[2.1] Checking for Shadow Mapping support?

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Kaylx
Greenskin

[2.1] Checking for Shadow Mapping support?

Post by Kaylx » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:54 am

Hey peeps,

I'm wondering what the best way is to check for shadow mapping support in 2.1 regardless of render system?
I was hoping to use RenderSystemCapabilities or something else but i don't know what to check to be honest.

For background we have several users on Direct3D but shadows only work for those with a feature level of 11 or more.
I want to disable shadows if they are not supported and I don't want to link to the Direct3D render system just to check the feature level, plus we have OpenGL and Metal users to consider as well.

Regards,
Kaylx
0 x

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [2.1] Checking for Shadow Mapping support?

Post by dark_sylinc » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi!

Shadow mapping is supported in all of our targetted platforms and hardware. If shadows are not working in a particular HW it could be a bug in our code or in the driver's.

A particular case is ESM shadow mapping which uses compute shaders for fast large-kernel filtering, but we provide a fallback for GPUs which don't support compute shaders as shown in ShadowMapDebuggingGameState::chooseEsmShadowNode sample.
0 x

Kaylx
Greenskin

Post by Kaylx » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 am

Hi Matias,

We use ESM shadow mapping as it gives the best results in our scenario and check for RSC_COMPUTE_PROGRAM just like the sample code does.

Our shadow compositor setup was taken straight from ShadowMapDebugging.compositor (i.e. ShadowMapDebuggingEsmShadowNodeBase, ShadowMapDebuggingEsmShadowNodeCompute, ShadowMapDebuggingEsmShadowNodePixelShader).

As for whether it's an Ogre issue or Driver issue I don't know, but here's the error:

Code: Select all

OGRE EXCEPTION(-2147024809:RenderingAPIException): Error creating texture
Error Description:invalid parameters were passed.
ID3D11Device::CreateTexture2D: D3D11_BIND_UNORDERED_ACCESS for Texture2D is only available on feature levels greater or equal to D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0.
ID3D11Device::CreateTexture2D: The format (0x38, R16_UNORM) cannot be bound as an UnorderedAccessView, or cast to a format that could be bound as an UnorderedAccessView.  Therefore this format does not support D3D11_BIND_UNORDERED_ACCESS.
ID3D11Device::CreateTexture2D: Returning E_INVALIDARG, meaning invalid parameters were passed.
 in D3D11Texture::_create2DTex at ...\3rdparty\ogre\2.1\src\rendersystems\direct3d11\src\ogred3d11texture.cpp (line 698)
I'm going to take an educated guess and say it has something to do with the atlas and tmpGaussianFilter textures being marked as uav lol.

Regards,
Kaylx
0 x

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:59 pm

Oh yeah, that sounds like a bug.

I will check running with Feature Level 10 to see if this can be repro'ed. We should not create an UAV texture in the fallback path.
0 x

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 pm

I took a quick look and indeed we're creating UAV textures when we shouldn't.

Additionally, RSC_COMPUTE_PROGRAM was being set in FL 10, which is wrong. That has been fixed.

Only remains to strip the UAV flag from textures in the fallback path.
0 x

Kaylx
Greenskin

Post by Kaylx » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks for looking into it so quicky. :)

I shall keep an eye out for the uav fallback fix then try a new build out.
0 x