Monitor - GPU Query

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
insider
Orc

Monitor - GPU Query

Post by insider »

I have a Nvidia GTX560Ti and I will be purchasing a Dell S2440L 24" Monitor, the monitor only has a HDMI and VGA input (No DVI).
A 560Ti has 2- DVI and 1 Mini HDMI ports.
I currently have 2 monitors attached that use the 2 DVI ports, I am aware that a 560Ti will not take 3 monitors.
So will my idea of using 2 Monitors with one Monitor connected to a DVI port and another connected to the Mini HDMI port work, I am sure it will, just wanted to confirm it.
Is there any quality difference between a Mini HDMI and a regular HDMI port on a GPU ?
Any input would be great :)

Herb
Orc

Re: Monitor - GPU Query

Post by Herb »

The HDMI mini should just be a connector type difference, much like a micro USB. It came out with the HDMI 1.3 spec, should not be any different than the standard connector. And to the DVI and HDMI, HDMI is fully backwards compatible with DVI and there's nothing that needs to be converted signal-wise for that (so no video loss).

Really your question is regarding how NVIDIA on that card is using the HDMI mini port. I bet performance would be the same, but I'm doubtful you can run both HDMI and DVI ports at the same time. I bet the DVI output is being routed directly to the HDMI port when that port is used...

insider
Orc

Post by insider »

Herb wrote:The HDMI mini should just be a connector type difference, much like a micro USB. It came out with the HDMI 1.3 spec, should not be any different than the standard connector. And to the DVI and HDMI, HDMI is fully backwards compatible with DVI and there's nothing that needs to be converted signal-wise for that (so no video loss).

Really your question is regarding how NVIDIA on that card is using the HDMI mini port. I bet performance would be the same, but I'm doubtful you can run both HDMI and DVI ports at the same time. I bet the DVI output is being routed directly to the HDMI port when that port is used...
So do I have to skip the Mini HDMI port and get a DVI-HDMI adapter for my new monitor, so that both the monitors run on DVI itself ?
I remember reading somewhere that only the DVI port adjacent to the Mini HDMI is routed directly, can anyone confirm.

cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

Mini-HDMI and HDMI are effectively the same (just a different shape plug, same signal).

You should be fine using HDMI w/ that monitor. You just need a cheap little adapter, or an HDMI cord that is mini on one end and full on the other.

Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

One thing to be careful of, HDMI typically has a luminance range of 16-235 (reference black to reference white) with the values 0-15 and 236-255 used for synch, extra data, etc. It's part of the Rec 709 standard. This means HDMI will have a narrower brightness range. You can usually change this in the nvidia control panel (and I guess amd, I've only done it in nvidia).
I first found out about this on the oculus rift forum, people were noticing that using the hdmi port on the oculus control box didn't look as good as the dvi port, but you could fix that by changing the dynamic range setting in the nvidia control panel.

insider
Orc

Post by insider »

Okay I got the 24 inch and I used a DVI-HDMI adapter as I need 2 monitors.
But there is a heat spike in my GPU.
Idle temperature in my GPU with 2 20inch monitors is 35 degree Celsius.
Idle temperature in my GPU with 1 20inch and 1 24 inch monitor is 48 degrees? !!.

Normal ? :)