Tips for a Map-Generator

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Malarkey
Halfling

Tips for a Map-Generator

Post by Malarkey »

Hey guys!

I am wondering how to realise a MapGenerator for a Map, consisting of only geometric shapes and layers. Basically I just need to know how I can automatically create random-shaped X-Z planes and fatten them. My inspiration for the map design is the Game Of Thrones Intro.. I can't express myself as good as I would like to, therefore my english isn't good enough.. The Ogre Procedural Library doesnt work. It always detects some missing stuff in ogreMain.dll whatsoever..

So: Is there a relatively easy way to generate multi-edged boxes without calculating each vertex 'manually'? My idea was creating a 2D-outline and fatten it.. Is this possible
?

Thanks!
Mikachu
Gnoll

Re: Tips for a Map-Generator

Post by Mikachu »

Malarkey wrote:The Ogre Procedural Library doesnt work. It always detects some missing stuff in ogreMain.dll whatsoever..
Really?
I don't which version you tried, but I would advise you building it from source...

Incompatible compiler version, for example, could very well lead to the errors you're facing.
OgreProcedural - Procedural Geometry for Ogre3D
Malarkey
Halfling

Post by Malarkey »

I can include the "Procedural.h" without any erros, but when I use, for example the funciton

Procedural::SphereGenerator().setRadius(5.f).setUTile(.5f).realizeMesh("mySphere");

and hit the debug button, it compiles without any errors but right at the beginning, a Error-Window pops up and says (Its in German language, I translate it as good as I can) "The procedure entry point ??C?$SharedPtr@VMesh@Ogre@@@Ogre@@QBEPAVMESH@1@XZ" was not found in the DLL "OgreMain_d.dll"

Same goes for the release mode with the "OgreMain.dll"...
Malarkey
Halfling

Post by Malarkey »

Maybe because I run Ogre 1.9?
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

Have a look at http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69274. There are binaries for ogre procedural for various combinations of Visual Studio and Ogre.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Malarkey wrote: "The procedure entry point ??C?$SharedPtr@VMesh@Ogre@@@Ogre@@QBEPAVMESH@1@XZ" was not found in the DLL "OgreMain_d.dll"

Same goes for the release mode with the "OgreMain.dll"...
Dude: you have a mixup between what you include and what you link to, and what you run it against.
That is C++ 101 stuff.
You need to totally clean your project, and you need to make sure that you're not accidentally using a different Ogre from what you expect.
That could be old DLLs lying in your run path.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.