Playstation 4 - Engines

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Klaim
Old One

Playstation 4 - Engines

Post by Klaim »

This is not a thread about next-gen consoles but I wanted to point this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1880 ... lopers.php

So I think Ogre would be quite a good candidate for use on PS4 even if not as optimized than some other engine. However we still have no clue if there will be more...opennness of the platform on the publishing side. They said they "want" to get more open but we have no idea what they mean for now.

I was thinking, a not-so-radical way of opening the plateform would have been to allow tool developers (like the Ogre team) to easily get on the platform (cheap access to a hardware SDK for example), even if I don't think it's possible without totally opening the platform to anyone. What do you think?

Obviously, this is all wild speculation, but we're in the lounge drinking sugared cocktails (I don't like alcohol's tastes) so I guess it's ok trying to guess what would be cool for fun.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: Playstation 4 - Engines

Post by EricB »

Christ there is already a PS4?! :shock:
I own a PS3 and only have 2 games...
Boy programing has really sucked up my freetime... :(

Anyhoo I highly doubt they'd give us the SDK kit to port Ogre over. Remember they said PS3 would support linux before they backed out due to drm issues or some such none-sense. I think the bigger guys would have a fit if FOSS engines started eating into their console engine sales. :wink:
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

True, Sony hasn't been the best friend of open source indy dev in the past.
But I'm sure even Sony have noticed the kinds of money pouring in through the apple and android app stores due to small indy devs.
They also started to get the right idea by releasing the psp sdk (I haven't looked into how that's gone, did it ever leave beta?).
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Well I wish they would hurry up my ps3 broke last night had it since 2006 though and gutted as it played ps1 and 2 games as well :(
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Well... in all honesty... (classic) console gaming is as good as dead, IMO.
My hope is that this is the last console generation and at some point, one's PC and console is one and the same thing.

Just take a look at the PS4. It is a 2 year old PC attached to your TV. The only thing special about it are the artificial exclusive titles. Everything else you can also get on your PC/Laptop.
Also, 80€ for a title (at least that is one of the more likely reports)... wtf.
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

TheSHEEEP wrote:Well... in all honesty... (classic) console gaming is as good as dead, IMO.
My hope is that this is the last console generation and at some point, one's PC and console is one and the same thing.

Just take a look at the PS4. It is a 2 year old PC attached to your TV. The only thing special about it are the artificial exclusive titles. Everything else you can also get on your PC/Laptop.
you are forgetting though it will be cheaper than a comparable pc they could also go the apple route and make it into a functioning pc replacment. I see microsoft doing this with the new xbox tbh
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

bronzebeard wrote:Anyhoo I highly doubt they'd give us the SDK kit to port Ogre over. Remember they said PS3 would support linux before they backed out due to drm issues or some such none-sense. I think the bigger guys would have a fit if FOSS engines started eating into their console engine sales. :wink:
Things have highly changed since then. Are you familiar with the "MineCraft problem"?

Basically a lot of people think that with the SteamBox coming and other variations of the same idea of an open (or just "more open than current") console would make a closed PS4 or XBox720 a dead-end.

So we really don't know where it's going because there are clues that these consoles will be more open, but we still don't know what it means.
TheSHEEEP wrote:Well... in all honesty... (classic) console gaming is as good as dead, IMO.

True but specific hardware with specific controller makes really a huge difference in exploiting it. Before, it took time to exploit the power because it was "alien" hardware (in particular for the PSs) but now that they're going with something like PC, it's a huge improvement for devs.
Also, it's the same argument for the SteamBox (I don't know about the controller though).

Also the 80$ a title is not true anymore, because it's true only for AAA which makes less and less sense whatever the platform. I mean, it makes less sense to put too much money in projects that, in reallity, just need time and an expert team.
simedj
Goblin

Post by simedj »

My hope is that this is the last console generation and at some point, one's PC and console is one and the same thing..
Hah, people have been saying that as long as I can remember... your PC will be your console and your media centre... but in reality it's just never happened outside a few niche techies.

The role of the PC doesn't seem to be any more in the living room than it was 10 years ago... if anything phones and tablets are pushing the computer back for work only because you don't need laptop to browse the web or watch TV catchup now.

Anyway... Unity3D seems to always have ports for console platforms so perhaps Ogre could get a similar deal. However, you'd still need (probably) a PS4 dev-kit or to hack your PS4 to actually test anything.
Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me with a contact email address if interested.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Anyway... Unity3D seems to always have ports for console platforms so perhaps Ogre could get a similar deal.
The problem is that Unity is closed source (and has money), so it's much easier to make deals with companies that don't want their sdk's exposed.

Ogre has been ported to consoles in the past, but the sdk license agreements prevented anything from being publicly released.