Potential Security Breach

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Potential Security Breach

Post by Zonder »

I've recieved an email containing the password I use on this forum and It's unique to this site.

It's the usual scam spam thing trying to extract cash but it does give a date on the email 03/08/2018.

But they have obtained the password which is unique to this site so either there is a breach on here or hardware going to this site ormy end :shrug:

I have of course checked all the machines I access this site from and all check out fine.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Potential Security Breach

Post by paroj »

was it a weak password? I october there was a what I thought DDoS on the forums, but maybe it was just brute-force db based hacking.

Also before the forums got updated last year, we were running an ancient phpbb version. I will investigate further.

Does https://haveibeenpwned.com/ give you any hints where your data might come from?
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Re: Potential Security Breach

Post by Zonder »

Ah good news!

Says it was an adobe breach and I just checked I have indeed reused the password.

I try to keep them unique but must have failed this time and it was the same between these 2. I use last pass now but thats a recent thing and i've not updated here to use it yet this been one of my oldest accounts :mrgreen:

Glad it's a false alarm :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...