Applying GLES 2.0 shaders

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
caseybasichis
Greenskin

Applying GLES 2.0 shaders

Post by caseybasichis » Thu May 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi,

I am having trouble finding any help at all with RTSS. The modular aspect is very appealing but finding support has been nightmarish.

Is there a tutorial on how to apply open gl es 2.0 shaders to objects and scenes? If not could anyone give me a bit of an overview of point me to some code?
0 x

jsding
Greenskin

Re: Applying GLES 2.0 shaders

Post by jsding » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:59 pm

I have the same problem. Any tutorial about using GLES2 Render system without RTSS component?

Thanks for your help.
0 x

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:27 am

Without RTSS you use the material system and it Just Works(tm)

With RTSS ... not sure. I also want to better understand RTSS, but it would be to save time on a project. I'm not in a position to do much to improve GLES2 support in RTSS sadly. My understanding is GLES2 is not fully supported by RTSS out of the box, though I imagine it will in time. I couldn't even get it working with plain GLSL, though to be fair my understanding of RTSS is akin to science dog.

The problem with GLES2 support as I see it, is that so many of the builtins from GLSL proper are missing that you find yourself passing more uniforms and doing various transforms for yourself. That makes porting shaders to ES tough unless you understand the shading languages well. Adding RTSS into the mix in that case would be asking for trouble, in my opinion.
0 x

masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by masterfalcon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:34 pm

Let me clarify things. c6burns, you have some things wrong and some things switched around.

First, with the RTSS the material system just works. Otherwise you need to have shaders prepared for every material.

Second, GLES2 is fully supported by the RTSS.

The last paragraph has interesting wording. The first sentence is not a problem with GLES2 support but rather a detail of the specification, it's also identical to GLSL 3.00 and above.
0 x

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 am

Thank you, I stand corrected. I will have to check out RTSS on mobile again knowing that it works and I am just not understanding it.

I am not familiar with GLSL 3+ ... most of my limited experience so far is translating much older shaders to GLES2.
0 x