DDS Volume Heightmap import/export

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
saintnick
Halfling

DDS Volume Heightmap import/export

Post by saintnick »

I have read on the forums of people using Gimp to make dds files for Ogre. Using Gimp 2.8 and gimp-dds from https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/ I was able to export to this format. However Ogre crashed when trying to load the file on line 104 of OgreVolumeTextureSource.

Steps I took:
1. Create a new 384x384 pixel file
2. Fill it with a shade of grey
3. Export as dds.
4. Crash in Ogre when loading file.

The export function has many options including Compression, Format, Mipmaps. I have tried several combinations of configuration options but all have failed.

Then I tried to import volumeterrainbig.dds which is included as the example for Ogre. It failed as well citing "Unsupported format (FOURCC: r".

If anyone has a working content creation pipeline for Volume terrains please share your experiences.
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: DDS Volume Heightmap import/export

Post by xrgo »

I use Nvidia's texture tools for Photoshop, lets say I want my texture to be 16x16x16.. I make an horizontal strip of 256x16, I think values has to be pow2 (maybe depending on compression used), then save as volume.
Not sure why it crashes with a texture that comes with ogre.
you forgot to mention which version of Ogre you're using
saintnick
Halfling

Re: DDS Volume Heightmap import/export

Post by saintnick »

Ogre version: 1.12

I have downloaded and installed https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-normalmap/. I applied a default normalmap filter to my dds. Exported this and my Ogre application now runs instead of crashing but nothing is displayed.

I just had the thought that maybe the grey color I am using isn't in my cameras view. I wanted to import the texture that comes with Ogre's volume component so I could sample a grey color. However as I stated Gimp fails to import the volumeterrainbig.dds.

I was about to buy photoshop but it is a monthly license now. I don't see my self renting any kind of software in the future.