Visual Studio 2015 released

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: Visual Studio 2015 released

Post by EricB »

Herb wrote:@bronzebeard - I'm in awe that you still run 2005... :D I didn't even know you could install / run that in win7 anymore.
I'm using XP64 (Server 2003) as my main dev box. But yes, vs2005 actually works on Windows 8! :)

You'd be more in awe if I told you I'm using QuickGUI on Ogre 1.7.4 in commercial product that has sold roughly 10,000 copies in a year. As that 90s female RnB band, TLC, once sang... "Don't go chasing technology. Please stick to that old code you're used to."
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

I am also still using VC2005.. but now it mostly to maintain the old code. The new project, is probably going to use VC2013, but 2005 is so much more convenient..
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
Daixiwen
Greenskin

Post by Daixiwen »

I don't like to change tools unless it is really necessary *and* I have lots of free time ahead. It's a nasty habit I got from my day job. We have some projects we are still maintaining with Borland C++ :D
Hardware, n.: part of the computer you can kick
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Herb wrote:Haven't seen benchmarks on those yet, but I "hear" 2015 is suppose to be a much improved compiler over older Microsoft ones.
While the interface got slower (been downhill since vs2008) every compiler has produced better code. I've gotten better framerates in Ogre for each new VS compiler.
foufou
Gnoblar

Post by foufou »

Etty wrote:
phobossion wrote:Out of curiosity - was any of you guys able to build the dependencies in Debug configuration? My compilation fails for SDL2 with ~10 unresolved externals, all from the CRT library. Release builds fine though, so I am using that in the meantime... Just curious if someone was able to work around this issue.

Also, is anyone working on the D3D11 support? From a quick look into "FindDirectX11.cmake" it seems the fix should be quite trivial. I can contribute it, but I am pretty sure someone else is doing it already, right?
Yeah this happened to me when I tried to build SDL2 along with the other dependencies.
Disable SDL2 in Cmake when generating the dependencies and built it separately using the provided solution in the VisualC folder of SDL2.

When configuring Ogre in Cmake I used the setup :

Code: Select all

SDL2MAIN_LIBRARY ..\SDL2\VisualC\Win32\Debug\SDL2main.lib
SD2_INCLUDE_DIR ..\SDL2\include
SDL2_LIBRARY_TEMP ..\SDL2\VisualC\Win32\Debug\SDL2.lib
Credit to dark_sylinc for this post.
And for more info about building SDL2 with VS you can also read the VisualC.html in the SDL2 folder.
Hi,
how i add

Code: Select all

SDL2MAIN_LIBRARY ..\SDL2\VisualC\Win32\Debug\SDL2main.lib
    SD2_INCLUDE_DIR ..\SDL2\include
    SDL2_LIBRARY_TEMP ..\SDL2\VisualC\Win32\Debug\SDL2.lib
i selct "add entry" in cmake and path?
drsly
Gnoblar

Post by drsly »

Hello, all

I know it's a few months on, but I've just begun using the latest version of Visual Studio.

I wrote an article about my experiences building Ogre 1.9 I thought I'd share:
http://www.aupcgroup.com/blog/index.php ... -2015.html
avengre
Halfling

Post by avengre »

Hello, has anyone found an issue with the D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1 not being found in OgreD3D11RenderSystem.cpp on Win10/vs2015?
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

avengre wrote:Hello, has anyone found an issue with the D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1 not being found in OgreD3D11RenderSystem.cpp on Win10/vs2015?
I don't have any problems building Ogre 1.9, 1.10, 2.0 and 2.1. I'll release the files during this week in my build thread.