Any good C++ books out there?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Sslaxx
Greenskin

Any good C++ books out there?

Post by Sslaxx »

As it says really: anyone know of any good books to learn from (or to brush up with)? Feel the need to revise what (little) I know about C++, and catch up on it (especially with C++11 out there).

Suggestions?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore
Faranwath
Halfling

Re: Any good C++ books out there?

Post by Faranwath »

The absolute reference would have to be Bjarne Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language", 4th edition. I can assure you it's quality stuff.
PhilipLB
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by PhilipLB »

Effective C++ and More Effective C++!
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst

Volume GFX, accepting donations.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Faranwath wrote:The absolute reference would have to be Bjarne Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language", 4th edition. I can assure you it's quality stuff.
Not for learning...
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, totally. I would highly recommend "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata and "C++ Primer" by Stanley B. Lippman (similar names, no relation, read them in that order).

Both have been updated for C++11 and are really great material to learn from.
Faranwath
Halfling

Post by Faranwath »

Not for learning...
... how to program. Granted, but for learning C++ I still think it's far a better choice than any Primer.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Faranwath wrote:
Not for learning...
... how to program. Granted, but for learning C++ I still think it's far a better choice than any Primer.
I don't agree. It's not good for learning C++ too. I mean it have all the information and it's quite good when you have some basics, but it's still not a good introduction book frankly.
But it's a must-read to complete your knowledge of C++. I really wouldn't recommend it for programmers wanting to learn C++.

That being said, I didn't read the last edition for C++11 so I might be wrong.
Faranwath
Halfling

Post by Faranwath »

@Klaim: I see your point, really. C++ is quite big, and when you add the C-inherited odd stuff... well, I'm sure you know what I mean. TCPL4 is, in my opinion, an improvement over TCPL3. I enjoyed the first chapter, much as I did with the one in "Programming: Principles and Practice using C++".
At the end, I think it's a matter of choice. True, "C++ Primer" 5th edition is a lot more "reader-friendly", so to say, but I regard Bjarne's as a great book on C++. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making a Bible out of it or anything like that, but I did like reading it.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Well it's nice to hear that then. I'll wait for a C++14 version to be released before getting this one again.
diegomp1982
Kobold

Post by diegomp1982 »

PhilipLB wrote:Effective C++ and More Effective C++!
I can only totally agree! This and "Design Patterns: elements of reusable object-oriented software" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Design-patterns ... 0201633612) are the two pillars for any programmer starting to do serious stuff in C++. The second book is not C++ oriented, but it is still fundamental.
¿Que es real?, ¿Como defines lo real? Si estas hablando de lo que puedes sentir, lo que puedes oler, lo que puedes saborear y ver, entonces lo real son simplemente señales electricas interpretadas por tu cerebro. (Morfeo, the Matrix)