 minutes getting 95% and a boring 55 minutes trying to work out what you've missed. But still, an interesting game with a graphically and physically impressive sandbox world.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

There's a Just Cause movie in the works.
If it doesn't have Rico grapple/parachuting across an island for half the film, I don't want to see it.

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Definitely.

A movie based on a player's actual game would be interesting. Seeing Rico jump into a car and then drive like a drunk on meth, wildly swerving all over the road, running civilian cars into the gutter or just crashing through them, would be fun. At least, that's how I drive, I'm never any good in video game vehicles. And people sure can take a lot of bullets in that game, Rico especially. He gets raked over by helicopter heavy machine gun fire and still keeps running. Tough guy.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

My opinion has changed a little. Last night I bought a Boron Thresher frigate in X3 Albion Prelude. Now the user interface is annoying me. The Thresher doesn't have conventional docking ports, it's a massive ship. There's only two kinds of stations (that I've seen so far) that it can dock with: station yards and equipment docks. But in X3 AP most equipment docks have 0 of every weapon, you need to go to other stations. They all have zero as well, unless you resupply them with resources first. But trading with other stations is now damn difficult. I need to use freight drones to transfer (I've got a transporter, but it doesn't work on stations). It's very cumbersome and annoying. My ship has around 18 gun ports. There were only 4 guns at the equipment dock (each costing 0.9 million credits). I have less than 10% of the max shield rating.

So far the most fun has been flying around in my Centaur. Awesome ship, although slow. I want something a bit faster, but with at least equal shields and weapons.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I've changed games again.
Now I've started Assassin's Creed 2 (got it in the steam sales).

This is my first Assassin's Creed game. I know one of the artists from the series, so I thought I'd better get around to trying it. :)

Hmm. The start of the game has a surprising lack of killing for a game with Assassin in the name. Lots of punching, no murder.
I eventually got to the killing bits, but that part isn't as fun as I was hoping. It's hard to enjoy any game with many vs one melee combat after playing Batman Arkham City, and the actual assassinations seem to be mostly "run at guy and stab him". I was hoping it would be more Hitman style planning and careful execution (no pun intended).