Building with Python bindings freezes

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
jlm
Gnoblar

Building with Python bindings freezes

Post by jlm » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:38 pm

Ogre Version:1.12
Operating System:Linux

I'm trying to build Ogre 1.12 from source. I'm using a Windows 10 machine but I'm trying to build it in Docker, so I'm effectively building in Linux (Debian). Up until the point where it attempts to build Python, everything seems to run okay. I do get all the warnings shown up until that point on this page (lines 2059 - 2596), but according to this it seems as though that's fine, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Then, once I start building OgrePYTHON_wrap this error output is printed, and then the build freezes. I've made sure that I have SWIG installed and I'm pretty sure it's version 3 (though I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to check that for certain since I'm new to Docker as well). I don't really know what else to try. Any thoughts? Thanks!
0 x

paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Building with Python bindings freezes

Post by paroj » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:46 am

building the SWIG modules is pretty slow. On my Ubuntu machine with 32GB RAM and without any emulation it takes about 2min to compile OgrePYTHON_wrap.cpp. Probably you have just to wait longer..
0 x

jlm
Gnoblar

Re: Building with Python bindings freezes

Post by jlm » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:05 am

Thanks for the response! I tried running again, and after probably 30min-1hr got this output (after getting the entire error output I posted above):

Code: Select all

/app/ogre_build/Components/Python/CMakeFiles/_Ogre.dir/OgrePYTHON_wrap.cxx: In function ‘void SWIG_Python_addvarlink(PyObject*, char*, PyObject* (*)(), int (*)(PyObject*))’:
/app/ogre_build/Components/Python/CMakeFiles/_Ogre.dir/OgrePYTHON_wrap.cxx:585321: warning: ‘char* strncpy(char*, const char*, size_t)’ specified bound depends on the length of the source argument [-Wstringop-overflow=]
         strncpy(gv->name,name,size);

/app/ogre_build/Components/Python/CMakeFiles/_Ogre.dir/OgrePYTHON_wrap.cxx:585318: note: length computed here
       size_t size = strlen(name)+1;

c++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [Components/Python/CMakeFiles/_Ogre.dir/build.make:63: Components/Python/CMakeFiles/_Ogre.dir/CMakeFiles/_Ogre.dir/OgrePYTHON_wrap.cxx.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1642: Components/Python/CMakeFiles/_Ogre.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2
The command '/bin/sh -c ./ogre_install.sh' returned a non-zero code: 2
It seems very similar to the error output here, though I might be mistaken. The only other possible lead I've been able to find is that the line:

Code: Select all

c++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus
may be related to running out of memory. However, I have no memory constraints imposed on the docker image and it looks like the build is barely even using any RAM anyway (from looking at the task manager). I'm at a loss; any ideas? Thanks!
0 x