Can't get animation from maya to ogre

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
schuck9
Gnoblar

Can't get animation from maya to ogre

Post by schuck9 »

I have a character with skeleton and I can't seem to get animations to work.

It is possible that it is my lack of knowledge of maya itself. Basically I added a keyframe, created a clip, exported to ogre mesh (checked export mesh, export skeleton, and export skeleton animation) but everytime I conver the xml file of the skeleton it says "exporting animations, count 0" and I see no animation section in the skeleton file.

Could someone provide me with a step by step setting up of even an idle animation pose in maya and what is needed to export? thanks
voxel
Gnome

Post by voxel »

The animations are in the .skeleton file...

Typical problems are improper binding (I found the Maya OGRE exporter doesn't like rigid binding) and stuff like using constraints or IK (no real data in the bones).
schuck9
Gnoblar

Post by schuck9 »

Would you happen to have a maya ma or mb file with simple animation so I can prove it is an issue with my model?
voxel
Gnome

Post by voxel »

schuck9 wrote:Would you happen to have a maya ma or mb file with simple animation so I can prove it is an issue with my model?
No... post yours instead.
L5games
Gnoblar

Possibly need more keyframes

Post by L5games »

If you only have one key you can't create a curve. You need at least a key to start an animation and a key to end it.

Ogre can handle constraints and ik no problem as long as you are putting animation curves on rig controllers rather than the actual bones or joints.
L5games
Gnoblar

One more important thing

Post by L5games »

On the exporter scroll down past the clips and you will see a section for animation curves. You need to check this box to get actual animations exported. If you check the box a *.anim file will be created and that has all the animation information. *.skeleton only has the rig setup.

To get a moving character you need the .mesh, .material, .skeleton, and .anim files. You made need others like physics but these are the bare minimum
schuck9
Gnoblar

Post by schuck9 »

ok..here is an example on one I downloaded to test out, but could not get animation from it. thanks for the help.

http://www.highendnet.com/maya/download ... V.0.01.zip
schuck9
Gnoblar

Post by schuck9 »

I am actually doing this for neoaxis, so the anim file is not used (from what I can tell). They do use the skeleton file though. Does that sound right?
L5games
Gnoblar

Post by L5games »

schuck9 wrote:I am actually doing this for neoaxis, so the anim file is not used (from what I can tell). They do use the skeleton file though. Does that sound right?
I've been exporting characters successfully to the Multiverse Engine for the last two weeks. This week I'm using Neoaxis. The ogreExporter for Multiverse is virtually identical to the one for Neoaxis. As far as I can tell you still need to check the Animation Curve box to get animation informatin exported. The .skeleton file contains the joint/rig hierarchy.
schuck9
Gnoblar

Post by schuck9 »

I will try that out...are you able to get animation on that file I linked? If so, how? :)
L5games
Gnoblar

Post by L5games »

schuck9 wrote:I will try that out...are you able to get animation on that file I linked? If so, how? :)
Sorry I did not try to get animation on the file you linked. I do have a question for you. I can not get the Neoaxis version of the 8.5 Maya Ogre exporter to work. The .mll file will not load in the plug in manager so I can only assume that I have an out of date file or the file is just broken. What is the date of your ogreExporter.mll file? Mines is dated 2/6/2007 and it's 684kb.

The Multiverse version of the ogreExporter.mll has a date of 6/3/2007 and it's a smaller file, only 316kb. I can export no problems with this one. It loads into the plug in manager but the Neoaxis version will not. I get an error message saying the application can not load because it is not configured correctly and that I should reinstall. Reinstalls did not fix.
schuck9
Gnoblar

Post by schuck9 »

My exporter plugin is the same date and size as yours. I get the menu option ogre - export. I haven't tried to install the multiverse plugin.. I'll try it out
schuck9
Gnoblar

Post by schuck9 »

Where can I get the multiverse ogre exporter. Couldn't find it on their site. Could you post it? thanks
Prezadent
Gnoblar

Post by Prezadent »

Wow, I finished the tutorial and uploaded it and now I can't connect to NeoAxis site.

Anyway, here is the tutorial. Sorry for the lack of professionalism. Specially the smacking at the beginning, never eat peanut butter before voice recording. :)

http://www.vital3d.com/neoaxis/maya2neoaxis.zip