[2.1] Is it possible to have PBS diffuse without a diffuse map?

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
mrmclovin
Gnome

[2.1] Is it possible to have PBS diffuse without a diffuse map?

Post by mrmclovin »

Ogre Version: 2.1 :?:
Operating System: Macos :?:
Render System: Metal :?:

I'm having the following material for my simple mesh t(hat just have verts and normals defnied):

Code: Select all

[...] 

"pbs": {
    "SpaceShip_TopCone": {
      "diffuse" :
      {
          "value" : [0.682352, 0.247, 0.07843]
        }
    },
    }

[...]

But my model keeps being blank. I can confirm the material is assigned since when I remove the defintion in my material file, Ogre complains about it cannot find this material.

Is it even possible to have a diffuse color without having a diffuse map and UV coords?
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [2.1] Is it possible to have PBS diffuse without a diffuse map?

Post by dark_sylinc »

Yes, we do support diffuse without diffuse map, and that alone should work.

I suspect you could be having a very high roughness combined with high specular (thus you would be looking mostly at the specular colour), or you have metalness at a very high value, or fresnel coeff at a very low value (or high? I can't remember which one was which about fresnel coeff).

Alternatively your light may be so bright that it's overflowing to white, but I doubt this is the case.
mrmclovin
Gnome

Re: [2.1] Is it possible to have PBS diffuse without a diffuse map?

Post by mrmclovin »

dark_sylinc wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:34 pm Yes, we do support diffuse without diffuse map, and that alone should work.

I suspect you could be having a very high roughness combined with high specular (thus you would be looking mostly at the specular colour), or you have metalness at a very high value, or fresnel coeff at a very low value (or high? I can't remember which one was which about fresnel coeff).

Alternatively your light may be so bright that it's overflowing to white, but I doubt this is the case.
Thanks. The error was that I had misunderstood what material I actually had assigned - hence some confusing and unexpected behaviour. Your answer helped me narrow it down though!