Anyone going for the new vega?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Anyone going for the new vega?

Post by Zonder »

I can't make my mind up :S will all come down to price I guess.

I don't need an update but I always intended to make my system pure AMD when they released somthing decentish.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: Anyone going for the new vega?

Post by EricB »

Get the disclosure out of the way first: I hold a significant amount of shares in AMD.

I'm personally on the fence about it as well. It really comes down to what you currently have, what you want to do, and what you plan on spending. I plan on building a Threadripper machine at the end of the year. (Current dev box is a decade old now.) It looks like Vega64 is going to come out at around 1080 performance +/- a few percent. I would imagine AMD is going to give you the most bang for the buck for <$500, and if you plan on using next gen APIs (Vulcan, DX12, etc).

Me personally, I haven't bought an Nvidia GPU in 15 years. But I'm leaning toward a 1070 due to FreeBSD drivers. (AMD is only supported up to HD7770.) If I already had a 980ti, Fury, rx480, rx580, or 1060+, I wouldn't bother looking at any GPU right now. Disregarding FBSD drivers, I would consider the Vega56 or low end Vega64 if they're cheaper than 1070 and 1080 respectively but provide the same level of performance. IE, wait for benchmarks.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

I haven't looked into it much yet, I already have a GTX1080. :)

I am planning on making a threadripper (16 core version, 1950x or whatever) box when it comes out.
insider
Orc

Post by insider »

AMD does have a fancy naming scheme, so dude what's your processor it's an AMD Ryzen Threadripper ! and what's yours err it's an i9 :lol:
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

My reason for updating is to get a peformance increase I currently have a GTX770 so the new vega should double my peformance.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I decided to hold off to see if there is a price war and also to see what other varients come out going to give it a month and reeveluate again :D

Did anyone else get one?