[Android] Build sample browser

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

[Android] Build sample browser

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

Hi community!

I cannot do step 7 from this guide:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/CMake+Qu ... on=Android

I have no SampleBrowserNDK subfolder in my OGRE build folder.

Regards, Alexey Knyshev
Voltage Engine - boost your ogre project with realtime physics and interactive scripting!
OgreBullet & CMake - easy to use bullet physics integration.
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Re: [Android] Build sample browser

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

Can anyone help me?
Voltage Engine - boost your ogre project with realtime physics and interactive scripting!
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

There is nobody who develops ogre3d based android apps?
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

I do but I don't use Ogre's build system to develop my own app. It's been a long time since I built the sample browser for any platform.

Anyway, building of the libs and samplebrowser are two totally different things. Why your samplebrowser doesn't build is unknown since we don't know your environment (NDK/SDK version) nor do we see any output from any of your build. Honestly why even build that monster except for lolz and to verify the libs are working? Chances are good you will want to use your native lib via JNI and not a NativeActivity (ultimately both use JNI anyway) so the sample browser is not an example or guide to follow on how to make your app ... more like OgreJNI sample project is your starting point.

EDIT: Oh also you didn't mention which branch of Ogre. If it's v2-1 there's your problem right there
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I wanna to build sample browser because first of all I want to check that everything is ok. I'm using default branch (ought to be 1.10 right now).
I have build JNI, but there is no more then extremely little shared object: libOgreJNIDummy.so
And it really looks like nothing inside it:

Code: Select all

alexey@asus-n56vb:~/dev/src/ogre-1.10/build-android/lib$ nm -g libOgreJNIDummy.so 
00002008 A __bss_start
         U __cxa_atexit
         U __cxa_finalize
00002008 A _edata
00002008 A _end
00002004 D x
How I can build simple apk with just: empty scene + camera + viewport? There is no tutorial, how to do that.
Should I use native activity or Java activity? How can I create RenderWindow on Android.

Thanks and regards, Alexey Knsyhev
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

I came up with one thing. There is AndroidManifest.xml in OgreJNI folder? It seems that I must build it with Android Studio (gradle). Is there way to code only in C++?
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

OK good I'm using v1-10 (aka default) right now also. I don't use android studio or eclipse or any IDE for building on android, so you don't have to if you don't want. You should be able to update the OgreJNI project from the command line (using android cli), and then use ndk-build, and then package it into an APK w/ ant. OgreJNI is literally what you just described ... renderwindow + viewport + camera and that's it. It doesn't even process input ... you have to hook in native android input events, or another input lib like OIS or SDL

The syntax of android make files has definitely changed (I think my last build of SampleBrowserNDK and OgreJNI was when NDK8 was the thing) but this should describe how to manage a project without eclipse: http://developer.android.com/tools/proj ... dline.html
IIRC it's missing some project files and this will set them up

I'll try a build of v1-10 from mercurial when I get a moment
EDIT: I got a moment and it had some problems finding the AndroidDependencies, so I just passed in WHATEVER_HOME to force the search path for each dep ... no time atm to see why that's an issue or if its just my environment somehow. Make sure you look at your CMake configure output very carefully because I didn't and that's how I ended up with no samplebrowser (OIS not found so samples skipped)
Waboqueox
Gnoblar

Post by Waboqueox »

Hi, I have the same problem with the sample browser, but reading c6burns, I have in mind other question....

I just want to build an apk for a tablet that draws as soon as possible the information obtained with some velodynes LIDAR (sensors).

Tried to do, using ogre in android studio, but after a pair of weeks trying it, and trying to do that tutorial unsuccessfully I have read c6burns that there is other way to develop apps for android using ogre.

¿Can someone tell me how to do it? ¿There is another alternative to Ogre for this case?

Thanks!
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »