Mesh memory leak

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
jhwangbo
Gnoblar

Mesh memory leak

Post by jhwangbo »

Ogre Version: :1.11.5:
Operating System: :Ubuntu 16.04/18.04:
Render System: :opengl:

I have an application where I have to delete and recreate meshes frequently. I am using OgreAssimp to create a mesh. I also create mesh manually in a few places. The app was getting slower and slower over time. After running valgrind on a very simplified version, I noticed that there is an issue in OgreMesh.cpp. When Mesh is destructed, the destructor is called correctly (tested with a simple cout). However, Mesh::unloadImpl is not called. This causes all the sub-mesh resources to be leaked every time I destroy a mesh.

I heard v1.11.6 has many bug fixes so I want to migrate to v1.11.6. but there OgreImgui is not working properly. It complains that EndFrame() or Render() is not called.
jhwangbo
Gnoblar

Re: Mesh memory leak

Post by jhwangbo »

update. adding unloadImpl() in the destructor directly solved the memory leaks related to OgreMesh.cpp. But this is a hack. I would like to have a proper solution...

OgreImgui works in v1.11.6 (not sure what I did last time). but the memory leak persists in v1.11.6
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

~Mesh() calls Resource::unload() which should call Mesh::unloadImpl(). Can you debug why this breaks?
jhwangbo
Gnoblar

Post by jhwangbo »

I figured out that it doesn't pass this line in Resource::unload(void) (OgreResource.cpp)

Code: Select all

if (old!=LOADSTATE_LOADED && old!=LOADSTATE_PREPARED) return;
mLoadingState is set to unloaded. So I checked its creation and found that the Mesh doesn't call Resource::load(bool background) at all. The meshes that I create manually seem fine. They call load() properly. But the ones created by OgreAssimp don't call them. I added these lines in OgreAssimp.cpp and it seems like the memory leak is gone now (apart from the stb_img issue that I am also investigating).

Code: Select all

for(auto mesh: mMeshes)
   mesh->load();
Is this a bug in OgreAssimp? Where this should be called?
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

yes, this is a bug in OgreAssimp. load() should be called after the mesh is loaded, see:
https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre/blob/m ... #L804-L833