Pixel Pioneers: A Brief History of Graphics

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Pixel Pioneers: A Brief History of Graphics

Post by spacegaier »

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I can only recommend to watch the five part youtube series: "Pixel Pioneers: A Brief History of Graphics". It nicely outlines how far we have come since the beginning of video games and how those games evolved over time given the new technical possibilities...and can make you feel quite old depending on which games you played and remember.

Part 1:
[youtube]dzN2pgL0zeg[/youtube]

Part 2:
[youtube]a1yBP5t-fSA[/youtube]

Part 3:

[youtube]qxM9pMEnJQ0[/youtube]

Part 4:
[youtube]ZCwZtsrpWgc[/youtube]

Part 5:
[youtube]EpAHIutTE60[/youtube]
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
scrawl
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Pixel Pioneers: A Brief History of Graphics

Post by scrawl »

Since this is the off-topic forum, I don't feel guilty about going off-topic:
When will the forum support HTML5 video embedding? I haven't installed Flash on my machines in ages. All I can see here is a grey blob, so I have to click "quote" on posts and copy&paste the video ID into a new tab.
In my naive mind, all that needs to be done is changing the embed template, which shouldn't be difficult :)
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Yeah I guess phpbb uses the object tags to embed. The iframe embed is the one that obeys the user's youtube prefs and can support html5.

Oh well ... at least flash will always live on in scaleform :lol:

EDIT: for anyone who doesn't have flash, you can click on these. They look great, I'm going to watch when I get a moment today. Thanks spacegaier!
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

scrawl wrote:When will the forum support HTML5 video embedding?
Good point. Put on todo list :) .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Awesome series! I love how he uses the adjective "spartan". I really like Part 1 the most, because it was all before my time, being born in 1980. Even though I knew each of the games, I didn't realize that games like asteroids were not rendered using rasterization. I knew about tennis for two, but I guess I never made the connection between it and vector based games. Very very cool!
Herb
Orc

Post by Herb »

Well, I started the first one...and then sat and watched them all. :P Thank for the links. And to scrawl's point, I did appreciate the links as my Ubuntu machine just shows grey blob's as I don't have the right flash version on this machine either.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

There is a lot to say and not much time in these videos but they are nice, thanks for pointing them.
madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx »

It is a nice series, thanks for posting!
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0