Weird FPS drop while playing animations gamekit/Ogre

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
j1230xz
Gnoblar

Weird FPS drop while playing animations gamekit/Ogre

Post by j1230xz »

I am having slight FPS issues with ogre (I am using an old ogre build 1.8rc through gamekit). Let me explain:

First: My batch count is perfect (around 50 for the whole scene).

I have noticed that most of the time is lost when i enable the IDLE/STAND animations (skeletal) on my characters (max 18 characters on scene). Now I have profiled my application and noticed very weird stuff, when i enable the animations not only the time to process the animation is increased (that ofcourse makes sense) but the time for rendering is increased a lot (around 3 times). This only happens on Android devices, on linux the times are so small that i cannot notice a change....

This is the result:

Without the animations playing (18 characters): rendering time is around 15 ms,
With the animations playing (18 characters): rendering time is around 45 ms and the time to calc the animations is around 20-35ms. Ofcourse the time to calc the animations is dependand on the CPU and the CPU is pretty slow on my Android device - Samsung Galaxy S. Actually if I get to lower the rendering time, I will have a great FPS on this device

Any help is appreciated :), thanks
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Re: Weird FPS drop while playing animations gamekit/Ogre

Post by syedhs »

My wife is using Samsung Galaxy S and it can play Temple Run, but quite slow, and it has only one character. I definitely think 18 characters are stretching the device a lot.
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
j1230xz
Gnoblar

Re: Weird FPS drop while playing animations gamekit/Ogre

Post by j1230xz »

syedhs wrote:My wife is using Samsung Galaxy S and it can play Temple Run, but quite slow, and it has only one character. I definitely think 18 characters are stretching the device a lot.
Thanks syedhs.... I actually needed someone to confirm this :)