[SOLVED] Ogre tutorials: no input and cannot close window

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Midkar
Gnoblar

[SOLVED] Ogre tutorials: no input and cannot close window

Post by Midkar »

Hi, I am trying to run Ogre on Ubuntu 16.04 and tried both building from the OGRE 1.11.0 source and from Sinbad bitbucket (this is the one I am currently using, but I encountered the same problems on the other version) and I installed all dependencies from their repos.

Although I can build the "BasicTutorial" examples with no errors (directly with CMake or with an IDE such as Code::Blocks) and running them shows me the various scenes (Sinbad Ogre, Ogre Faces, ...) the window created does not respond to any input (it should close on hitting "esc" from what I understand, and I tried adding some simple console output on other keys) and the system "exit" button on the window does not close it, I am forced to kill the process from terminal every time.

I browsed the forum but most answers I found for input problems mostly revolved around OIS, and I think that is not used in those tutorials, but I tried getting OIS from a few different sources before noticing and it did not change anything in the end.

If anybody has any idea where the problem could originate from I'd be grateful to hear it, since I do not know what could I try next to fix it.

Thanks, Midkar.
Last edited by Midkar on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Ogre tutorials: no input and cannot close window

Post by paroj »

verify that Ogre is built with SDL2 support.

if you see these lines, it is not:
https://travis-ci.org/OGRECave/ogre/job ... 1352-L1355
Midkar
Gnoblar

Re: Ogre tutorials: no input and cannot close window

Post by Midkar »

OGRE has been build with SDL2 2.0.2 version form Ubuntu repositories (sudo apt-get install libsdl2-dev) as
suggested by the official "Guide to building OGRE", but the input was not working.

Now, after building and installing SDL2 2.0.8 from sources and rebuilding OGRE, everything works fine.

Thanks you very much paroj.