problem with MyGui Tools with Ogre

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Niubbo
Goblin

problem with MyGui Tools with Ogre

Post by Niubbo »

Ogre Version: 1.12.8
Operating System: win10
Render System: dx11

I'm testing MyGui integration with Ogre; I followed the various tutorials and it works fine; but I have a problem with the tools editors of MyGui; it seems the base manager code under common used by these application uses a resourcegroup "MyGuiResourceGroup" for the editors locations at place of "general" and it ignores the resource.cfg file "general" path, but ogreplatform later search under "general" group the required resources for the editors, missing them. Only if in debug I force the variable mAllGroups to true (automatically set on ogredatamanager only if the Ogre::ResourceGroupManager::AUTODETECT_RESOURCE_GROUP_NAME is equal to "General" ) the editor is loaded.

Perhaps I miss something.
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: problem with MyGui Tools with Ogre

Post by sercero »

This might be a bug, why don't you report your findings to the MyGUI team?

The code regarding resource group management in MyGUI has changed recently.

https://github.com/MyGUI/mygui
Pellaeon
Goblin

Post by Pellaeon »

I would strongly suggest you to think about using imgui instead of mygui. mygui isn't really maintained anymore.
Niubbo
Goblin

Post by Niubbo »

sercero wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:10 am This might be a bug, why don't you report your findings to the MyGUI team?

The code regarding resource group management in MyGUI has changed recently.

https://github.com/MyGUI/mygui
thanks I'll write to them
Niubbo
Goblin

Post by Niubbo »

Pellaeon wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:59 pm I would strongly suggest you to think about using imgui instead of mygui. mygui isn't really maintained anymore.
well is only experimental coding for the moment in Ogre, I'm playing from an original code done using a previous version of MyGUI so I don't want put effort to learn a new gui system in this moment.
mygui isn't really maintained anymore.
But the code in gittub seems updated also recently and the 3.4.0 just released last year february
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by sercero »

Pellaeon wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:59 pm I would strongly suggest you to think about using imgui instead of mygui. mygui isn't really maintained anymore.
MyGUI is being actively maintained by Altren.

There were some compatibility problems with the latest OGRE 1.12, but they have been solved.

The problem with ImGUI is that is it mostly useful for tooling, for game UI in my opinion MyGUI is better.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

IMGUI is a great tool but I don't find that I can use it for a GUI also.
suny
Greenskin

Post by suny »

I love MyGUI.

All the UI of my project is done with it:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=81299

And Altren is always answering questions on Github, so don't hesitate to ask!
S.
Pellaeon
Goblin

Post by Pellaeon »

We used MyGUI for several years. But there were problems beginning with a specific Ogre version (didn't remember the exact version number). Widgets weren't rendered. We had different behaviour between OpenGL and DirectX renderer in Ogre. And there was one single developer, which maintained some small pieces, but very unsteady. So we decided to switch to imgui, which is nativly supported by Ogre.

Of course, the approach of imgui is different compared to MyGUI and we had some work with reprogramming GUI parts. But it worked out fine. So I stay with my hint: use imgui instead of MyGUI. Much better maintained, much more widgets available, and nativly supported by the Ogre SDK.