On CodeBlocks, QtCreator, the Universe and Ogre

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
dermont
Bugbear

Re: On CodeBlocks, QtCreator, the Universe and Ogre

Post by dermont »

draxd2007 wrote: Yes it is, in theory it is perfectly simple but in practice blockage on boost, it won't compile with bunch of errors.
Maybe if you post the actual errors someone can help. I know cross-compiling boost was a major pain, as was Ogre including it's propensity to invoke a total rebuild on nearly every change made.
draxd2007
Kobold

Post by draxd2007 »

Update : I managed to compile everything with clean version of MINGW. It looks like boost build system does not like TDM MINGW.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

I use C::B in Linux, and I've got zero problems with it. Just make sure you use the nightly builds and not the stable. Dont' use "wizards" or "cmake" etc, just set up your project by hand!

If you're in Windows, there isn't any (good) reason to use anything other than Visual Studios. You can spout off all the FOSS junk you want if it helps your ego, but it won't help your code.
draxd2007
Kobold

Post by draxd2007 »

bronzebeard wrote:I use C::B in Linux, and I've got zero problems with it. Just make sure you use the nightly builds and not the stable. Dont' use "wizards" or "cmake" etc, just set up your project by hand!

If you're in Windows, there isn't any (good) reason to use anything other than Visual Studios. You can spout off all the FOSS junk you want if it helps your ego, but it won't help your code.
No I don't like Visual C++ , it is good compiler but horrible IDE. It's not about FOSS, I just got use to Eclipse. For work I use GCC with Eclipse and liking it much more that VC.
petersvp
Gnoblar

Post by petersvp »

It's now my turn. This post is looking like "storytelling", or a fairytale, but at least I thing that it is nott offtopic.

My app - a game engine - is Qt-centric and I were developing it with QtCreator and MingW that ship with the Qt Creator. But the time for 3D graphics has come and I had decided that despite my LOVE with OpenGL, It just can't go because of these Intel videocards...umm... videocraps... after some opengl rendering code was written. Writing in RAW DirectX was not an option, because I really hate this library. But, the stalemate was: Raw OpenGL can't work on Intel, learning DirectX won't work on linux and consoles... and the situation started to get even more complicated. I abandoned the project just for a while, got to play Max Payne 3 then Crysis 2, and after this 2 weeks relax, the research about rendering only engines started. As usual, the "Irrlicht vs Ogre". I downloaded Irrlicht first, but despite the facts it was easy, I didn't liked it at all... for unknown what reason, Ogre got to look more promising to me.

And the real war begun then. I downloaded Ogre's sources and dependencies, the dependencies package compiled but the Ogre source didn't - the MingW linker that ships with Qt Creator crashed. Tried this 4 times that day, it just crashed. Half Life 2: Deathmatch, sleep and next day. I downloaded fresh mingW, and successfully compiled Ogre. but... This compilation cannot suffice. There got the time to compile Qt...... I said "NEVERRRRR", then I felt like smashed kitten. Compiling Qt is THE serious pain in the arse, compared to Ogre. (BTW I love Ogres, they are so cute, after all, I'd prefer ogre oet than a dog pet :D). I got depressed, back to Half Life 2 DM and another one sleep. However, this particular problem will persist any sleep, but i marked it as unsolvable anyway. I decided to try Ogre and relax a bit from my game engine. I set-up Code::Blocks to use the mingw and my own Ogre built, and I really got impressed by all of Ogre features, except the resource managers and that need to name everything globally-unique, because I am loading my data from elsewhere, usually manually. Whatever, that was not the case, the case was that I got Ogre up and running and got my own GLSL shaders "running" on my ManualObject generated pyramid :) But the time was ticking, I had only one month remaining to prepare some beta of my engine. Investors invited me to an interview, earlier than expected...
Then after my attempt to compile Qt from source failed as well, most because my stupidity, I decided that I will go with that official Microsoft compiler. Got Qt SDK for Visual Studio, got that Ogre source, and compiled it as usual. I was impressed by the speed of the compiling process, but not by the application preformance, MingW's STL is waaaaay faster then Microsoft's STL on my mashine, and really Microsoft STL killed the performance of my project. Porting to MSVC took just a day, my project got up and running... with an Ogre viewport :) Qt 5.0.1, Qt Creator, QMAKE-based project, MSVC 2010, own Ogre build... (that I get rid of and downloaded the official Ogre build later then). Then I made my project to use Qt's containers instead of STL and the performance problem went away. However, I see that Ogre uses a lot of STL and STD inside and I don't like this, but a friend of me have its own SSE based and very well optimised implementation of subset of STL (somehow inspired by MingW's implementation and Qt's containers), and he is now making it support Ogre as well. Also there are rumors that VS 2013 will actually optimise STL's performance but I can't try it on my PC. After I completed the OGRE implementation and ported old shaders from GLSL to HLSL, I felt inspired. But for now, I really abandoned the Linux build because I used a LOT of win32 glue code to integrate Ogrw with Qt and workaround all these Qt bugs :)
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

petersvp, let's return back to linux and start coding engine with me, bro )
Voltage Engine - boost your ogre project with realtime physics and interactive scripting!
OgreBullet & CMake - easy to use bullet physics integration.
petersvp
Gnoblar

Post by petersvp »

Sorry but I'd prefer working on Windows as is, now :))
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

petersvp wrote:Sorry but I'd prefer working on Windows as is, now :))
Maybe in crossplatform manner in this case? ; )
Voltage Engine - boost your ogre project with realtime physics and interactive scripting!
OgreBullet & CMake - easy to use bullet physics integration.