iPhone development on Windows

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
Moohasha
Gnoll

iPhone development on Windows

Post by Moohasha »

I didn't see anything on the forums about this so I thought I'd share. I've been interested in developing apps/games for the iPhone, but I'm not cool enough nor rich enough to own a Mac. Today I discovered there are now options to develop iPhone apps...in Windows...in Visual Studio...in C++! I'm currently downloading Airplay which is free if you only use it for iPhone apps and your company makes less than $100K per year. I'm just curious if anyone else has used this software before, and if so, how well it works. If not, I'll try it out over the weekend and post what I think of it.
I doubt the main version of Ogre will work using this software, if for no other reason than not having a RenderSystem for it. I know there's an iPhone Ogre SDK, but it's just for the Mac right? Could parts of that be ripped out to use on Windows possibly? Any other thoughts on this endeavor?
Black holes are where God divided by 0
ejoy2u
Gnoblar

Re: iPhone development on Windows

Post by ejoy2u »

you can use GL rendersystem on windows, I think there is little difference, that's what we are doing now.
Moohasha
Gnoll

Post by Moohasha »

ejoy2u, I'm talking about using Ogre on the iPhone, not Windows. I'm doing my development in Windows, but the target platform is the iPhone.
I checked the AirPlay forums and several people have asked them to support Ogre. Would they just need to develop a RenderSystem that works for the iPhone?
Black holes are where God divided by 0
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Thanks for posting the info on airplay, Moohasha. Another option is to build a hackinstosh (google for it :mrgreen: ). There is a version which allow you to boot everything from a thumb drive so that means you can use your existing pc!

Edit: I think saying thanks is just an understatement - I mean from the first impression Airplay is really good, both product and license. Imagine writing program for many smartphones across platforms.. :D
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
ejoy2u
Gnoblar

Post by ejoy2u »

Moohasha wrote:ejoy2u, I'm talking about using Ogre on the iPhone, not Windows. I'm doing my development in Windows, but the target platform is the iPhone.
I checked the AirPlay forums and several people have asked them to support Ogre. Would they just need to develop a RenderSystem that works for the iPhone?
Yes, I'm talking about make a game on iPhone, but you can do most of the work on windows, then port to iPhone.
I've made the AdvancedOgreFramework running both on windows and iPhone, they are quite the same.
we can use sdktray for UI, OIS multitouch for control( maybe need tuned a little ).

If I am persuaded to use airplay, I have to learn a lot things firstly. :?
If you don't have a mac, maybe osx86 will help you.
Even if you use airplay, I think you can't upload an app to apple without a mac