[solved] Manage trimmed texture frame from texture sheet

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Niubbo
Goblin

[solved] Manage trimmed texture frame from texture sheet

Post by Niubbo »

Ogre Version: 1.12.8
Operating System: win10
Render System: dx9

I want manage in a quad (manual object) of fixed dimension, frames coming from a texture sheet. The frames are trimmed in the sheet, so each of them has an offset of center respect the original prepack dimension of frame (this last identical to the fixed dimension used in the quad). So when I apply the material to the quad i want the center of material applies this offset respect the center of quad. Is there a way to do this (so to keep the quad to his fixed dimension without follow the dimension of trimmed frame)? thanks
Last edited by Niubbo on Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: Manage trimmed texture frame from texture sheet

Post by sercero »

It is difficult to understand what you are saying.

Can you show some pictures or mock screen captures of what you want?

It seems to me that you want to change the displacement of a texture, so that would entail manipulating the UVs.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Niubbo
Goblin

Post by Niubbo »

essentially the problem is that one described here: https://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=12065.0

in SFML they solved with a command setorigin in order to define the real center of texture. I wonder if in Ogre there's a better solution that changes the vertex positions. I cannot work directly with the untrimmed dimension of sprite because some of them must be rendered overlapped with others and have different untrimmed dimensions.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

I think you need to read-up texture mapping. e.g. here: https://www.opengl-tutorial.org/beginne ... ured-cube/

Also, there is a Ogre Test that likely does what you are aiming at:
https://ogrecave.github.io/ogre/vtests1 ... tureCoords
Niubbo
Goblin

Post by Niubbo »

Thanks Paroj, but I don't think mine is the same case of this Ogre Test. I suppose to work with vertex is the only solution. I'll return with more details after my tests. thanks.
Niubbo
Goblin

Post by Niubbo »

Just to specify how I solved the thing if can be useful for others using texturepackers sprite:

First the problem nature:

All the sprites have the same not trimmed dimension ex. 300x300 and they overlap perfectly if the square are centered with this dimension, but the image are saved in the texture sheet in trimmed way (all the blank space is cut) with a value of offset representing the distance from the original untrimmed border of new trimmed top\left angle. If I create a quad using vertexes with dimension 300x300 of course the texture image result stretched.

1- I created a manual mesh, a simply quad with two submeshes 1 for layer using the trimmed dimension of texture
2 - in order to manage the offset of trimmed sprite respect the not trimmed image and overlap correctly the two layers, I copied and modified the texture rotation logic of billboardset:

- I calculate the center origin of texture using the same routine of billboard getParametricOffsets
- calculate the rotation axes respect the camera, using the same routine of billboard genAxes
- I modified the original routine of billboard genVertOffsets in this way

Code: Select all

Ogre::Vector3 vLeftOff, vRightOff, vTopOff, vBottomOff;
	/* Calculate default offsets. Scale the axes by
	   parametric offset and dimensions, ready to be added to
	   positions.
	*/

vLeftOff = x * ((inleft * width) - offsetleft);
	vRightOff = x * ((inright * width) - offsetleft);
	vTopOff = y * ((intop * height) + offsettop);
	vBottomOff = y * ((inbottom * height) + offsettop);

// Make final offsets to vertex positions
	pDestVec[0] = vLeftOff + vTopOff;
	pDestVec[1] = vLeftOff + vBottomOff;
	pDestVec[2] = vRightOff + vTopOff;
	pDestVec[3] = vRightOff + vBottomOff;

where width is the trimmed width of image, height the trimmed height of image, offsetleft is the offset of trimmed image from the origina left border and offsettop from the top border; because I used the center origin inleft\inright\intop\inbottom are all or 0.5 or -0.5.

In this way the two layer overlap perfectly in the same position. Now because I want the image is at the ground level with the bottom border
I calculated the half real dimension of height of the base layer, to add to the Y scenenode position, considering also the eventual scale I'm going to apply to the scenenode.

Code: Select all

layerheight = (realdimension.y * mBottomOff) + offsettop;
			layerheight *= -1.0F;
			layerheight *= scale;