New Computer advice (Q4 2013)

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

New Computer advice (Q4 2013)

Post by al2950 »

Hi all

Its time to upgrade my main desktop machine, which is currently rocking a Geforce 8800 GTS :), to something that I will resist upgrading for at least 5 years! I will be sticking to a Intel/NVIDIA combo. However what I am wondering is if I should wait for the next generation of processors to arrive along with DDR4, or should I just buy something now!

Anyway, any opinions and/or advice would be much appreciated.

**EDIT**
Computer will be mainly used for developing, and playing Battlefield 4!
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Re: New Computer advice (Q4 2013)

Post by cybereality »

Might as well go all out and get a GTX 780. Something that will last.

I remember I had a 8800 GTS in this machine when I first built it. It was a great card.

I have since upgraded multiple times, now I have GTX 470 SLI but even that is showing it's age.

No point on waiting, there will always be something better right around the corner.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

What sorta budget are you looking at and will you self build?
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Zonder wrote:What sorta budget are you looking at and will you self build?
Yeah I will self build, although I need almost everything apart from a case! Would look to build something for around £1k so looking fairly high end (i7 4th gen, gtx 770).

Just wondering if DDR4 would make any big differences, on paper it does not seem to, but I dont know much about it! Furthermore should I wait for the next gen of geforce cards. Although as cybereality said there is always something better around the corner!
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Well I would get the best card you can I think on that budget a GTX770 is more like it. I would ensure you get a SLI motherboard so you can add another card in about 1 - 1.5 year time for a boost (should last 5 year then)

DDR4 I am not sure you will get much benefit unless you are memory intensive.

Check this pre-built on overclockers uk http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... =FS-374-OE. Its lists exact parts on details they used, so a good system to base off I think. You don't need a case or water cooling (presume your not overclocking). So that will give you some space cash wise for good GPU / More ram.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...