Ebook about how to create an RTS game

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Eliascreate
Kobold

Ebook about how to create an RTS game

Post by Eliascreate »

Hello,

I've started to write an ebook about how to create an RTS game like Warcraft III. Do you think people will read it? Should I complete it? I've made one RTS engine in Irrlicht3D and one in Ogre3D both in C++. I've played a lot of RTS games, I want to share my knowledge about how to write your own RTS-engine and RTS games. What do you think?
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Re: Ebook about how to create an RTS game

Post by NotCamelCase »

Without knowing the contents and details of the book, I think it depends who you think to target by this book. There'll be always plenty of young, novice guys that'll want to develop the next big Warcraft-like RTS game and look for help online so it can be a valuable resource in that way to teach necessary RTS elements (systems, implementations, etc.) although it can be debated how many of them would rather want a C++ native engine such as Ogre instead of other easy to use engines.
Check out my projects: https://github.com/NotCamelCase
Eliascreate
Kobold

Post by Eliascreate »

NotCamelCase wrote:Without knowing the contents and details of the book, I think it depends who you think to target by this book. There'll be always plenty of young, novice guys that'll want to develop the next big Warcraft-like RTS game and look for help online so it can be a valuable resource in that way to teach necessary RTS elements (systems, implementations, etc.) although it can be debated how many of them would rather want a C++ native engine such as Ogre instead of other easy to use engines.
I'm thinking of not using C++ in the book but rather the foundation of the RTS elements you also mentioned.
BigMan
Gnoblar

Post by BigMan »

Eliascreate wrote:Hello,

I've started to write an ebook about how to create an RTS game like Warcraft III. Do you think people will read it? Should I complete it? I've made one RTS engine in Irrlicht3D and one in Ogre3D both in C++. I've played a lot of RTS games, I want to share my knowledge about how to write your own RTS-engine and RTS games. What do you think?
You have two very broad subjects there. How to code an engine suitable for RTS' and how to make the games play. It's a huge subject matter for one person. Most RTS games are made by huge teams of people with wide ranging skill-sets. You could write a book just on the game design aspects of RTS games alone. Personally, I would split them out or even write a number of e-articles about specific issues related to each so that people can read the areas that interest them most.

Writing as someone who has worked on many commercial RTS and strategy games over the years, I would be interested in hearing more about what your experience is in the field. What are the games you have made? What do your engines look like?