use billboardset for vegetation

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Niubbo
Goblin

use billboardset for vegetation

Post by Niubbo »

Ogre Version: 1.12.8
Operating System: win10
Render System: dx11

Hi, i'm trying to use billboardset for a massive vegetation creation. I have some questions\requests of confirmation to ask:

- because is not possibile sort billiboards of different sets is better have all the tree types in a single dds file already with the correct scale in order to have manage all with a single sets. Is correct? Also using two sets I found the billboards of two different sets from the prospective point of view seems to move.

- what is the better type of orientation to use for vegetation? Being static object oriented self is a good choice?

- I set individual culling and max rendering distance of 2000 (i tried also lower distance), but the billboards continue to appear ; perhaps I'm making some error. the distance is between the camera and the billboardset location or it considers the distance from the single billboard?

- I setup setCameraRelativeRendering to true, is the best setting in order to visualize a so large billboardset?

thanks.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: use billboardset for vegetation

Post by paroj »

Niubbo wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 am - because is not possibile sort billiboards of different sets is better have all the tree types in a single dds file already with the correct scale in order to have manage all with a single sets. Is correct? Also using two sets I found the billboards of two different sets from the prospective point of view seems to move.
not sure what you mean here.
Niubbo wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 am - I set individual culling and max rendering distance of 2000 (i tried also lower distance), but the billboards continue to appear ; perhaps I'm making some error. the distance is between the camera and the billboardset location or it considers the distance from the single billboard?
the individual billboards will be culled. Maybe this breaks with camera relative rendering.

Niubbo wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 am - I setup setCameraRelativeRendering to true, is the best setting in order to visualize a so large billboardset?
Camera relative rendering only helps if your camera can get really far away from origin. (e.g. huge world)

While Billboards should work for vegatation, I would generally rather suggest to use static geometry for this:
https://codedocs.xyz/OGRECave/ogre/tut_ ... _geom.html
Niubbo
Goblin

Post by Niubbo »

Hi Paroj

>not sure what you mean here.<

Sorry I was not clear: for the test I created one billboardset for each tree image; the billboardset are all placed to the point zero and the billboards all around a big map. Activating the sorting enable the billboards of the same set respect the depth facing the camera but not when they're of different sets (so I have farther images which are rendered near respect near images).

In addition I noticed that moving ahead at ground level with the camera but observing the flanks the different images of different sets seems to change positions; probably a strange perspective effect.

>While Billboards should work for vegatation, I would generally rather suggest to use static geometry for this:<

Yes is my next test, but I wanted to give a try with the billboardset first. From the high they look good and the performance are very good but probably the static geometry has more advantage. thanks
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

Hello,

Have you heard of PagedGeometry?

Seems similar to what you are trying to accomplish.

Description: Real-time rendering of massive, dense forests, with not only trees, but bushes, grass, rocks, and other "clutter".
Supports dynamic transitioned -LOD between batched geometry and static impostors (extendable).

https://wiki.ogre3d.org/PagedGeometry+Engine
Niubbo
Goblin

Post by Niubbo »

Thanks Sercero, yes I know it, it is on my checklist to try.

Another problem I'm facing, but I dont think is due to billboard, is that moving at ground level, the texture of terrain seems move faster that the billboard sprite approach to the camera, giving the effect of a tapis roulant under the trees.
suny
Greenskin

Post by suny »

Another problem I'm facing, but I dont think is due to billboard, is that moving at ground level, the texture of terrain seems move faster that the billboard sprite approach to the camera, giving the effect of a tapis roulant under the trees.
Maybe check the position of your billboards: if the billboard bottom is not perfectly at the ground position the parallax will create this kind of issue.
Niubbo
Goblin

Post by Niubbo »

Yes, is something like this, I suppose but also the textures of the ground were overstretched; increasing the worldsize parameter the effect is reduced.