wich IDE/Compiler/etc. do you use?

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
ShinyRayquaza
Gnoblar

wich IDE/Compiler/etc. do you use?

Post by ShinyRayquaza »

the question is in the title.

i would like to know wich IDE the most use and then i choose wich i will use.

so... can you tell me your experiences with the different IDE's?
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

I think most of the Windows users, including me; use Visual Studio 2005 Express. It's free and Ogre works perfectly with it.
ShinyRayquaza
Gnoblar

Post by ShinyRayquaza »

do you use the visual c++ IDE or with an other IDE, like Code::blocks or something else?
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

While you *can* use the MSVC compilier with another IDE, why would you? Use the Visual Studio IDE and get on with your coding. I have to confess, I don't know why you are agonizing over this -- it seems you have an actual 'other question' that you are not asking here.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
ShinyRayquaza
Gnoblar

Post by ShinyRayquaza »

xavier wrote:While you *can* use the MSVC compilier with another IDE, why would you? Use the Visual Studio IDE and get on with your coding. I have to confess, I don't know why you are agonizing over this -- it seems you have an actual 'other question' that you are not asking here.
i have no other question...
i asked for the IDE because in the wiki is a tutorial with setting up visual c++ with code::blocks... so i wanted to know wich would be better.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

They are using the Codeblock IDE with the Visual++ C compiler. Not the Visual++ C IDE. The person obviously prefers the Codeblocks IDE but wants to use the VC compiler. Personally, when on Windows, I prefer Visual Studio. (A friend bought the full version for me for helping him with a project. I'd use the free one otherwise, as they aren't that much different.)

On Linux, I use the KDevelop IDE.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

ShinyRayquaza wrote:
xavier wrote:While you *can* use the MSVC compilier with another IDE, why would you? Use the Visual Studio IDE and get on with your coding. I have to confess, I don't know why you are agonizing over this -- it seems you have an actual 'other question' that you are not asking here.
i have no other question...
i asked for the IDE because in the wiki is a tutorial with setting up visual c++ with code::blocks... so i wanted to know wich would be better.
You'll also find instructions (or at least a link to the MSDN instructions) on properly setting up the Express version of Visual C++ 2005. Most of the people on this forum who develop on Windows use some version of Visual C++ (including the Project Team)...either Visual C++ 8 (2005) -- this is the "preferred" version now -- or Visual C++ 7.1 (2003).

For free, as mentioned, the Visual C++ 2005 Express works just fine. I personally use Visual Studio 2005 Standard (retail) but I got that free as well from watching some webcast thing a few months ago.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
oddrose
Orc

Post by oddrose »

sorry if this is an old topic to drag up...but i must ask...

do you, (like with Visual Studio 2005) have to send an .msi with redistributable files with your application if you are using codeBlocks?
Project5
Goblin

Post by Project5 »

You don't need to send a redistributable with VC 2005 if you build your app with manifests set to allow isolation. Look on msdn for 'deploying using xcopy'.

--Ben
FlightOfHallu
Halfling

Post by FlightOfHallu »

I use Emacs 22.1.1 along with ECB code browser. I like it because I can use ECB to mange code browsing, while still giving me that emacy-ness that I love so much.

Lately I've been thinking about using Eclipse, but I'm too lazy to set it up right now.

Before completely switching over to Linux I ran VC 6.0. This was 4 years ago, when I first started university. Somewhere along the line I turned into a give me Linux or give me death guy... Hmm yeah, how did that happen?

Let's wait for the VIM guy to show up and scare all of us out of the room with his crazy VIM-fu.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

To answer you question:

You need to distribute mingwm10.dll with your application. And that's it.
Except for the Ogre DLLs, of course. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

If you're using the Ogre C::B SDK, you can find the DLL in the bin directory.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
oddrose
Orc

Post by oddrose »

Project5 wrote:You don't need to send a redistributable with VC 2005 if you build your app with manifests set to allow isolation. Look on msdn for 'deploying using xcopy'.

--Ben
Are there any negative sides of this?