Help choose Gaming Laptop MSI vs ASUS

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Help choose Gaming Laptop MSI vs ASUS

Post by NotCamelCase »

Hi guys,

I can't decide which gaming laptop to choose so I really appreciate if any current/ex users of these laptops or brands let me know their suggestions.

One is ASUS G751JT-T7010H and the other is MSI GE72 6QF(Apache Pro)-019XPL. They have extremely similar features, except MSI having Skylake and Asus w/ Win 8 + 35 euro cheaper. I heard bad stories about MSI from my friends so I don't know if I'll be gambling with MSI.
Check out my projects: https://github.com/NotCamelCase
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: Help choose Gaming Laptop MSI vs ASUS

Post by Kojack »

I like Clevo laptops. They are resold under the brand names Metabox, Horize, Sager and others.
Clevos are highly configurable, you can usually choose most of the parts yourself (and even replace/upgrade some parts yourself too).

I have one (Metabox P770ZM) that has a 4GHz 4790k desktop cpu and a 980m gpu.

They are large and heavy, but that's the price of configurability.
Daixiwen
Greenskin

Post by Daixiwen »

I have a MSI GE60 since 2013 and I'm quite happy with it. I've upgraded it with two mSata SSD drives and it's really fast.
The only two problems I have with is are the trackpad that doesn't feel nice and seems to be of very low quality (but I mostly use a mouse anyway) and the fan that suddenly started making a lot of noise last year. I had to order a replacement part on ebay.
Hardware, n.: part of the computer you can kick
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

@Kojack
Oh I didn't know Clevo offers such configurability, thanks! I'd for sure love 980M but it pulls the price quite up compared to 970M so I'll probably stick with it.

@Daixiwen
Congrats, you're the first person I talked to that was content with their MSI :D Maybe I'm tricked by online marketing but so far ASUS seems to be the better choice.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I can't vouch on either company never had a machine from them.

If we are going on specs the MSI is the better machine. Faster CPU (not a huge amount) and better wifi card. Also it's 0.9Kg lighter (don't know if you use it on your knee a lot or carry it around it's defiantly something to consider). Possible down side though it has no operating system so that will cost you extra if you need windows.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

I don't really care about the weight or size as I'm gonna use it like a desktop most of the time anyways. Yeah MSI is slightly better than ASUS although unless I go with Clevo custom configuration, I'll choose ASUS over MSI for the sake of pre-installed Windows and slight price different with which I can get another 8 GB RAM later on.

For now, for the same price of MSI, Clevo config offers me 6 GB Nvidia 970M so I have more options to be undecided about :lol:
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I also missed that the MSI is using DDR 4 the ASUS is DDR 3 so I would defiantly got more to the MSI

A clevo might be the better option if your getting a similar price and spec. Try for a 980M if you can http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-980 ... e-GTX-970M :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

Huh I'd so love to have it!! :shock: But the price is going up so fast once you add 980M :/ I think 970M is great for a mid-term laptop. OTOH I can't wait any longer to play games dammit!!! :D
Herb
Orc

Post by Herb »

I have a ASUS with a higher end nvidia and it's very slim and works well. I did swap out for a solid state drive, but otherwise it's stock. Never had a MSI laptop, but always liked their PC motherboards. :wink:

Only complaint on the ASUS (which I don't think you care about), is some bad driver support for Linux. Usually ASUS is fairly good, but my laptop has issues with Ubuntu initializing USB on the first boot consistently and also touchpad use can freeze the screen (using a USB mouse fixes that). But, if you're a Windows man, you should be fine.
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

Herb wrote:I have a ASUS with a higher end nvidia and it's very slim and works well. I did swap out for a solid state drive, but otherwise it's stock. Never had a MSI laptop, but always liked their PC motherboards. :wink:
Only complaint on the ASUS (which I don't think you care about), is some bad driver support for Linux. Usually ASUS is fairly good, but my laptop has issues with Ubuntu initializing USB on the first boot consistently and also touchpad use can freeze the screen (using a USB mouse fixes that). But, if you're a Windows man, you should be fine.
Thanks for your input! Yeah it'll be running Windows due to gaming but I might need Linux for work occasionally so good to know that.

Out of topic, I just started using Linux at work and all of a sudden all bad memories of mine related to the driver and setup issues from 5 years ago resurfaced! I know a bit about computers so I could solve them without much struggling but I can't still get how an average user would ever use it (Ubuntu at least) stably even if it's 2016.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

NotCamelCase wrote:Huh I'd so love to have it!! :shock: But the price is going up so fast once you add 980M :/ I think 970M is great for a mid-term laptop. OTOH I can't wait any longer to play games dammit!!! :D
Personally I'd save a bit more :) but if you have a limit then get the best config you can. For instance getting a SSD isn't necessary you can swap to one in the future for instance but swapping the GPU is basically a no go usually.(trying to get the part is a nightmare) what is the config on the clevo you used?
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

Zonder wrote:
NotCamelCase wrote:Huh I'd so love to have it!! :shock: But the price is going up so fast once you add 980M :/ I think 970M is great for a mid-term laptop. OTOH I can't wait any longer to play games dammit!!! :D
Personally I'd save a bit more :) but if you have a limit then get the best config you can. For instance getting a SSD isn't necessary you can swap to one in the future for instance but swapping the GPU is basically a no go usually.(trying to get the part is a nightmare) what is the config on the clevo you used?
I don't really want to pay that much for a laptop though. :roll: For a desktop, I'd certainly but I believe a laptop can get outdated quickly in terms of modern games in high quality.

Clevo config is almost identical to that of MSI except a 6 GB 970M so I may just stick to the cheaper ASUS adding an SSD and 8 GB RAM.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

NotCamelCase wrote:
Zonder wrote:
I don't really want to pay that much for a laptop though. :roll: For a desktop, I'd certainly but I believe a laptop can get outdated quickly in terms of modern games in high quality.

Clevo config is almost identical to that of MSI except a 6 GB 970M so I may just stick to the cheaper ASUS adding an SSD and 8 GB RAM.
Yes laptops out date quickly, but saying that my laptop from 2010 still works well on windows 10 as a dev machine. (business laptop so was never for gaming)

I would hope the laptop would last you about 3 years with the spec your getting will of course start to lower quality settings as the year go on :)
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

OK, I just ordered MSI with Skylake & 970M! Couldn't trust the local Clevo provider here :roll: I'll hopefully have no trouble with MSI, it has better support at least.
Zonder wrote: Yes laptops out date quickly, but saying that my laptop from 2010 still works well on windows 10 as a dev machine. (business laptop so was never for gaming)

I would hope the laptop would last you about 3 years with the spec your getting will of course start to lower quality settings as the year go on :)
We'll see about that but 3 years for a gaming laptop is quite OK so I'll be happy if it turns out to be that way :D
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

NotCamelCase wrote:OK, I just ordered MSI with Skylake & 970M! Couldn't trust the local Clevo provider here :roll: I'll hopefully have no trouble with MSI, it has better support at least.
Zonder wrote: Yes laptops out date quickly, but saying that my laptop from 2010 still works well on windows 10 as a dev machine. (business laptop so was never for gaming)

We'll see about that but 3 years for a gaming laptop is quite OK so I'll be happy if it turns out to be that way :D
Let us all know how it is handy to get unbiased feed back on stuff :)
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

I never quite understood the appeal of gaming laptops. Never buy a laptop specifically labeled for "gaming." As you'll be overpaying for the hardware, much like buying an apple.

Instead, figure out what specs you want, then look for "professional" or "mainstream" laptops with the same hardware. In most cases you can shave off a few % the price. (Bonus is finding a model with the CPU/GPU/Screen you want but only comes with 4gb of ram even though the Mobo supports more... That's a free $20 per stick by buying yourself and throwing it in.

In anyevent, I buy what's on sale. A8-6400 (base cpu in a PS4) 4gb of ram, $260, and can handle Crusader Kings II, my game, and even BF4 on low settings.... For anyone else out there, If you can find an A10 Carrizo APU for under $600, that will give you a pretty damn good 720 "gaming" (and 4k video) laptop. Without paying the Intel margin or for extra hardware (dedicated VG card.) Although if you do anything that requires CPU (like programming) it's best to avoid AMD until Zen....
abbotte
Gnoblar

Post by abbotte »

Asus makes a very good laptop.Their ROG line is meant for gaming.
abbotte
Gnoblar

Post by abbotte »